Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast  (Read 17602 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2021, 06:13:45 am »
I pitched a sachet of verdant ipa from lallemand on Thursday into a British golden ale, wooooh boy I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a thick krausen before!

I'll be doing the same thing very soon, British Golden AK with Verdant.  Can't wait to try it.  Cheers!
I am planning 3 beers with a packet of Verdant I have on hand: a Landlord homage, brown porter, and a West Coast IPA. I’ll probably start with the porter.

I have a keg of Landlord with Notty/Windsor copitch. It’s pretty good but dry and crisp like a lager. I want to try it with a yeast that doesn’t dry it out so much. I’m not sure what Verdant will do for attenuation. I’m hoping for 75-78% rather than 80+.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2021, 06:51:56 am »
I pitched a sachet of verdant ipa from lallemand on Thursday into a British golden ale, wooooh boy I don%u2019t think I%u2019ve ever seen such a thick krausen before!

I'll be doing the same thing very soon, British Golden AK with Verdant.  Can't wait to try it.  Cheers!
I am planning 3 beers with a packet of Verdant I have on hand: a Landlord homage, brown porter, and a West Coast IPA. I%u2019ll probably start with the porter.

I have a keg of Landlord with Notty/Windsor copitch. It%u2019s pretty good but dry and crisp like a lager. I want to try it with a yeast that doesn%u2019t dry it out so much. I%u2019m not sure what Verdant will do for attenuation. I%u2019m hoping for 75-78% rather than 80+.

I'm anticipating approximately 76% attenuation with Verdant.  I usually get about 78% from Notty.

If you want a little lower attenuation, try London which has averaged for me about 67%.  It's similar to Windsor but the latter only averages about 60% if fermenting all by itself.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2021, 06:53:25 am »
Im interested to see what kind of esters this strain is packing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2021, 08:07:55 am »
I pitched a sachet of verdant ipa from lallemand on Thursday into a British golden ale, wooooh boy I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a thick krausen before!

I am planning 3 beers with a packet of Verdant I have on hand: a Landlord homage, brown porter, and a West Coast IPA. I’ll probably start with the porter.

I have a keg of Landlord with Notty/Windsor copitch. It’s pretty good but dry and crisp like a lager. I want to try it with a yeast that doesn’t dry it out so much. I’m not sure what Verdant will do for attenuation. I’m hoping for 75-78% rather than 80+.
Verdant will get you there. It makes a tasty UK style beer. I'm not sure it'll get you what you want for a west coast IPA, though. I've used it for northeast IPAs several times with good results. I think of it as the dry form of wy1318.
Jesse

Online BrewBama

« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2021, 08:20:14 am »

I have a Bourbon Barrel Porter just about ready for Thanksgiving that I fermented with London ESB. Early indications are pretty good. I have some Verdant Mark gave me but I just haven’t used it yet. It never crossed my mind to use it in the Porter. Hmmm…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2021, 08:25:42 am »

Mine was 10 pounds glen-eagle heirloom MO from crisp, 4 ounces of challenger about 35 IBU, as well we 1 pound of simplicity syrup.

The heirloom MO is super pale but really flavorful, may not be too golden. Oh well ordering it was a happy accident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2021, 04:43:18 pm »

Verdant will get you there. It makes a tasty UK style beer. I'm not sure it'll get you what you want for a west coast IPA, though. I've used it for northeast IPAs several times with good results. I think of it as the dry form of wy1318.
Re:WCIPA with Verdant. I may skip that one and do something else. I had that on my list based on the name including IPA. But, I see from their description they are more focused on NEIPA.

From Lallemand description “This highly versatile strain is well suited for a variety of beer styles including NEIPA, English IPA, American Pale, English Bitter, Sweet Stout and Sours”

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2021, 04:48:33 pm »
I pitched a sachet of verdant ipa from lallemand on Thursday into a British golden ale, wooooh boy I don%u2019t think I%u2019ve ever seen such a thick krausen before!

