Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I know I am new to all of this,  (Read 1539 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
I know I am new to all of this,
« on: October 29, 2021, 11:16:02 am »
But I have become kinda curious about all grain brewing and what it entails.  I am not going to jump in that pool just yet, but have just been thinking about it and watching some youtube videos on it.  Seems a bit more detailed than what I do now, but also seems that you have much more control over what is going to happen and what the end product is.  For a new brewer, what do you all think is the best time to possibly think about switching over to all grain type brewing?  Again, just wondering, I am no where near that stage in my brewing yet.  Thanks all, have a great weekend.  RR

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: I know I am new to all of this,
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 11:17:48 am »
Rather than watch YouTube videos of questionable authority, but the 4th ed. How to Brew by John Palmer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 11:21:09 am »
Rather than watch YouTube videos of questionable authority, but the 4th ed. How to Brew by John Palmer.

Thanks, I will look into it.  Like I said, nowhere near that phase yet, but if and when I get that far in my abilities, and when I have more free time, IE retire, I would like to get into this a bit more and have a few on tap for friends and family. 

Thank you for your input though, I will look into the book.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 11:40:38 am »
I brewed with LME and DME for an unbelievable FIVE YEARS!  Eventually I started brewing all-grain and I love the process but it definitely requires a bit of extra work and it also allows for questions to enter your mind about various pieces of the brewing process that you wouldn't ordinarily have.  I feel like the mash (with all of its variables... temp, pH, water composition, single infusion or step mash) is where so many brewers can get stuck in the mud and that includes me.  You will need some new equipment and you'll also want to have a good strategy regarding the water you use for brewing... either use spring/RO water or else have your source water analyzed so you know what's in it.  Source waters around the country range from "OMG you have the perfect water for brewing" to "unusable".  But there are some people on AHA who are fantastic at simplifying things so that you can concentrate on the important things first and maybe tweak things as needed as you go.  Your brewday will be longer.  You will spend some money on new equipment but grains are far less pricey than extract.  Ask questions here, I guarantee you'll get good information.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:42:21 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 11:47:28 am »

Thanks, I will look into it.  Like I said, nowhere near that phase yet, but if and when I get that far in my abilities, and when I have more free time, IE retire, I would like to get into this a bit more and have a few on tap for friends and family. 

Thank you for your input though, I will look into the book.

That book has excellent info that will take you from your first extract batch all the way to advanced homebrewing

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 12:00:56 pm »
I second that about John Palmer's book - it is a wonderful resource for all levels of brewing.  I got it and a bunch of others and read them all (some were simplistic and others were more technical.  A great set is the Malt, Water, Yeast and Hops books, (but the Water book was a tough read for me at the time.) 

Once I started all grain brewing, I really enjoyed the process so much more, as it felt like I was really brewing from scratch and able to control the process (especially the mash).  You can make absolutely great beer with extracts, so don't get me wrong.  But I enjoy the process so much more with all grain brewing and starting with RO water and building back based on the beer style I am brewing.

You can try out a simple BIAB for a start and you are not precluded from making extract or kit batches, regardless of your brewing knowledge level.

Glad you are finding your way!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 12:32:13 pm »
Awesome info, thanks guys.  Like I said, not there yet, but just looking forward to retiring and spending time in the garage with friends and family enjoying a cold one.  My brother is more into the wheat beers, Shock top, Blue Moon, while I am more an IPA guy.  My ultimate would be to be able to have both on tap so when he comes over I have his and mine at the ready.  But, as I said, that is a ways away as I am into this almost 400 bucks and I don't see my wife going for the upgrade right now.  LOL.  Either way, thanks again all, keep that info coming. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 12:37:07 pm »
Awesome info, thanks guys.  Like I said, not there yet, but just looking forward to retiring and spending time in the garage with friends and family enjoying a cold one.  My brother is more into the wheat beers, Shock top, Blue Moon, while I am more an IPA guy.  My ultimate would be to be able to have both on tap so when he comes over I have his and mine at the ready.  But, as I said, that is a ways away as I am into this almost 400 bucks and I don't see my wife going for the upgrade right now.  LOL.  Either way, thanks again all, keep that info coming.

