Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast  (Read 17607 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2021, 08:17:35 am »
Pulled a hydrometer reading on my golden ale fermented with verdant IPA, ester bomb! For just a sample its pretty tasty

It is just me, but any description that includes "bomb" is not something that sounds appealing. Fruit bomb, peach bomb, ester bomb, hop bomb, etc.

My goal is balance, with all flavors equally contributing to the taste experience, without any bombs going off!

i honestly dont know why people homebrew if they stick exclusively to styles that are extremely available commercially for an affordable price. if i only wanted pale euro lagers, i would probably just buy them.

i would guess the vast majority of people who got into homebrewing did it because they do want a "bomb" of flavour, and were inspired by a beer that was like a bomb in their mouth. i was.

I wasn't. I started homebrewing because I like making things.  Don't assume everyone has the same motivations as you do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2021, 08:30:01 am »
Pulled a hydrometer reading on my golden ale fermented with verdant IPA, ester bomb! For just a sample its pretty tasty

It is just me, but any description that includes "bomb" is not something that sounds appealing. Fruit bomb, peach bomb, ester bomb, hop bomb, etc.

My goal is balance, with all flavors equally contributing to the taste experience, without any bombs going off!

i honestly dont know why people homebrew if they stick exclusively to styles that are extremely available commercially for an affordable price. if i only wanted pale euro lagers, i would probably just buy them.

i would guess the vast majority of people who got into homebrewing did it because they do want a "bomb" of flavour, and were inspired by a beer that was like a bomb in their mouth. i was.

I wasn't. I started homebrewing because I like making things.  Don't assume everyone has the same motivations as you do.

That's where I'm at now. Sampling a beer, checking for carbonation level, clarity, flavor profile is much more enjoyable than downing a few pints.

The brewing process is very enjoyable. Much like cooking a great meal for friends. I enjoy the overall process more than the actual beer.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2021, 08:54:14 am »
Making the beer is the fun part.  Packaging it to give away is the PITA.  So, I have gone to asking donees to provide a soda bottle or container of their choosing to receive some homebrew.  Interesting how many choose the 2 liter soda bottles or growlers...and some have recently asked how long a gallon might keep. 

If you brew just for yourself to consume and to save money, you either have to drink an awful lot or make small batches.  Either way, I don't find it to be a cost saving objective for me. 

As to the thread topic, I enjoy the ability to brew spontaneously using dry yeast, as I don't track my kegs to know when an opening might come up in my brewing lineup.  I used to be able to brew frequently and always had a few open slots to fill the empty kegs - not so much lately with COVID limiting the visitors.  I have recently dumped perfectly good beer in order to free up a keg that had some beer with legs on it.  Now that is passion for your hobby!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2021, 09:03:51 am »
Making the beer is the fun part.  Packaging it to give away is the PITA.  So, I have gone to asking donees to provide a soda bottle or container of their choosing to receive some homebrew.  Interesting how many choose the 2 liter soda bottles or growlers...and some have recently asked how long a gallon might keep. 

If you brew just for yourself to consume and to save money, you either have to drink an awful lot or make small batches.  Either way, I don't find it to be a cost saving objective for me. 

As to the thread topic, I enjoy the ability to brew spontaneously using dry yeast, as I don't track my kegs to know when an opening might come up in my brewing lineup.  I used to be able to brew frequently and always had a few open slots to fill the empty kegs - not so much lately with COVID limiting the visitors.  I have recently dumped perfectly good beer in order to free up a keg that had some beer with legs on it.  Now that is passion for your hobby!

To follow up on that thought, I kegged 2 batches yesterday.  A pretty fast and easy process compared to bottling, but as I was doing it I was thinking how boring it was and now much I'd rather be brewing.  Spoiled, I guess.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2021, 10:49:21 am »

To follow up on that thought, I kegged 2 batches yesterday.  A pretty fast and easy process compared to bottling, but as I was doing it I was thinking how boring it was and now much I'd rather be brewing.  Spoiled, I guess.
Well, not all parts of the process are going to be fun. For instance, I dislike the chilling process, but I'm not going to a no-chill process. Kegging isn't that bad of a part for me anymore since I do a closed transfer. Before, I didn't care for it much, with the open keg expose (covered with foil) and using an autosiphon.

