Wash the hops?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
6 (66.7%)
Doesn't matter
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Hops and bugs  (Read 5484 times)

Offline glennsorrentino

• 1st Kit
Hops and bugs
« on: September 16, 2018, 03:33:23 pm »
Hi all - I've been growing hops in my backyard for a few years now, and I've learned that the vines LOVE attracting stuff - bugs, dirt, spider webs, other airborne things...

I just pulled a bunch down, and as I was, lots of particulates were also coming off of them. Looking at the leaves, and then the hops, there are A LOT of aphids and other living creatures.

I've read on this forum and others not to wash your hops - but I want to ask again - should I wash the hops? I  sprayed down the rest of the hops on the vine to see if this helps when I pull down more later. If I shouldn't wash them, should they be trashed? You can see in the image below pretty clearly the level of infestation I'm finding...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:22:18 pm by glennsorrentino »

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Hops and bugs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:37:56 pm »
I suggest not washing the hops but rather freezing them first. Freeze them good. That should kill most of the living things on them, especially the aphids, and they'll then be safer to use.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:44:58 am »
I guarantee you that no hop producer washes their hops.  Especially if you intend to dry them before using, it's unnecessary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 11:01:40 am »
The bugs should leave once you’ve removed the hops from the vine and let them dry out a bit.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 04:49:55 pm »
I guarantee you that no hop producer washes their hops.  Especially if you intend to dry them before using, it's unnecessary.
+1
between drying them, then freezing them, and boiling them- there's little chance that a few tiny insects are going to harm anything.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 08:18:08 am »
I say don't wash. For next year find a nursery or someplace similar that sells lady bugs. I think you can buy them online too. Lady bugs will go after the aphids.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 10:43:38 am »
I say don't wash. For next year find a nursery or someplace similar that sells lady bugs. I think you can buy them online too. Lady bugs will go after the aphids.

we bought a bunch of lady bugs one year, they ate the aphids. then they got hungry and flew off looking for food. the aphids came back, the ladybugs didn't.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline txbrewingbm

• 1st Kit
    • Texas Brewing Inc
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 02:37:49 am »
Very helpful for me, take a note of it.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 06:23:42 am »

we bought a bunch of lady bugs one year, they ate the aphids. then they got hungry and flew off looking for food. the aphids came back, the ladybugs didn't.

You can have our ladybugs. We get swarms of them on warm spring days.  PITA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline David Tapke

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 03:15:57 pm »
control the aphids with neem oil, or a Safer brand insecticidal soap or equivalent. you'll get a better hop crop that way too

Offline Alukard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 09:30:58 am »
It doesn't have to be washed if you are growing it for yourself. I used to store hops in the barn. A bunch of pests appeared there. By treating the granary with fumigation (I got it here https://ajverminatorpestcontrol.com/), you can keep the grain stock from being damaged by pests, mice and mites, which multiply actively in the absence of hygiene, poor ventilation, high humidity and inadequate temperature control in the rooms. In addition to fumigation, hops can also be washed, but this will only create favourable conditions for the spread of infections on the plants.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 07:58:01 am by Alukard »