Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Found Old Grains  (Read 1897 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Found Old Grains
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 05:42:42 am »
I agree with those who suggest tossing them.  As I understand, once the grains are milled they should be used in a couple days.  A pound of grain costs under $2 from most HBS stores and in my opinion, $2 isn’t worth taking a chance.

Briess says their premilled grain is good for 2 years.  I've gone 5 months with no problem.  Of course, that assumes proper storage.

I agree. Pre-milled grain lasts a long time.  However, once it’s milled it should be used within a couple days.

Afraid I don't understand...pre milled means its already milled.  Briess says 2 years.  My own experience with milled grain is that 5 months was fine.

Pre-milled is prior to milling.  You are thinking of grains that are “pre-milled” at the HB supply before shipping.  I have learned, and have always practiced, milling my grains within minutes of mashing to achieve maximum freshness.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 08:53:19 am »
I agree with those who suggest tossing them.  As I understand, once the grains are milled they should be used in a couple days.  A pound of grain costs under $2 from most HBS stores and in my opinion, $2 isn’t worth taking a chance.

Briess says their premilled grain is good for 2 years.  I've gone 5 months with no problem.  Of course, that assumes proper storage.

I agree. Pre-milled grain lasts a long time.  However, once it’s milled it should be used within a couple days.

Afraid I don't understand...pre milled means its already milled.  Briess says 2 years.  My own experience with milled grain is that 5 months was fine.

Pre-milled is prior to milling.  You are thinking of grains that are “pre-milled” at the HB supply before shipping.  I have learned, and have always practiced, milling my grains within minutes of mashing to achieve maximum freshness.

No, I'm talking about the bags of pre milled grain that Briess sells to breweries.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 09:53:04 am »

Ah. The George Carlin definition of the prefix "pre": https://youtu.be/wBo3-XnhXNM

I won't speak for everyone else but I consider "pre"-milled to mean grains that are milled well in advance of use, and stored for some amount of time. This definition seems kind of self-evident from the context of this thread.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 10:08:50 am »

Ah. The George Carlin definition of the prefix "pre": https://youtu.be/wBo3-XnhXNM

I won't speak for everyone else but I consider "pre"-milled to mean grains that are milled well in advance of use, and stored for some amount of time. This definition seems kind of self-evident from the context of this thread.

I'm afraid I'm still confused....the Briess grains are milled at the factory, bagged, and stored until they're sold and used.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 11:04:44 am »
We always purchase bulk grain in whole form, not milled or crushed.
I am very picky about the crushing process, and want to do it myself.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 11:10:19 am »
We always purchase bulk grain in whole form, not milled or crushed.
I am very picky about the crushing process, and want to do it myself.

That's fine, but not everyone is like that.  Many commercial breweries buy pre milled grain.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2021, 11:16:37 am »
Funny, but pre-milled to me means the grains have been milled prior to sale to the end user.  Does that make the word "pre-milled" equivalent to "milled"?  I guess so.  And probably equal in meaning to "post-milled", too.

After posting, it made me think of the word "cleave", which can have entirely opposite meanings, depending on usage:  To cleave can mean to divide or to bind together....English is a weird language - at least to the rest of the world.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:19:01 am by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2021, 03:53:40 pm »
Well, I wasn’t confused, but I gotta say George Carlin makes a good point!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2021, 04:09:00 pm »
Well, I wasn’t confused, but I gotta say George Carlin makes a good point!

Grain comes in two forms, whole grain or crushed.

The “pre” part can be discarded. You buy crushed grain, or you buy whole grain. Simple.

Pre-crushed means before crushing. In a literal sense. Just like Carlin said!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2021, 04:39:07 pm »

I have used pre-milled that are 6 months or more old with no problems.  A quick way to check is to chew some of them.  If they are pasty, toss 'em.  If they are still crunchy, then go ahead and use them.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2021, 05:34:12 am »
I’m getting a pre-headache  :-\
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:36:55 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2021, 07:53:55 am »

I have used pre-milled that are 6 months or more old with no problems.  A quick way to check is to chew some of them.  If they are pasty, toss 'em.  If they are still crunchy, then go ahead and use them.

Or buy some fresh malt and compare them "side-by-side".

Been there, done that.  5 months crushed was almost the same as brand new, and made beer that couldn't be distinguished from new.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2021, 08:43:46 am »
I’m getting a pre-headache  :-\

That's what she said...

narvin

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2021, 02:43:16 pm »
I think some are confusing "pre-milled", meaning prepared (milled) in advance, with pre-milling, describing the grain before milling  ;D