Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast  (Read 17583 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2021, 07:38:47 am »
To echo the above, we are at a point where 1 or perhaps 2 yeast types are all we use.

Why limit yourself(ves)?

If he's like me, it's because he knows what he likes and expects. I stick to a few yeast strains and handful of styles/recipes.  I don't consider it limiting.  I consider it not wasting time brewing stuff I don't care for.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2021, 08:05:25 am »
After playing the field for 22 years and narrowing my favorites, I see in my future brewing limited styles with limited ingredients.  It's starting to happen.  Been very slowly moving in that direction, but definitely moving in that direction.  Now that I've found Diamond, after I dabble a little more maybe with WLP833, I'll very soon be able to make a final decision on my favorite lager yeast and rarely try anything else.  I can see myself only using a handful of other yeasts in future, for various styles.  Regarding other ingredients including malts and hops, I still see a broad playground with the malts yet, but I can tell you that for many many years, I've been using Hallertau in almost every single batch, because (1) I grow it so I always have some on hand and (2) it's a wonderful noble hop that is great in ANY beer style.  When in doubt, I don't doubt, I just use Hallertau.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2021, 08:24:01 am »
Regarding both Dave and Denny in the above posts, that’s where we are at now.
There are only two, maybe three different beers that we really enjoy. Yes, they are lagers, so it makes our choice very simple.

In the world of malts, we are willing to try new brands on a limited basis.

10 days ago we brewed up a German Pils with a 50/50 mix of Weyermann & Avangard.

Next up will be a pils brewed with malt from Texas.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:26:32 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2021, 12:49:37 pm »
I wish rite brew would carry diamond because their prices are more in line with what I want. I still use 34/70 and 189 because of this...
Keep an eye on Label Peelers for sales. Their price on dry yeast includes free shipping via the post office.

The only issue with Label Peelers is their stock tends to be old. But some here say age is no issue...and that's what I tell my wife.
I just got two packs of S-33 dated 6/23 from them.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2021, 04:10:40 pm »
Against Denny's recommendation I am going to pitch S-23 in a Boh pilsner.  The description of this culture fits that of NCYC 679, which I can only assume was the house culture at the Stein Brewery in Bratislava. I have a lot of experience with that strain.  It has to be fermented at the bottom of its specified range to produce a good product.  It has a distinct flavor that I would describe as anything, but neutral.  It is unique.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2021, 04:35:29 pm »
Against Denny's recommendation I am going to pitch S-23 in a Boh pilsner.  The description of this culture fits that of NCYC 679, which I can only assume was the house culture at the Stein Brewery in Bratislava. I have a lot of experience with that strain.  It has to be fermented at the bottom of its specified range to produce a good product.  It has a distinct flavor that I would describe as anything, but neutral.  It is unique.
I’ve had great beers made with s23 but have never used it myself. Please keep us updated.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2021, 05:16:53 pm »
This past year or so I've used a lot of dry yeast. I do like Verdant IPA in British styles. I made a really tasty bitter with it earlier this summer that I put on nitro. I made a helles with Diamond lager that had some acetaldehyde I think. It was a 5 gallon batch, 1.046 OG, pitched 2 packs without rehydrating or aerating. Fermented at 55F. It was just not a good beer. But the subsequent beers I made from the slurry from that batch were great. I'm rehydrating all my lager yeast from now on.

The one and only yeast I wish was available in dry form is Irish Ale yeast. I actually prefer to use Wy1084 for all of my UK styles. I just love that yeast. If there was also an equivalent to Wy2206, that'd be great as well.
Jesse

Offline tommymorris

Let's Discuss Dry Yeast
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2021, 05:38:14 pm »
I just used S-23 in a pre-prohibition pilsner. The beer came out pretty nice. It’s a honey lager and I feel like I can taste my brother in law’s honey. It’s pretty clean and definitely crisp. Different, maybe not as clean but more crisp, from 34/70 and Diamond.  Some days I think I might taste a faint fruit flavor. But, most days I don’t. 

I also read that the yeast should be used at low temps. I started fermentation around 48F. Fermentation started but moved very slowly (1-2 gravity points per day for several days). I finally gave up and raised the temp to the mid-fifties over a few days. Fermentation off course moved much faster after raising the temperature.

I am using that slurry now in an amber lager similar to Boston Lager. The amber lager will be kegged tomorrow. I tasted and it is very nice. The caramel malt and hops in that one may mask any fruity flavors though.