And to fredthecat's point, a lot of what I brew is stuff I can't find anymore ie black IPA, any good lager that isn't over hopped, anything that isn't hazy... ha, so like ANY style? No one makes a good schwarzbier, English porter, except for the classics, of course. But, domestically... Odell stopped making Cutthroat, Summit Great Northern Porter isn't in Iowa anymore... all these great beers we once had or were pushed out of the market because the haze craze, are all gone. Brew what you like, like what you brew. Making beer is one of the coolest hobbies in the world. The other reason I do it is because I love to share it. I give growlers away to friends all the time.
Jesse

narvin

« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2021, 11:37:27 am »
Is it weird that I no longer enjoy much of the process between recipe design and drinking the beer?  It's not the worst thing in the world, but if I could design the recipe, source the ingredients, specify the process exactly, and then get a day laborer to handle it, I would.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2021, 02:14:54 pm »
Is it weird that I no longer enjoy much of the process between recipe design and drinking the beer?  It's not the worst thing in the world, but if I could design the recipe, source the ingredients, specify the process exactly, and then get a day laborer to handle it, I would.

Of course it's not weird.  We all have different motivations.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2021, 04:53:54 pm »

Danstar Koln. Clears very fast which is nice. Kegged 6 days ago. Noticed a dramatic difference from day 2 to day 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2021, 05:00:31 pm »

Danstar Koln. Clears very fast which is nice. Kegged 6 days ago. Noticed a dramatic difference from day 2 to day 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a nice looking beer! Assuming it is a Kolsch.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2021, 05:06:47 pm »
No it’s a mutt of an ale. Cream ale inspired.

60% pils
20% flaked corn
15% rye
5% sugar

7g bravo @ 60
1 oz amarillo @ 20 min
1 oz amarillo @ 2 min

17 IBU

Ran at 64F and the yeast is pretty expressive. Need to experiment with it lower to see how clean it can be.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 05:15:13 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2021, 05:27:03 pm »

Well, not all parts of the process are going to be fun. For instance, I dislike the chilling process, but I'm not going to a no-chill process. Kegging isn't that bad of a part for me anymore since I do a closed transfer. Before, I didn't care for it much, with the open keg expose (covered with foil) and using an autosiphon.

And to fredthecat's point, a lot of what I brew is stuff I can't find anymore ie black IPA, any good lager that isn't over hopped, anything that isn't hazy... ha, so like ANY style? No one makes a good schwarzbier, English porter, except for the classics, of course. But, domestically... Odell stopped making Cutthroat, Summit Great Northern Porter isn't in Iowa anymore... all these great beers we once had or were pushed out of the market because the haze craze, are all gone. Brew what you like, like what you brew. Making beer is one of the coolest hobbies in the world. The other reason I do it is because I love to share it. I give growlers away to friends all the time.

yup. i didnt feel the need to go ahead and explain my whole "why i brew" thoughts, but youve summarized it mostly.

1. its actually quite hard to get those "classic" styles like a really nailed down, well-crafted porter or stout or many other styles. its all just haze/"craft" lagers/session ipas etc.
               -for the classic styles you can get the prices are insane now. i got a 500ml bottle of timothy taylor landlord the other day. $3.95. thats a lot of money for what would cost about 90 cents to a dollar to make.
2. i generally just make beer for personal consumption, but i do feel proud that i make my own stuff and people around here whove had it like it.
3. the process is okay, the formulation is fun. i have a KISS system though don't cut any corners except re: hot side oxidation and potential oxidation during transfer/bottling. as someone else said, if i could have some labourer do it as reliably as i do for 20 bucks per brew i would probably do that.

re: dry yeast. i had some issues come up this week and thanks to dry diamond lager yeast i can simply delay my intended brew for next weekend. i haven't used dry in a while, we'll see how it goes. the k-97 had a 5 inch krausen at its peak 2 days ago.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2021, 07:00:19 pm »
I brew because I enjoy almost getting something right. Like hanging a picture just out of level.

Just got some dried Lutra, excited to try it (In a few months). Got to try Omega Cosmic Punch with some mash hopping first. And brew a Stjordol and some lagers with Bayern Lager.

BTW, just ordered a sack of Briess maltgems from Ritebrew, some yeast-$17 2 day shipping!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2021, 05:14:08 am »
I brew because I enjoy almost getting something right. Like hanging a picture just out of level.

Just got some dried Lutra, excited to try it (In a few months). Got to try Omega Cosmic Punch with some mash hopping first. And brew a Stjordol and some lagers with Bayern Lager.

BTW, just ordered a sack of Briess maltgems from Ritebrew, some yeast-$17 2 day shipping!

I've had interest with malt gems for some time.
Have you used it before ?

Thanks

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2021, 05:55:08 am »
Just ordered 4 more packets of Diamond Lager yeast from Label Peelers. Still on sale, with free shipping.

I use this as a backup, in case my harvested slurry is slow to take off. It rarely is.

Kegged 10 gallons of German Pils yesterday, made with Avangard & Weyermann malt, and Diamond yeast. It will be entered in an upcoming competition.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2021, 10:38:53 am »

I've had interest with malt gems for some time.
Have you used it before ?

Thanks
I have not, seems like an interesting product. Planning on doing a few lagers and an IPL to test it out.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk