Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast  (Read 17118 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2021, 08:20:00 am »
not my favourite site but:
https://brulosophy.com/2017/04/17/yeast-comparison-safale-us-05-american-ale-vs-safale-k-97-german-ale-exbeeriment-results/

Heh...

"7 tasters reported preferring the US-05 beer, 5 said they liked the K-97 beer more, and 3 had no preference...

"I was easily able to tell these beers apart just by appearance, as the beer fermented with US-05 was much clearer than the K-97 beer."

Yeah it's a yeasty mess, which some people don't mind, but 7 out of 12 don't prefer.

Numbers are funny, and you can make them say whatever you want. I often think about this each time a Brulosophy experiment is posted online.

In the above example, 8 of the 12 actually prefer K-97, or had no preference of US-05 vs. K-97.

Much like the old Schlitz Super Bowl commercial. They had a panel of dedicated Bud drinkers to sample two beers, a Schlitz and a Bud. Something like 40% of them chose the Schlitz. This was a live TV spot, during a Super Bowl commercial break.

So then Schlitz made the accurate claim that 40% of former die hard Bud drinkers actually prefer Schlitz in a head-to-head comparison.

The experts said Schlitz could not lose on this.

edit: How many here are old enough to have watched this on TV?

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9a3K2vkvrU&ab_channel=ThomasCizauskas
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 08:23:45 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2021, 08:40:58 am »
not my favourite site but:
https://brulosophy.com/2017/04/17/yeast-comparison-safale-us-05-american-ale-vs-safale-k-97-german-ale-exbeeriment-results/

Heh...

"7 tasters reported preferring the US-05 beer, 5 said they liked the K-97 beer more, and 3 had no preference...

"I was easily able to tell these beers apart just by appearance, as the beer fermented with US-05 was much clearer than the K-97 beer."

Yeah it's a yeasty mess, which some people don't mind, but 7 out of 12 don't prefer.

Yep....so what?  I don't need other people telling me what I like
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2021, 09:30:07 am »
just ordered two packs of k-97.

going to explain it to you simply.
Why would you do that to yourself??!!!!

have you ever used k97?

i got good results from it

also, not my favourite site but:

Brulosophy...sigh. Cue the eye rolling...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2021, 09:48:14 am »

have you ever used k97?

Their opinions are as valid as yours or mine, but no moreso

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2021, 10:13:05 am »

have you ever used k97?

...but no moreso

^Exactly. Many homebrewers take Brulosophy's results as gospel and don't take a moment to consider the limitations. Every time someone posts "but this is what Brulosophy showed..." my eyes roll very far into the back of my head. I should probably see a doctor about it.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2021, 11:35:29 am »
lol, more importantly. im hoping i can prove in some way that k97 can make a good beer. i am fully aware it takes forever to settle. im planning on letting this beer sit for a long time at cold winter temps and give it a good dose of gelatin as well.

if it doesnt turn out well i will absolutely report that also.

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2021, 11:51:41 am »
I think it can make an ~O.K. beer after a loooong time conditioning.  Not great, just ~O.K.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2021, 12:08:42 pm »
lol, more importantly. im hoping i can prove in some way that k97 can make a good beer. i am fully aware it takes forever to settle. im planning on letting this beer sit for a long time at cold winter temps and give it a good dose of gelatin as well.

if it doesnt turn out well i will absolutely report that also.

You will prove it only for yourself on this one batch.  I've proven to myself that I don't like it on more than one occasion.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2021, 01:13:12 pm »
i also ordered some diamond btw.

hoping to follow kai's guide, including water and really hit a pils spot on.

its a sort of superfluous task considering the only good beers i have available here consistently are german pilsners, but whatever.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2021, 04:31:34 pm »
I brewed my Bohemian-style Pilsner this past weekend.  I pitched two packages of S-23 into 5.25 gallons of 1.054 wort @ 52F.  Active blow-off started in 24 hours, which is faster than Diamond at this temp, but not incredibly faster.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2021, 08:23:32 am »
I brewed my Bohemian-style Pilsner this past weekend.  I pitched two packages of S-23 into 5.25 gallons of 1.054 wort @ 52F.  Active blow-off started in 24 hours, which is faster than Diamond at this temp, but not incredibly faster.
Keep us posted. Really interested in the yeast considering how many bad things I seem to hear.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2021, 11:43:21 am »

i agree with the types repeated by many, but would add k-97.

i fermented it cool and it was a very clean yeast that had an incredibly persistent haze and made the hops pop pretty well. people label it as "german ale/kolsch/alt" whatever, but i see it as a NEIPA potential yeast or IPA. i'd love to hear recent and more feedback from people who used it.
I recently used it in an American wheat beer where it got up to 74f with no ill effects.

I used K-97 this past summer in two consecutive batches of an American wheat ale (with orange tincture added), and had amazing results! I fermented around 66 degrees, and the end flavors were awesome. In the past, I've bought liquid American Wheat Ale cultures (WLP320), which are also quite good...but not nearly as convenient as the dry K-97. I'm a convert for K-97 in my particular American wheat recipes from here on out...

yup, i wish we could get some more crowdsourced opinions on k-97. i added my thoughts earlier on it. just because its imagined/commercially stated provenance is "german ale", doesnt mean it needs to explicitly be used for that purpose. its just a yeast.

Am I the only one that has taken a sulfur punch in the nose from K-97? 

Maybe it was something I said...   :-[
I didn't care for K97 at all. I got a tartness from it that I didn't care for.

Same here, and not once but every beer I tried it in, all of which were split ferments with other yeasts. The other side of the splits were all tasty.
   I've left K-97 beer in the crash fridge at 24* for a week or more and it didn't clear, anything that needs longer than that ain't worth tying up my fridge.
   A few months ago I found a package of BE-256 on the floor behind my freezer and calculated that it must have been there for several months at least, was gonna huck it but decided to keep it instead. A couple weeks ago I brewed a 71 gravity stout that I planned to split between 05 and 256, so I pitched the found package in a 1 qt. starter along side a separate 1 qt. starter with 1/2C recently harvested 05. The 256 performed admirably even after all that time a room temp, it did take longer to get going than the 05 slurry but that is to be expected with dry versus harvested. Both splits are about ready to crash and both are at 1.024. In the past when I've split between 05 and 256 the 256 did have slightly higher attenuation, but only 1 or 2 percentage points, so maybe this pkg was a slightly affected by less than ideal storage conditions, but it's still a pretty testament to the survivability of quality dry yeast.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 12:00:23 pm by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2021, 11:52:34 am »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/star-gazer-hazy-double-ipa-big-brew-2021/

found this in a thread where someone also mentions separately an anecdote of someone winning a state level brewing competition year after year in APA using k-97.

it does show off hops.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2021, 05:44:09 am »
I pitched a sachet of verdant ipa from lallemand on Thursday into a British golden ale, wooooh boy I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a thick krausen before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2021, 05:59:34 am »
I pitched a sachet of verdant ipa from lallemand on Thursday into a British golden ale, wooooh boy I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a thick krausen before!

I'll be doing the same thing very soon, British Golden AK with Verdant.  Can't wait to try it.  Cheers!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.