I am not sure if I will buy S-23 again. If the amber is good I might.  The amber could easily be considered an American Pale Ale with Sterling hops. If I like the amber I may try the slurry in an APA with cascade or similar. Gotta get my money’s worth…

This is from my Tilt from my first S-23 ferment.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 06:58:05 pm by tommymorris »

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2021, 08:16:55 pm »
I have actually gone the other way lately, using more liquid yeast than previously (say 10% of the time), partly because the availability of the Omega Yeast here in the Chicago area.  It comes super fresh to my LHBS and is now packaged in pitchable pouches, where no starter is necessary, except for the unusual large beer (I make mostly lower ABV beers with under 1.050 OG, often under 1.040 OG).  I still use mostly dry yeast, with Diamond coming in this year about a dead heat with S-189 as my most used yeast (mostly lagers, but occasionally a Brit Ordinary Bitter with an Omega Brit Strain).

I'm basically doing the same thing, except with Imperial yeast, not Omega. I rarely buy a pack more than a week past the manufacturing date, and it has only been shipped across town, not across the country. I'm always comfortable pitching it without a starter.
With that being said, I still use dry yeast maybe 25% of the time. Just kegged a Marzen with Diamond lager that is tasting great already. Still very hazy, but to be fair, it's only 3 weeks old. My go to lager yeast is Imperial Harvest.

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2021, 09:02:24 pm »
I had a pouch of wyeast 2042 fail on me not long ago, so pitched S189. I really like 2042, but S189 has been great the last few lagers. I grabbed some Diamond lager, I don’t like 34/70, though there has been enough people mentioning their preference for Diamond over 34/70 that I thought I’d try it out.

I’ve used 95% liquid over the past 15 or so years but I do think some of the dry yeast now are very good. Made a great bitter with Verdant. Have another sachet for a similar beer soon.
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2021, 11:50:09 pm »

i agree with the types repeated by many, but would add k-97.

i fermented it cool and it was a very clean yeast that had an incredibly persistent haze and made the hops pop pretty well. people label it as "german ale/kolsch/alt" whatever, but i see it as a NEIPA potential yeast or IPA. i'd love to hear recent and more feedback from people who used it.
I recently used it in an American wheat beer where it got up to 74f with no ill effects.
[/quote]

I used K-97 this past summer in two consecutive batches of an American wheat ale (with orange tincture added), and had amazing results! I fermented around 66 degrees, and the end flavors were awesome. In the past, I've bought liquid American Wheat Ale cultures (WLP320), which are also quite good...but not nearly as convenient as the dry K-97. I'm a convert for K-97 in my particular American wheat recipes from here on out...
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2021, 07:48:42 am »

i fermented it cool and it was a very clean yeast that had an incredibly persistent haze and made the hops pop pretty well. people label it as "german ale/kolsch/alt" whatever, but i see it as a NEIPA potential yeast or IPA. i'd love to hear recent and more feedback from people who used it.
I recently used it in an American wheat beer where it got up to 74f with no ill effects.

I used K-97 this past summer in two consecutive batches of an American wheat ale (with orange tincture added), and had amazing results! I fermented around 66 degrees, and the end flavors were awesome. In the past, I've bought liquid American Wheat Ale cultures (WLP320), which are also quite good...but not nearly as convenient as the dry K-97. I'm a convert for K-97 in my particular American wheat recipes from here on out...
I have some of the Lallemand "Koln" yeast I'm looking forward to trying for an American wheat. Probably when the weather starts warming up in the spring.
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2021, 08:49:56 am »

I have some of the Lallemand "Koln" yeast I'm looking forward to trying for an American wheat. Probably when the weather starts warming up in the spring.
I have some going in a cream ale type thing right now. I'm excited to see how it turns out. I used it once before in a kolsch and it seemed to do very well except the batch was ruined by chlorine/chloramine.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 09:08:28 am by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2021, 08:53:57 am »

I know people have made great beers with it.  I haven't. My results came from fermenting around 48-50.  I've been told people get better results warmer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2021, 11:36:09 am »

[/quote]

yup, i wish we could get some more crowdsourced opinions on k-97. i added my thoughts earlier on it. just because its imagined/commercially stated provenance is "german ale", doesnt mean it needs to explicitly be used for that purpose. its just a yeast.