Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Cider Fermentation  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
First Cider Fermentation
« on: October 18, 2021, 06:59:23 pm »
I purchased some delicious locally grown and pressed apple cider. It was UV ray pasteurized and seemed perfect for fermenting so I said what the hell. I must admit ive never seen a krausen that looked like this before. I pitched a sachet of cellar science Nectar dry yeast with some yeast nutrient.

Any experienced cider makers seen something like this before.

Fermentation started rocking at about 36 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: First Cider Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 09:00:18 am »
I purchased some delicious locally grown and pressed apple cider. It was UV ray pasteurized and seemed perfect for fermenting so I said what the hell. I must admit ive never seen a krausen that looked like this before. I pitched a sachet of cellar science Nectar dry yeast with some yeast nutrient.

Perfectly normal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 03:31:10 pm »

Perfectly normal.

Now we talking

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 07:58:52 pm »
Yeah looks normal
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 01:58:18 pm »
Tastes great, gonna keg it and let it condition for a bit

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 05:15:13 am »

I've been making cider off-and-on the past year so not a seasoned veteran by any means, but your krausen looks pretty normal to what I've seen. I've had some fermentation produce a lot of krausen, and other not so much.

The two batches in the pic below were both pitched at the same time. OG boost with table sugar on the left, Agave syrup on the right (I couldn't detect any flavor differences). Both batches tasted fine despite the krausen difference.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 07:23:55 am »
Thanks! I just kegged it last night now ill bulk age it, its about 7 percent but still has some apple flavor and aroma and is tart, very pleased with it. Have you noticed a difference in taste after a littlr age?

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 09:49:03 am »
Have you noticed a difference in taste after a littlr age?

Absolutely! The type of yeast makes quite a difference as well. I was using Cider House Select yeast for most of last year. Cider tasted slightly "barfy" the first week off the rack. A month later it was better, and three months later the off flavor was gone with just delicious cider left behind. I've been told this is due to infection, but also told it wouldn't clear up over time so I don't know what's going on there. I suspect the table sugar has wild stuff in it that's competing with the yeast and I should probably pastuerize it before adding to the cider. This might solve the problem.

I saw a youtube video earlier this year where they used S04 in their cider. I thought cider needed specific yeast but guess not. I had some S04 in the freezer and gave it a try. Wow, what a difference! The cider is nearly drinkable right off the cake. Very little detectable off-flavor. I've aged some S04 out a couple weeks and it just gets better. Last week I tried some Kviek. It's super clear. Going to try that this Friday with some friends.

Cider definitely benefits from aging. How long might depend on your process.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 10:03:52 am »
Thanks! I just kegged it last night now ill bulk age it, its about 7 percent but still has some apple flavor and aroma and is tart, very pleased with it. Have you noticed a difference in taste after a littlr age?

I find that most of mine improve markedly after a year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 10:04:05 am »
Very nice, I pitched a sachet of nectar from cellar sciences. It says it has a english parent gene wise but who knows. Im very satisfied so far with this. It was just 5 gallons of UV ray pasteurized cider from the local orchard and a pack of yeast. Almost seems like cheating compared to brewing beer lol

Fire Rooster

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 11:10:08 am »
Have you noticed a difference in taste after a littlr age?

Absolutely! The type of yeast makes quite a difference as well. I was using Cider House Select yeast for most of last year. Cider tasted slightly "barfy" the first week off the rack. A month later it was better, and three months later the off flavor was gone with just delicious cider left behind. I've been told this is due to infection, but also told it wouldn't clear up over time so I don't know what's going on there. I suspect the table sugar has wild stuff in it that's competing with the yeast and I should probably pastuerize it before adding to the cider. This might solve the problem.

I saw a youtube video earlier this year where they used S04 in their cider. I thought cider needed specific yeast but guess not. I had some S04 in the freezer and gave it a try. Wow, what a difference! The cider is nearly drinkable right off the cake. Very little detectable off-flavor. I've aged some S04 out a couple weeks and it just gets better. Last week I tried some Kviek. It's super clear. Going to try that this Friday with some friends.

Cider definitely benefits from aging. How long might depend on your process.

FYI

https://www.homecidermaking.com/reusing-s-04-yeast-for-making-hard-cider/

https://www.instructables.com/Simple-Hard-Cider/

https://thewholeportion.com/which-is-the-best-cider-yeast/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:12:54 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 11:44:37 am »
Almost seems like cheating compared to brewing beer lol

It does! I don't know how much of the cider experimentation knowledge can be transferred to home brewing, but I've found it a cheap way to experiment with yeast anyhow. I also tried a couple cider batches dry hopped with (1/4oz per gallon) of Ekuanot and then another with Amarillo. They were both mighty different flavors and aromas. It got me thinking about contact time for dry hopping and not just the amount of hops being added. I've read about that before but couldn't find a feasible way to apply it in some regular, experimental fashion when a batch of beer takes me six weeks to go through.

FYI

Thanks for the info! I've heard about Côte des Blancs and needing to cut off fermentation early. It's intriguing.  I've got some WY 1450 sitting in the fridge right now. It's such an oddly fragrant variety of yeast I'm curious about what it might be like in some cider.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 06:44:56 am »
Almost seems like cheating compared to brewing beer lol

It does! I don't know how much of the cider experimentation knowledge can be transferred to home brewing, but I've found it a cheap way to experiment with yeast anyhow. I also tried a couple cider batches dry hopped with (1/4oz per gallon) of Ekuanot and then another with Amarillo. They were both mighty different flavors and aromas. It got me thinking about contact time for dry hopping and not just the amount of hops being added. I've read about that before but couldn't find a feasible way to apply it in some regular, experimental fashion when a batch of beer takes me six weeks to go through.

FYI

Thanks for the info! I've heard about Côte des Blancs and needing to cut off fermentation early. It's intriguing.  I've got some WY 1450 sitting in the fridge right now. It's such an oddly fragrant variety of yeast I'm curious about what it might be like in some cider.

Never tried before, you sparked my interest.

* 64 oz organic pasteurized apple juice
* 1/2 teaspoon S-04
* 2 tablespoons honey
* Sanitized inside balloon, poked holes with pin, stretched over top of apple juice container.
* basement 64 F

Lets see what happens

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 06:47:11 am »
Keep us updated

Fire Rooster

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 06:54:32 am »
Keep us updated

Will do.
Ferment 3 weeks, bottle condition/carb 3 weeks.
Poured a little out to leave room for fermentation.
Top of apple juice container is tapered, so oxygen exposure is limited, from there anyway.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 08:10:15 am by Fire Rooster »