Author Topic: BRY-97  (Read 2311 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: BRY-97
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2021, 08:00:58 am »
I'm doing a yeast experiment with cider.  Four different yeasts into plain untreated apple juice from local sources.  Three yeasts started right up within like 6 hours.  Meanwhile, BRY-97 did nothing after 48 hours.  So I doubled the yeast pitch.  Now after 3.5 days, I finally have activity.

What this means to most of you, with respect to brewing beer, I don't know.  But I can tell you, for cider, this strain does not seem to be happy.

OTOH, I've had 20 hour starts with BRY in cider.  I don't think either of us can generalize based on a single trial.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2021, 08:18:28 am »
I'm doing a yeast experiment with cider.  Four different yeasts into plain untreated apple juice from local sources.  Three yeasts started right up within like 6 hours.  Meanwhile, BRY-97 did nothing after 48 hours.  So I doubled the yeast pitch.  Now after 3.5 days, I finally have activity.

What this means to most of you, with respect to brewing beer, I don't know.  But I can tell you, for cider, this strain does not seem to be happy.

OTOH, I've had 20 hour starts with BRY in cider.  I don't think either of us can generalize based on a single trial.
The first time I used 97 I had heard about longer lag times and I definitely experienced that. Every other time since it's been average for what I see in most dry ale yeasts...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2021, 10:30:25 am »
So a pack into 3.5 gallons of wort should be about perfect. I recently used Bry-97 in 5.5 gallons of 1.065 Black IPA and it took off within probably 12 hours. It was 2 packs pitched dry. Finished at 1.016. Still awaiting results on how the beer tastes cold and carbonated. But I expect it'll be good.

That is a fairly high final gravity for BRY-97.  I usually get at least 80% AA.
I suppose,yeah. I'd like it to have finished at 1.012-1.014, but 1.016 is an OK gravity for Black IPA in my opinion. Any higher and I wouldn't be so happy about it.
But it was 86% Briess Pale Ale Malt, 7% C40, and 7% Midnight Wheat. So perhaps it was related to the grainbill, not the yeast. Mashed at 152F for 60 or 70 minutes.
Jesse