You can likely do all grain brew in a bag with the equipment you have.  Don't be tempted to spend money on stuff you don't really need at this point.  And at the risk of sounding  self serving, you may want to check out Simple Homebrewing

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 02:31:35 pm »
You can likely do all grain brew in a bag with the equipment you have.  Don't be tempted to spend money on stuff you don't really need at this point.  And at the risk of sounding  self serving, you may want to check out Simple Homebrewing
Tomorrow I'm going try give BIAB a try. The only equipment that is needed beyond what is used for extract brewing is a bag and something to insulate the kettle.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 02:54:32 pm »
I remember this very question being asked before from curious brewers not among them myself. The reason, the first time I ever brewed beer it was from an all in one kit from 1990. John Bull liquid malt in a can. I thought it was going to be so fantastic so much that I invited a couple work buddies over to try before I tried it. It was absolutely and  undeniably an atrocious bucket of swamp nugget drizzlings!! Fast forward 15 years and the urge to make beer started to rumble forth. There was no way I was doing anything but all grain brewing at this juncture in time. Homebrewing had advanced tremendously as far as process, ingredients and knowledge. So, my advice, based solely on my experience, is to read as much as possible ( Palmer is a great start as Denny mentioned) from books, magazines and from this forum for there is a massive deal of knowledge right here. Have a question about something? just ask and you will receive a tremendous amount of feedback. This forum helped elevate my own skills and I am still learning from many of the contributors here just by reading.

Best wishes and Cheers!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 03:03:48 pm »
Tomorrow I'm going try give BIAB a try. The only equipment that is needed beyond what is used for extract brewing is a bag and something to insulate the kettle.

You don't even need to insulate the kettle.  I just stick it on the oven for the mash.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 03:29:39 pm »
During BIAB, I insulate my kettle by wrapping a beach towel around it. You’d think you would need more but after an hour the mash only loses 1-2F.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 05:23:37 pm »
For a new brewer, what do you all think is the best time to possibly think about switching over to all grain type brewing? 
If you are getting good results brewing extract+steep, you are ready to add mashing to the brew day. 

If you are brewing 5 gallon extract batches, one can brew 3 gal BIAB (all-grain) batches with the same equipment plus a bag. 

There are approaches for water and water adjustments that can avoid the "water chemistry rabbit hole" that other forums like to talk about. 

If you let us know 1) what batch size you are brewing and 2) information on the water that you use for brewing, that may help focus the discussion.

Thank you for all the info.  I am on my second 5 gallon brew.  This time, I followed, loosely as I screwed up on a few steps, a brew recipe that was not an all in one deal.  I am on my third glass, and to be honest, it is pretty good.  I have a 5 or 6 gallon pot that I use as my brew kettle.  I bought a kit from Northern Brew that has included two buckets and all the needed hoses and spigots.  A hydrometer, I think that is what you call it, to measure the gravity and a bottle filler, that I have not used.  I have a 5 gallon torpedo keg and a small fridge that was converted into a kegerator.  So far, I have used the tap water from the San Francisco bay area, and I have no idea what is in it as far as chlorine and all that.  All in all, I am enjoying it, and would not be upset if somebody, or many somebody's said I am not ready to get into the grain brew.  Just enjoying the time and learning as much as I can.  RR

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 05:30:34 pm »
I remember this very question being asked before from curious brewers not among them myself. The reason, the first time I ever brewed beer it was from an all in one kit from 1990. John Bull liquid malt in a can. I thought it was going to be so fantastic so much that I invited a couple work buddies over to try before I tried it. It was absolutely and  undeniably an atrocious bucket of swamp nugget drizzlings!! Fast forward 15 years and the urge to make beer started to rumble forth. There was no way I was doing anything but all grain brewing at this juncture in time. Homebrewing had advanced tremendously as far as process, ingredients and knowledge. So, my advice, based solely on my experience, is to read as much as possible ( Palmer is a great start as Denny mentioned) from books, magazines and from this forum for there is a massive deal of knowledge right here. Have a question about something? just ask and you will receive a tremendous amount of feedback. This forum helped elevate my own skills and I am still learning from many of the contributors here just by reading.

Best wishes and Cheers!!

Will agree 100% on what you said about the forum and the members here.  I have gotten so much feedback and support in my quest to start this hobby, it has been amazing.  I check here daily and will read what I can.  I may try the brew in a bag soon, but for now, I am just taking in all I can and learning as I go. 

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 12:56:23 pm »
For a new brewer, what do you all think is the best time to possibly think about switching over to all grain type brewing?

I did precisely one batch of extract before switching to all-grain brew-in-a-bag.  Buy a grain bag, and you can do all grain brewing with only the hardware you already have for extract brewing.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.