Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: anvil small batch insert - why needed/necessary?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
anvil small batch insert - why needed/necessary?
« on: July 09, 2021, 10:56:51 am »
Ive got the Anvil Foundry and was lately wondering why or if, I would actually need the small batch insert they sell for 2-3 gallon batches?  I mean, I can see it blocks off the side mesh on the grain pipe, but why?  Why would I need or want to do that?  Something Im not getting about the function of that insert or small batch brewing in general?  Anyone do a 2.5 gal batch in the Foundry without the insert? 
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: anvil small batch insert - why needed/necessary?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 06:52:02 pm »
Ive got the Anvil Foundry and was lately wondering why or if, I would actually need the small batch insert they sell for 2-3 gallon batches?  I mean, I can see it blocks off the side mesh on the grain pipe, but why?  Why would I need or want to do that?  Something Im not getting about the function of that insert or small batch brewing in general?  Anyone do a 2.5 gal batch in the Foundry without the insert?
I think it forces the recirculation through the grains rather than around the top and sides. I have heard you can do an non-recirculating batch fine without the insert.

PS. I don’t have a Foundry. I had just read about them when considering buying one.

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 10:08:35 pm »
I have the 10.5 gallon Foundry but not the small batch insert...yet, but I will eventually get one.

“By blocking the high flow side perforations on the basket, recirculating wort is directed through the bottom of the basket. Perfect for half batches, or session beers.”

Makes perfect sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 08:31:33 am »
FWIW. there are no perforations on the side of the insert on the 6.5 gallon Foundry, only the bottom. This insert would make the sleeve more comparable to how the smaller model is designed.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Plop

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 11:24:46 pm »
What has been mentioned is correct, that’s why I bought the 10 gal foundry even if I brew smaller batches.

The ring works ok but it does not seal completely the holes on the side. Because of that it tends to not be that effective in my experience. Also, grains get stuck between the mash tun and the ring. Maybe the shape can be adjusted with some hammering to get a better fit.

Overall if you only brew smaller batches go with the smaller foundry. Otherwise the ring helps but it is not perfect.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 07:32:26 am »
What has been mentioned is correct, that’s why I bought the 10 gal foundry even if I brew smaller batches.

The ring works ok but it does not seal completely the holes on the side. Because of that it tends to not be that effective in my experience. Also, grains get stuck between the mash tun and the ring. Maybe the shape can be adjusted with some hammering to get a better fit.

Overall if you only brew smaller batches go with the smaller foundry. Otherwise the ring helps but it is not perfect.

There is no need to hammer the insert - merely pull the ends open a bit for a tighter fit and be sure to align the opening with the non-perforated seam area of the mash basket.  I have not encountered any problems in terms of grain bits between the ring and the basket, but it seems possible, though not super problematic.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"