Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Found Old Grains  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Bevel

• 1st Kit
  • Bevel
Found Old Grains
« on: October 23, 2021, 08:25:57 am »
Hi all, doing some cleaning and found some 2 row grains that I must have misplaced at some point. I  had them crushed when I bought them in December 2020 and I stored them in food saver bags with the air pulled out - room temp about 70-75. I have a strong feeling they are either stale or rancid (can they become rancid?). Should I just toss them or do you think there is a chance they might be decent after 10-11 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Found Old Grains
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 08:45:59 am »
I would make dog treats out of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 08:53:37 am »
I'd say you have a decent chance they're OK.  But if there's not much, I'd toss it just to be safe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bevel

• 1st Kit
  • Bevel
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 10:21:48 am »
Cool thanks. Yeah I’d say it’s under 5 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 11:41:47 am »
If they were stored vacuum sealed in a dry place, then at worst, the grains might be a touch on the stale side, but otherwise they should be perfectly fine to brew with. The caveat is if they have any mold on them. Give them a close inspection. If there's any mold whatsoever, toss them.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 01:45:32 pm »
It's only a few pounds. Throw them away!

I just dumped two 1/2 gallon yeast slurries, because of age. Not going to take a chance with old ingredients.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 06:21:00 am »
I agree with those who suggest tossing them.  As I understand, once the grains are milled they should be used in a couple days.  A pound of grain costs under $2 from most HBS stores and in my opinion, $2 isn’t worth taking a chance.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 08:47:36 am »
I agree with those who suggest tossing them.  As I understand, once the grains are milled they should be used in a couple days.  A pound of grain costs under $2 from most HBS stores and in my opinion, $2 isn’t worth taking a chance.

Briess says their premilled grain is good for 2 years.  I've gone 5 months with no problem.  Of course, that assumes proper storage.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 09:46:32 am »
I'm in the get rid of them camp.
Why waste your time and energy using questionable ingredients?
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 11:08:35 am »

Nah milled grains last a very long time if, as has already been said, they are stored properly, which mainly means keeping them in a dry place. I once used 2 year old milled grains, and the beer was fine.

But even if stored in a dry place, they could still get moldy due to moisture produced and brought in via pest infestation (e.g. the Sawtoothed grain beetle). So always a good idea to check old grains for mold and never to use them if any is seen.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 05:53:02 am »

Briess says their premilled grain is good for 2 years.  I've gone 5 months with no problem.  Of course, that assumes proper storage.

I agree. Pre-milled grain lasts a long time.  However, once it’s milled it should be used within a couple days.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Found Old Grains
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 05:57:42 am »
I mill and mash grains within a few minutes of each other

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:02:24 am by BrewBama »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 08:23:15 am »
Toss 'em.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 08:29:18 am »

I agree. Pre-milled grain lasts a long time.  However, once it’s milled it should be used within a couple days.

Afraid I don't understand...pre milled means its already milled.  Briess says 2 years.  My own experience with milled grain is that 5 months was fine.

www.dennybrew.com

Fire Rooster

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 08:45:02 am »
Our household rule for any food or drink.
"If in doubt, throw it out"