Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Remote sensing thermometer  (Read 786 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Remote sensing thermometer
« on: October 25, 2021, 02:36:47 pm »
When I start my brew day, I turn the propane burner on the kettle, then go off and do something else as it takes a half hour or so to heat 9 gallons or so water to my strike temperature of around 175°F.  About three quarters of the time I overshoot that, and find boiling water, which I then have to shut off and let cool or add cold water to knock the temperature back down.

Which got me thinking. I could hook up my Joule that I used for sous vide cooking, then I could remotely monitor the temperature with the app on my phone. The problem with that idea is: (1) I would have to fill the 15.5 gallon kettle high enough for the Joule to properly circulate, and (2) the Joule has to be plugged in, and draping an extension cord over an active propane burner seems like a bad idea.

Seems like there ought to be something like this already on the market. I envision a battery operated floating digital thermometer that can connect to a phone app.  But searching the internet, I find nothing. Any ideas?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Remote sensing thermometer
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 03:18:08 pm »
I have been using my thermoworks smoke with wifi for that.  I had to buy waterproof probes, but it works fine.  The wifi unit fits in my pocket and has a range of about 100 feet I think.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 06:17:44 am »
Buy a digital meat thermometer. The kind with the probe on a long cord that goes in the oven.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 04:06:32 pm »
Two options as I see it:
1.  Find a good book and sit next to your burner and read while the strike water heats up, take temp of water every 3-5 pages.
2.  Set a timer that you can take with you (phone works) set for a few fewer minutes than you think it takes to get to strike temp.

More gadgets aren't always the answer.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 05:19:10 pm »
Well, thus far Jeff's post wins the day. I did not know Thermoworks sold waterproof probes. I will order one. 

Thank you everyone who responded. And yes, more gadgets wins the day! Denny, remember Brewer With A Thick Wallet?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 05:16:43 am »
I've used my Big Green Egg remote smoker thermometer for years.  Makes monitoring the temps on the outdoor burn from inside much less tedious.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 08:06:30 am »
Maybe just use an Inkbird in a thermowell, with a heating element to get up to mash temp and then finish by propane for the boil?

I used to use these electric water heating sticks with a timer set to turn them on overnight - I would awaken to strike water ready to go:

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/037835-allied-precision-bucket-heater.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=lia&setstore=33&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8eOLBhC1ARIsAOzx5cHXDoSR33aoLl5Xeq9L5DtcAsgiaxAbDQQy0hG8XRSCvlpsvL92WYIaAuo0EALw_wcB

Of course, they used to be a lot cheaper, but everything has gone up in price over the years....

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"