Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Bags, Spiders, or neither  (Read 2442 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Hop Bags, Spiders, or neither
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2021, 01:50:18 pm »
I throw the hop pellets in loose, but I had to adjust my counter flow chiller routine to keep it from getting clogged up.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2021, 01:52:41 pm »
Neither is needed. Just one more thing to clean. If the issue is not getting hop matter into the fermenter, that is easily solved by giving the wort a little extra time to settle.

When using a typical all in one system, bag(s) or a spider is needed unless you want a bunch of hop debris transferred into the fermenter. The relatively small diameter makes it all but impossible to whirlpool trub into the center of the BK. There's only so much kettle trub you can contain. Much different than a much broader kettle. Other than that, I agree 100%. When I used a conventional system, all of the hops went in loose.

I use all in ones and that is not the case for me.  With the older models, yep, but with the G40, S40, and G70 no container is needed.  The have a huge screen over the bottom and a center drain.

That may well be true, but those aren't exactly typical all in ones.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2021, 08:38:51 pm »
I currently use a 1520 micron SS hop spider that I custom ordered from Arbor Fab for whole hops. The holes are 1.52mm or 0.060".  Wort boils right through it.  Cleaning this hop spider is as simple as dumping the hops in a trash bag and taking a hose with garden hose nozzle set to stream and spraying it down.  I switched over to using a bag-based spider for pellets.  If the bag clogs, I switch bags.  It is that simple.  I would never use a 300 or 400 micron mesh spider for pellets.   I have learned that that anything less than 600 micron mesh SS screen is going to clog.

When I used a 400 micron mesh hop spider, I used Eazy Off oven cleaner with the yellow cap to remove the build up.  The yellow cap stuff is sodium hydroxide.  The blue cap stuff is not.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 05:09:25 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2021, 10:37:20 pm »
If using hop pellets neither.

Same for me, but for some systems you need to contain the pellets.

I can't think of a reason why unless using a plate chiller. For homebrewed beer there's no reason I can think of to use a plate chiller.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2021, 03:05:05 am »
I currently use a 1520 micron SS hop spider that I custom ordered from Arbor Fab for whole hops. The holes are 1.52mm or 0.060".  Wort boils right through it.  Cleaning this hop spider is as simple as dumping the hops in a trash bag and taking a hose with garden hose nozzle set on stream and spraying it down.  I switched over to using a bag-based spider for pellets.  If the clogs, I switch bags.  It is that simple.  I would never use a 300 or 400 micron mesh spider pellets.   I have learned that that anything less than 600 micron mesh SS screen is going to clog.

When I used a 400 micron mesh hop spider, I use Eazy Off oven cleaner with the yellow cap to remove the build up.  The yellow cap stuff is sodium hydroxide.  The blue cap stuff is not.

Valid point.  Those considering purchasing a hop spider should take note of mesh size.
Wasn't aware of different mesh sizes, or that you could get a custom one.
https://www.arborfab.com/  https://www.arborfab.com/6inMeshSample
Mesh size of hop spider I tossed was 300 micron. Always thought mesh was too small
while using, more so using dried whole leaf.  I'm fine without one now, with my current gear/procedures.
Paying attention to mesh size is good info, for those considering a hop spider.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 04:45:55 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2021, 05:14:57 am »
Valid point.  Those considering purchasing a hop spider should take note of mesh size.
Wasn't aware of different mesh sizes, or that you could get a custom one.
https://www.arborfab.com/  https://www.arborfab.com/6inMeshSample
Mesh size of hop spider I tossed was 300 micron. Always thought mesh was too small
while using, more so using dried whole leaf.  I'm fine without one now, with my current gear/procedures.
Paying attention to mesh size is good info, for those considering a hop spider.

Yes, Arbor Fab will make a spider with any size mesh up 1520 micron.  However, there is an upcharge.  I do not know who thought 300 and 400 micron were a good mesh size for pellets, but that person was clearly not a brewer.  One does not need to hold back the powder.  One needs to hold back the larger particulate matter.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2021, 06:10:21 am »
I use hop bags.  I have a Blichmann plate cooler and I don’t want it to clog.  But as many brewers have stated, you’ll have to adjust your hop utilization factor just a bit.  Cleanup is easy; just toss it in the trash!!

I’ve been using hop bags with my plate cooler for roughly 7 years and about 80 batches with no issues.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Fire Rooster

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2021, 06:15:49 am »
From what I can find 300, 400, 800 are readily available, with 300 being by far the most used.
Here is a 800 micron.
https://www.amazon.com/Micron-Spider-Grainfather-Brewing-System/dp/B01LDFFHNU
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 06:17:55 am by Fire Rooster »