Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mr Freeze  (Read 1866 times)

Fire Rooster

Mr Freeze
« on: October 20, 2021, 01:54:10 pm »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mr Freeze
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 02:54:36 pm »
Not a bad article.  I saw the YCH prototype machine when it as first put into operation.  At that time, we weren't allowed to take pics or say much about it.  We've had Spencer (mentioned in the article) on the podcast.  I've also tried some of the other forms they mention, like Lupomax.  Not bad, but nowhere near what cryo is like.  We're gonna be doing more talking to YCH in the near future, so if anyone has any specific questions about cryo let me know.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 03:00:22 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Mr Freeze
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 06:32:36 pm »
Sounds like making hashish: Separate the resin glands from the plant material and compress it for storage.

My only question for the good folks at YCH would be is: When will availability of other cryo blends such as Vet blend be coming to market? IOW… what’s next?

I am definitely an advocate of cryo hops. Great flavor when used in conjunction with the survivables booklet.

Bier bewusst genießen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 06:30:36 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 08:03:01 am »
Sounds like making hashish: Separate the resin glands from the plant material and compress it for storage.

My only question for the good folks at YCH would be is: When will availability of other cryo blends such as Vet blend be coming to market? IOW… what’s next?

I am definitely an advocate of cryo hops. Great flavor when used in conjunction with the survivables booklet.

Bier bewusst genießen

AFAIK, Vet's blend isnt cryo.i haven't gotten any this year, but I have in the past and neither it nor Pink Boots were cryo. Currently a lot of research is going into other survivables blends, like CryoPop.  The idea is to have blends that emphasize different flavors.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 08:08:29 am »
I tried the original cryo product once in an American lager - essentially an IPL.  Worked great, though club members said it’s for west coast and NEIPAs pretty much exclusively.  My response was - try it in other beers and see for yourself.  I am going to try the cryopop in a basic American lager and see how that turns out (bittering with just a touch of Magnum or similar and tossing in the cryopop in the whirlpool for the chill down).  I love this hobby - always something new to learn from.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 08:09:48 am »
I tried the original cryo product once in an American lager - essentially an IPL.  Worked great, though club members said it’s for west coast and NEIPAs pretty much exclusively.  My response was - try it in other beers and see for yourself.  I am going to try the cryopop in a basic American lager and see how that turns out (bittering with just a touch of Magnum or similar and tossing in the cryopop in the whirlpool for the chill down).  I love this hobby - always something new to learn from.

I can tell you that it will produce a very fruity lager.  Nothing wrong with that, just be aware.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 08:17:26 am »
For sure - that flavor wheel in the survivables booklet says it all.  Will it lager…..I hope so.  A “NEIPL” perhaps?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

Mr Freeze
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 11:41:38 am »

AFAIK, Vet's blend isnt cryo…
Exactly, that’s my question; when (if) they will make Vet blend cryo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 11:44:06 am »

AFAIK, Vet's blend isnt cryo…
Exactly, that’s my question; when (if) they will make Vet blend cryo?

OK, got it!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 05:28:56 pm »
I'd love to see this technology get licensed out so we can start seeing varieties like Galaxy, Nelson, Vic Secret, Motueka, etc., available as cryo hops. Southern Hemisphere hops would be an ideal fit for cryo.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 08:56:56 am »
I'd love to see this technology get licensed out so we can start seeing varieties like Galaxy, Nelson, Vic Secret, Motueka, etc., available as cryo hops. Southern Hemisphere hops would be an ideal fit for cryo.

Why would those be ideal for cryo?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 09:21:19 am »

Why would those be ideal for cryo?
They are big tropical/citrus-forward hops that are often used in large quantities as late/dry hops. Exactly the type of usage that benefits from having less vegetative material in the kettle and fermenter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Fire Rooster

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 02:22:57 pm »

I am definitely an advocate of cryo hops.

Time will tell, currently I'm leaning towards Cryo also, over whole cone and T-90 pellets.
My current thought is T-90 stands for 90% sticks and leaves.
That would explain grassy, earthy, etc...

Offline BrewBama

Mr Freeze
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 06:22:00 pm »

Time will tell, currently I'm leaning towards Cryo also, over whole cone and T-90 pellets.
You’re not far off from the T-90 definition. It basically means 90% ‘green matter’.

If you have frozen hops you could separate the lupulin glands from the ‘green matter’ yourself. I posted how I think you could do it using CO2 extraction (dry ice) but I took it down because it is also commonly used to separate other resin glands from other green material.  I decided I didn’t want to give that instruction here. You can find it thru Google or YouTube if interested. (It’s really easy)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 12:10:13 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 07:40:19 am »

You’re not far off from the T-90 definition. It basically means 90% ‘green matter’.

If you have frozen hops you could separate the lupulin glands from the ‘green matter’ yourself. I posted how I think you could do it using CO2 extraction (dry ice) but I took it down because it is also commonly used to separate other resin glands from other green material.  I decided I didn’t want to give that instruction here. You can find it thru Google or YouTube if interested. (It’s really easy)

You don't end up with anything much like cryo hops doing that. The process is a bit more sophisticated.

www.dennybrew.com