Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First one down, thoughts on second  (Read 4173 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: First one down, thoughts on second
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2021, 03:10:14 pm »
Quick side by side blindfold comparison with Racer 5, results?  The homebrew was a tad stronger flavor wise, and when I say a tad, I mean a tad.  Both were good, and with a bit of tweaking I think this could very well be my go to beer.  Thank you all for input and thanks to DMTaylor for putting the recipe here for me to try.  I think I have something here that could work out pretty well.

We shouldn't be surprised at all that it seems a tad strong.  I imagine it's even more than a tad.  If you follow the recipe straight next time without jacking anything up, it should turn out pretty close to the mark.

US-05 would increase the attenuation by about 10%, thus increasing the ABV by about 1%.  An 8% ABV beer would be stronger than intended.  If you do this, decrease the DME by about 0.5 lb.

Well, for better or for worse, I jacked it up.  I added a full pound of each of the grains instead of just 10oz.  My hope is that it won't make a huge difference, but I guess we will see.  Currently waiting for the wort to cool and will put it in the fermenter to sit for a few.  My hope is that it is at least drinkable, but I guess time will tell.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2021, 04:03:15 pm »
LOL.  will do.  I will be more careful.  Thank you for all the info, it was a fun process, and I learned a bit on the way.  Next time, I will follow the recipe to the letter, with the exception of the boil size, my pot is a bit smaller than what you said, but I will give it a go.  Thank you again   RR

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2021, 05:21:00 am »
I usually set mine ~10-11 psi and wait.

Me too!  I used to burst carbonate, but the beer needs longer than 24 hours to condition.   Sure, it will be carbonated, but it will not be at its best.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2021, 05:28:32 am »
Both were good, and with a bit of tweaking I think this could very well be my go to beer. 

Trust me, if you catch the bug, it will not be your go-to beer for long.  Your palate will become more refined as you gain experience and one flavor profile will not be enough.