Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Joe Williams from UC Davis discusses HSA  (Read 3625 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Joe Williams from UC Davis discusses HSA
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 02:47:33 pm »
Post isn%u2019t showing up DMTaylor

That was on purpose.  I's basically saying, I was going to say something, then decided not to say something, and letting you know that I was going to say something but then decided not to say something.

And now, I know that you know that I know something that you know I won't say anything about.

;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:49:59 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2021, 02:52:48 pm »
Teig is like a grey mud. It’s a tell tale sign of mash oxidation.

I got it a while back. Not pretty.

Bier bewusst genießen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2021, 03:11:18 pm »
Teig is like a grey mud. It’s a tell tale sign of mash oxidation.

I got it a while back. Not pretty.

Bier bewusst genießen

I think I've seen it once or twice over the course of 586 batches, so not common.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 04:05:33 pm »
If you aren't recirculating with a pump, it definitely won't accumulate.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2021, 04:48:50 pm »
If memory serves there was some guy here who said these same things way back when. He was run out on a rail.

Just to clear things up (once again!) he was banned because of his delivery, not the message. I understand you constantly feel the need to stir the pot on this, but you weren't a moderator receiving daily complaints about "his" conduct and constant bickering with other forum members.

Rock --> Moderators <-- Hardplace

And, if this thread gets locked it will be because it was derailed -- not because of its message.

Well I for one didn't mind his delivery style and because of that managed to learn a lot from him.

You may see this post as off topic but in my opinion this subject will always be connected to the person that dropped it here first.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2021, 05:56:51 pm »
Teig=Dough

I've seen it in the past.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 03:48:18 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2021, 04:13:04 am »
Prior to adopting lodo techniques, I saw tieg regularly.
Now I don't.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2021, 06:11:10 am »
Definitely saw it at the Yellowhammer brewhouse (a 20bbl brewhouse from Metal Craft Brand, now a defunct company). That brewhouse has a lot of problems -- that said I was able to win a lot of awards on it. I can't say I ever recall seeing it on any of my homebrews but I have always been one of those that worried about HSA wether I believed it was an actual problem or not. Long before anyone ever talked about "LODO".

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2021, 06:58:20 am »
For the yet unaware it's important to mention that late famous homebrewer (and mathematician) George Fix, Ninkasi and AHA distinguished service award winner, discussed HSA in detail in the 90s.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2021, 06:59:07 am »
I’m not sure if I have seen it before or not.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2021, 07:19:22 am »
I have seen it in my brewery, but not in a long while.  I did not know it was related to O2 until this thread.  So, thank you.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2021, 08:51:01 am »
I have seen it in my brewery, but not in a long while.  I did not know it was related to O2 until this thread.  So, thank you.
Same to me, I see it on most of my brews, I recirc in a BIAB and always thought it was some type of protein

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2021, 09:04:32 am »
If you aren't recirculating with a pump, it definitely won't accumulate.

I wasn't,  but I did see it a couple times.  But a very small % of the batches I've done.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2021, 09:32:16 am »
Near the end of the podcast, when answering how you can tell if you have too much HSA, the guest mentioned something that sounded like "tea formation". Can someone explain to me what he meant?

Teig formation, the top dough.  I thought that was interesting because I never knew it was related to oxidation.  Apparently it was mentioned here a while back:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=32953.0
Michael Dawson mentioned it in the Decoction Day episode of Brewing TV back in 2011 or whenever that was and I always thought it was spelled Taige, because that's how he pronounced it. Proteins, globumins, etc. in the mash. Related to oxidation? I haven't a clue. It's something I've seen even when I do low o2 brewing, so maybe I'm doing something wrong [probably]. But I doubt it. It seems related to grain more than process. I don't know.

EDIT: And I also figured if it was in my mash that meant that those proteins weren't making it into the boil kettle, which I always figured was a good thing. I always noticed it more when I got especially clear wort into the kettle.
I found this thread for reference. I must've been breaking from the homebrew forums when this was started: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=32953.0
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 10:23:14 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2021, 11:31:31 am »
Near the end of the podcast, when answering how you can tell if you have too much HSA, the guest mentioned something that sounded like "tea formation". Can someone explain to me what he meant?

Teig formation, the top dough.  I thought that was interesting because I never knew it was related to oxidation.  Apparently it was mentioned here a while back:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=32953.0
Michael Dawson mentioned it in the Decoction Day episode of Brewing TV back in 2011 or whenever that was and I always thought it was spelled Taige, because that's how he pronounced it. Proteins, globumins, etc. in the mash. Related to oxidation? I haven't a clue. It's something I've seen even when I do low o2 brewing, so maybe I'm doing something wrong [probably]. But I doubt it. It seems related to grain more than process. I don't know.

EDIT: And I also figured if it was in my mash that meant that those proteins weren't making it into the boil kettle, which I always figured was a good thing. I always noticed it more when I got especially clear wort into the kettle.
I found this thread for reference. I must've been breaking from the homebrew forums when this was started: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=32953.0
This was my thinking, and like you, I did get a lot more of the sludge with some malts compared to others. Barke pils and Golden promise give me very little, rahr old world pils and rahr pale ale malt give me a lot