Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Huntsville  (Read 8355 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Huntsville
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2021, 05:18:08 pm »
... For example today it was 33F in the morning and it will go up to 55F in the afternoon. Lots of sun,…

We went to Yellowhammer for lunch today. Great pizza, great beer, great outdoors so the grandkids can run and play. We had to pull our jackets off it was so nice out.

I would add that if you’re a fisherman, the TN River has some of the best fishing in the country. That’s why the Bass Master’s and American Crappie Trail has a stop here every year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like Sam and Gregg’s downtown for pizza, beer, and custard. They have good pizza on the square and about 15-20 taps. Prost!

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2021, 04:32:50 pm »
Tommy & BamaBrew,
Thanks.  I am Navy so aside from my time at Auburn (War Eagle) I haven't spent much time in the state, and only a very little since 1996.  Alabama (and a few other states) won't tax my military pension when I retire, one of the attractions of several states in the south.  We are also tired of the cold.  We have lived in Maine, Washington State, Hawaii, Guam, Florida, the Carolinas and Virginia.  Stuck in DC now and way too crowded. 
My son lives in Huntsville and likes the area.  We have been down twice to visit and liked the space and friendliness of the people (they aren't that way in Boston or DC). 
I get serious and drop my papers the first of the year.
We did get to try Yellowhammer last time we were down and liked the beer and the pizza.  Thinking about Rocket Republic to try out this time. 
There aren't any homebrew shops in the area, how do you get supplies?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2021, 04:55:22 pm »
Tommy & BamaBrew,
Thanks.  I am Navy so aside from my time at Auburn (War Eagle) I haven't spent much time in the state, and only a very little since 1996.  Alabama (and a few other states) won't tax my military pension when I retire, one of the attractions of several states in the south.  We are also tired of the cold.  We have lived in Maine, Washington State, Hawaii, Guam, Florida, the Carolinas and Virginia.  Stuck in DC now and way too crowded. 
My son lives in Huntsville and likes the area.  We have been down twice to visit and liked the space and friendliness of the people (they aren't that way in Boston or DC). 
We did get to try Yellowhammer last time we were down and liked the beer and the pizza.  Thinking about Rocket Republic to try out this time. 
There aren't any homebrew shops in the area, how do you get supplies?
Some breweries will sell you a sack of grain. A health food store, Pearly’s, sells homebrew supplies. They don’t have liquid yeast. They will order you a sack of grain. They are expensive, but not terrible. My main beef with them is they don’t understand homebrewing. So, all the grain is in one pound bags and they don’t seem to have enough base malt to actually build a recipe. I do buy some specialty malts there. I bought a 1.5 years expired pack of dry yeast there last week (it was on sale).

Then there’s the Internet. I buy most ingredients there.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2021, 05:40:11 pm »
Homebrewing supplies arrive on my front step. I can’t count on Pearly’s but I go there from time to time for common items. MoreBeer is my go to.

I am also retired military. If you are looking for a post military job the area is very vet friendly especially aviation or missile careers.  Also, a lot of medical facilities honor TriCare.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2021, 05:20:37 pm »
... For example today it was 33F in the morning and it will go up to 55F in the afternoon. Lots of sun,…

We went to Yellowhammer for lunch today. Great pizza, great beer, great outdoors so the grandkids can run and play. We had to pull our jackets off it was so nice out.

I would add that if you’re a fisherman, the TN River has some of the best fishing in the country. That’s why the Bass Master’s and American Crappie Trail has a stop here every year.

We are transforming the Downtown Rocket Republic ... there will be a restaurant (run by the Church Street Wine Group) and we will be featuring some very exclusive beers. This will happen around the first of '22. I'm really excited about it and hope y'all will come check it out when it is finished.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2021, 05:41:44 pm »
Sounds like a great idea!  I am a member of a small group of vets that meets at various places around town monthly. This sounds like a good meeting place. Keep us posted.

Bier bewusst genießen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2021, 06:19:54 pm »
Awesome! You can expect some serious hand pulled firkin action (beer engine!). Also going to put in some guest taps and a Belgian bottle selection along with my own beers.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2021, 09:00:41 pm »
Can’t wait to try it.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2021, 06:34:26 pm »
I suspect you won't have the new downtown Rocket Republic done when we are down, so will look for it on our next trip. 

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2021, 06:42:57 pm »
Homebrewing supplies arrive on my front step. I can’t count on Pearly’s but I go there from time to time for common items. MoreBeer is my go to.

I am also retired military. If you are looking for a post military job the area is very vet friendly especially aviation or missile careers.  Also, a lot of medical facilities honor TriCare.

I drive submarines by trade, but a desk for the past four years - which is why I need to retire. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2021, 02:54:24 am »
I suspect you won't have the new downtown Rocket Republic done when we are down, so will look for it on our next trip.

It's open though, we just won't have the beer engine or the side poor taps. The beer is good now and the lines are cleaned bi-weekly so you can get a good pint there. There's also the Madison location where the brewery is actually located. Stop out and I'll give you a brewery tour a d a beer sample.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2021, 09:08:49 am »

It's open though, we just won't have the beer engine or the side poor taps. The beer is good now and the lines are cleaned bi-weekly so you can get a good pint there. There's also the Madison location where the brewery is actually located. Stop out and I'll give you a brewery tour a d a beer sample.

Excellent.  Looking forward to it.  Always like to try new beer and new places. 

Offline BrewBama

Huntsville
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2021, 09:51:53 am »
Middle of Dec and I opened the windows to get the beautiful 70*F day’s fresh air into the house.

Edit: spoke too soon. Had to close the windows for a cpl rain showers passing thru.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 06:55:09 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2021, 03:41:36 pm »
Warm up here in DC as well, had to cut the grass it has been so warm.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2021, 09:05:00 pm »

We were stationed there for three years, and unless something drastic changes, greater HSV is our leading contender for retirement locales.  South enough for me; north enough for my wife; and the job market is strong. I just hope I don't get priced out of the real estate market...
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.