Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning Plastic Fermenter with Acetobacter infection  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
Cleaning Plastic Fermenter with Acetobacter infection
« on: October 13, 2021, 06:10:57 pm »
Hello all. Planning my first brew in about a year and a half. Located my Bigmouth Bubbler plastic fermenter in the garage, full of the remnants of my last batch from 18 months ago. It was never cleaned. (I know that I suck for letting that happen.) Overpowering smell of vinegar when I pop the lid off.
Any chance of cleaning and reusing this thing, or is it a goner?I've got alkaline brewery wash,  star San, iodophor and bleach. I just don't want my first batch back to be vinegar.

Thanks!

Joel

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Cleaning Plastic Fermenter with Acetobacter infection
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 06:49:25 pm »
I wouldn't risk it.  I've had multiple bad experiences with permanently contaminated plastic.  No one else will agree with me.  But my experience hasn't been good.  No amount of sanitizer is enough sometimes.  Maybe you'll get lucky.  Maybe not.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 06:51:38 pm »
That's what I was afraid of.  Looks like I'll be picking up a new fermenter along with my grain.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 07:11:16 pm »
It's totally salvageable. Clean it with soap and sponge and elbow grease until the solid crud is gone and no longer visible. This is key--manually get all the crud off before proceeding, and give it a good visual inspection to ensure this. Then soak it extra long in double-strength brewery wash with the hottest water the plastic can stand. The use double-strength bleach for an overnight soak. Rinse well, it'll be good to go.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 08:52:59 pm »
I agree with Dave. Why risk a batch for a fermenter that can be replaced for about the same price.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 04:48:39 am »
It's totally salvageable. Clean it with soap and sponge and elbow grease until the solid crud is gone and no longer visible. This is key--manually get all the crud off before proceeding, and give it a good visual inspection to ensure this. Then soak it extra long in double-strength brewery wash with the hottest water the plastic can stand. The use double-strength bleach for an overnight soak. Rinse well, it'll be good to go.

+1 -- as long as there are no gashes or deep scratches it will be fine.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 08:24:59 am »
Sure, with a deep cleaning and sanitizing it will be fine.  You've got the Craftneister alkaline so you're off to a good start.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 09:02:19 am »
Just be mindful not to exceed 140F for the water temperature with the cleanser - the manufacturer expressly states that in its product description:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/big-mouth-bubbler-6-5-gallon-plastic-fermentor

Good luck!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

Cleaning Plastic Fermenter with Acetobacter infection
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 09:48:42 am »
I have always had great results with Iodophor for sanitizer after cleaning. Acetobacter is gram-negative so I believe Iodophor kills acetobacter.

Rinse your cleaner off well. The Iodine complex and the Iodophor concentrate are acidic solutions.  Mixing into any water that has residual alkaline detergent will neutralize the solution. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:51:35 am by BrewBama »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 10:04:40 am »
I have always had great results with Iodophor for sanitizer after cleaning. Acetobacter is gram-negative so I believe Iodophor kills acetobacter.

Rinse your cleaner off well. The Iodine complex and the Iodophor concentrate are acidic solutions.  Mixing into any water that has residual alkaline detergent will neutralize the solution. 

i am a big fan of iodophor, i just found starsan more annoying to deal with. tell me im wrong, im just saying from personal experience. the only disadvantage of iodophor is that if i leave it out longer than an hour i feel like it should be remade fresh.

can time be a factor in removing an infection? intense cleaning and then leaving it alone for a good while (months), then cleaning again?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 10:09:15 am »
can time be a factor in removing an infection? intense cleaning and then leaving it alone for a good while (months), then cleaning again?

Great question.  I think time could play a role.  If wild beasts have nothing to feed on for months or years, they may die on their own.  Maybe.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 10:45:39 am »
i am a big fan of iodophor, i just found starsan more annoying to deal with. tell me im wrong, im just saying from personal experience. the only disadvantage of iodophor is that if i leave it out longer than an hour i feel like it should be remade fresh.

Iodophor doesn't volatilize that quickly unless you're using hot water, which you shouldn't be using with it. I keep a bucket of iodophor solution permanently on hand in my garage (saves water not to make a new solution every time), and I have to top it off with iodophor about once every 7-10 days.

Why clean, wait months, and then clean again? I don't immediately see what purpose this would serve.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 01:00:05 pm »
The mfr of the Iodophor I use says “Typically the Iodine mixed into solution will gas back into the atmosphere in roughly 12-24 hours, turning back to clear water.  In a completely air tight container, this shelf life is likely far greater, but it's pretty difficult to put an exact number on it for time.  There are things you can look for in solution color (amber vs. clear) and using Iodine test strips as a guide.”

Personally, I mix a fresh solution in a small batch every time I have a brewery-related task, then discard and mix new when I'm doing something again.  It's cheap enough per use to do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 01:29:31 pm »
The mfr of the Iodophor I use says “Typically the Iodine mixed into solution will gas back into the atmosphere in roughly 12-24 hours, turning back to clear water.  In a completely air tight container, this shelf life is likely far greater, but it's pretty difficult to put an exact number on it for time.  There are things you can look for in solution color (amber vs. clear) and using Iodine test strips as a guide.”

Personally, I mix a fresh solution in a small batch every time I have a brewery-related task, then discard and mix new when I'm doing something again.  It's cheap enough per use to do this.

lol, ive been using iodophor for about 10 of the last 15 years of brewing with 5 years of starsan in the middle.

thank you guys, that helps a lot.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 03:01:19 pm »
Great info everyone. Thank you. I think I'm going to pick up a good old-fashioned 6 gallon bucket for this batch, but I will keep the bubbler around and perform a thorough cleaning and sanitizing. I'll put it back into use once I'm sure I'm making good beer after the long layoff.  I just know if I use it on this batch I won't enjoy it.