Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Paulander Oktoberfest Bier  (Read 1977 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Paulander Oktoberfest Bier
« on: November 05, 2021, 02:48:48 pm »
Recipe suggestions/ideas?

I recently purchased some Paulander Oktoberfest Bier. Wow! Was much, much different than the other Octberfest beers I've drunk (amber, malty).

I'd really like to homebrew this one.

Thanks.

Offline slegare01

• 1st Kit
Re: Paulander Oktoberfest Bier
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 03:19:32 pm »
Amber malty is Octoberfest. Not sure what oddball stuff you had

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 03:46:20 pm »
Really not true. There are 2 types of Oktoberfest. The orange/malty one we know in the USA and a golden one known in Germany.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 03:51:50 pm »
Really not true. There are 2 types of Oktoberfest. The orange/malty one we know in the USA and a golden one known in Germany.
Ah, delicious Festbier I mean, I like the American stuff but (not trying to brag) when I went to the show, I was like... WHAT IS THIS?!?!?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 05:36:29 pm »
Again, we need to differentiate between festbier, marzen, and “american marzen”…
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 06:06:02 pm »
How about the following?
"Oktoberfestbier vs Märzen vs Festbier"
https://www.craftbeering.com/oktoberfest-vs-marzen-oktoberfest-style-beer/

Or
"Märzen vs. Festbier? Paulaner Explains It All "
https://www.porchdrinking.com/articles/2019/09/19/marzen-vs-festbier-paulaner-explains-it-all/

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 06:40:26 pm »
If you're looking for the pale yellow festbier, this should get you into the right neighborhood, for 5 gallons or 19 litres:

7 lb German Pilsner malt
3 lb German Munich malt
1 oz Hallertau Tradition (45 minutes)
Wyeast 2206 (accept no substitutes)

Make a big 3-quart yeast starter a few days in advance.
Single infusion mash in 100% distilled water about 149 °F for 120 minutes or overnight.  Pitch and ferment at 50 F for 6 to 8 days, then raise up to 65 F for several days or until diacetyl is gone.  Then lager if desired, bottle or keg as normal.  Might improve after 4-5 months lagering in the bottle/keg.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

Paulander Oktoberfest Bier
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 07:55:22 pm »
I got this from an old German Brewing forum along with several other recipes by Techbrau. This should give you a launch point.

Festbier - OG 13.5 Plato
70-90% Pilsner malt at 3.5 EBC
0-30% Vienna malt at 8 EBC
0-30% Munich malt at 15 EBC
0-10% caramel malt at 25 EBC (Carahell)
18-24 IBUs: 1/3 at 60, 1/3 at 40, and 1/3 at 15-20.

I personally don’t add any Carahell. I use 61.4% Base, 23.6% Vienna, and 15% Munich.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 06:01:17 am by BrewBama »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 10:27:49 pm »
straight up, i dont know what youre on about. paulaner oktoberfest is not special. ?? its a strong lager to me. sure if you want to make a 6% strong lager with some munich and vienna go ahead.

its not rocket science or a mystery

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 06:34:00 am »

Mine doesn't turn out as good as the Germans.  Based on my own experience, and discussion with a multi-Best of Show winner, I've narrowed the rocket science & mystery down to two factors: yeast selection, and water salt additions.  I'm finally beginning to get closer to the desired product, but it's taken me dozens of lager batches and I'm still not there yet and maybe never will be.

So yeah... I argue that yes there is a little bit of rocket science and mystery involved.  Unless you are super lucky, or know more than you let on.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 03:40:36 pm »
To dmtaylor and BrewBama

Thanks for the recipes!

narvin

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 08:23:49 am »
straight up, i dont know what youre on about. paulaner oktoberfest is not special. ?? its a strong lager to me. sure if you want to make a 6% strong lager with some munich and vienna go ahead.

I really couldn't disagree more.  Put a german lager next to one from an american craft brewery and it just tastes different.  Anyone want to dig up some threads about IT?   ;D

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 11:49:53 am »
If you're looking for the pale yellow festbier, this should get you into the right neighborhood, for 5 gallons or 19 litres:

7 lb German Pilsner malt
3 lb German Munich malt
1 oz Hallertau Tradition (45 minutes)
Wyeast 2206 (accept no substitutes)

Make a big 3-quart yeast starter a few days in advance.
Single infusion mash in 100% distilled water about 149 °F for 120 minutes or overnight.  Pitch and ferment at 50 F for 6 to 8 days, then raise up to 65 F for several days or until diacetyl is gone.  Then lager if desired, bottle or keg as normal.  Might improve after 4-5 months lagering in the bottle/keg.
I like some Vienna in there too. I basically brew a strong helles, which usually has either a little bit of munich or vienna, but for Festbier, I include both.
Jesse

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 11:51:30 am »

Mine doesn't turn out as good as the Germans.  Based on my own experience, and discussion with a multi-Best of Show winner, I've narrowed the rocket science & mystery down to two factors: yeast selection, and water salt additions.  I'm finally beginning to get closer to the desired product, but it's taken me dozens of lager batches and I'm still not there yet and maybe never will be.

So yeah... I argue that yes there is a little bit of rocket science and mystery involved.  Unless you are super lucky, or know more than you let on.
Some will argue process in there as well. But that doesn't need to be discussed here.
Jesse