I am planning 3 beers with a packet of Verdant I have on hand: a Landlord homage, brown porter, and a West Coast IPA. I%u2019ll probably start with the porter.

I have a keg of Landlord with Notty/Windsor copitch. It%u2019s pretty good but dry and crisp like a lager. I want to try it with a yeast that doesn%u2019t dry it out so much. I%u2019m not sure what Verdant will do for attenuation. I%u2019m hoping for 75-78% rather than 80+.

I'm anticipating approximately 76% attenuation with Verdant.  I usually get about 78% from Notty.

If you want a little lower attenuation, try London which has averaged for me about 67%.  It's similar to Windsor but the latter only averages about 60% if fermenting all by itself.
I brewed two beers with the Lallemand London Ale yeast, both 1050 SG bitters. Both finished at 1020 SG. They were both good. But, I have a mental block regarding that kind of finish gravity. I can’t get myself to go there again.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2021, 03:05:20 pm »
Mangrove Jack's Empire is another of those low attenuators. I think it's a version of the Newcastle yeast. I think I got in the 60%s last time I used it. As long as it tastes good it doesn't matter what the hydrometer says.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2021, 06:56:08 pm »
Just transferred a batch of red rye ipa onto a slurry if danstar koln from a cream ale. Thinking this yeast will be a mainstay for me.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2021, 07:30:05 am »
Mangrove Jack's Empire is another of those low attenuators. I think it's a version of the Newcastle yeast. I think I got in the 60%s last time I used it. As long as it tastes good it doesn't matter what the hydrometer says.
Almost every Mangrove Jack's yeast I've ever used has been a low attenuator. That's why I tend not to use them anymore.
Jesse

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2021, 08:08:21 am »
Almost every Mangrove Jack's yeast I've ever used has been a low attenuator. That's why I tend not to use them anymore.

That's not a fair assessment.  MJ just repacks yeast from others, so this is just like saying "I don't like Lallemand because I tried Windsor once."  Uh, yeah, well, you used Windsor, so...

Indeed, Empire is probably just Windsor.

But if you try any of the diastaticus repacks, you won't be complaining about low attenuation, I can guarantee that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2021, 11:38:04 am »

That's not a fair assessment.  MJ just repacks yeast from others, so this is just like saying "I don't like Lallemand because I tried Windsor once."  Uh, yeah, well, you used Windsor, so...

But if you try any of the diastaticus repacks, you won't be complaining about low attenuation, I can guarantee that.
Understood. The hefeweizen yeast, while having very good flavor characteristics, gives me poor attenuation. EVERY TIME. I think I used the west coast one once and that attenuated well. The Bavarian lager one was so-so. The workhorse attenuated poorly.
Jesse

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2021, 02:39:06 pm »

Understood. The hefeweizen yeast, while having very good flavor characteristics, gives me poor attenuation. EVERY TIME. I think I used the west coast one once and that attenuated well. The Bavarian lager one was so-so. The workhorse attenuated poorly.

Thanks for sharing these experiences.

I'm honestly not sure what attenuation to expect from the M20 Bavarian Wheat as I believe that's a repack of Mauri Weiss which I've never seen sold in the USA.  And I myself haven't tried M20 (yet!).

The Workhorse is probably Lallemand London, as these are both known to average around 67% attenuation.  Not quite as "bad" as Windsor or M15 Empire, but in a similar ballpark, and all of these strains are in fact very very closely related to one another.
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2021, 02:55:51 pm »

Thanks for sharing these experiences.

I'm honestly not sure what attenuation to expect from the M20 Bavarian Wheat as I believe that's a repack of Mauri Weiss which I've never seen sold in the USA.  And I myself haven't tried M20 (yet!).

The Workhorse is probably Lallemand London, as these are both known to average around 67% attenuation.  Not quite as "bad" as Windsor or M15 Empire, but in a similar ballpark, and all of these strains are in fact very very closely related to one another.

I'd kinda like to know what you're basing these guesses on.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell