Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ss Brewtech Keg Washer  (Read 3312 times)

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
Ss Brewtech Keg Washer
« on: November 06, 2021, 06:33:31 am »
I'm curious if anyone is using the Keg Washer from Ss Brewtech and your thoughts about it.

It looks like a great piece of equipment, and I'm trying to justify the high cost.

Online waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Ss Brewtech Keg Washer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 07:38:49 am »
I do not own one, but I did build one from extra parts I had around and a submersible pump.  I bought an inexpensive spray ball from Amazon and it works great to clean both fermenters and kegs. 

It is a really nice piece of equipment but I don’t think I have even $100 into my setup (maybe I’m a little light due to having so many parts around from bad ideas in the past).  The SS Brewtech washer is $250.

I know that’s not what your original post was asking, but I don’t think their design does anything mine does not. 

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 09:18:37 am »
I use a Bucket Blaster and it does a great job of cleaning kegs and fermenters. William's Brewing has them on sale for $54.99. It comes with a bucket that the unit can be stored in too. I can't see paying almost 5 times that for a keg washer.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 09:25:09 am »
I use a water hose and a garden spray adapter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 10:05:56 am »
Like everything else from SS Brewtech, it is a massively overpriced, over-engineered piece of equipment. There are cheaper CIP keg washers that are just as functional. The Bucket Blaster is a good choice. If you must go SS Brewtech, Morebeer is selling it for $211.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 10:32:24 am »
I use a water hose and a garden spray adapter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed.  Pragmatic.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 10:34:07 am »
I got the Mark II keg/carboy washer years ago from Northern Brewer. Then it was around $80 ($100 now).

Either way I wouldn't fork out cash for the SS Brewtech especially given some of their horrible QC issues I've seen posted over on HBT recently.

My pump went out on my kegwasher a year or so ago. Found pretty much the exact pump on Ebay for $20 and was off to the races again.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 10:59:31 am »
Thanks for the input.

Nearly all of my kegs are the single metal strap handle, not the rubber tops. And I don't have any carboys, I ferment in stainless buckets.

I looked at the Mark II keg/carboy washer and other than looking like overpriced plastic junk, my kegs wouldn't stand upright.

I also looked at the Keg Blaster, but it has the same problem with the kegs I have. Plus, again no need for compatibility with carboys.

What I really like about the Ss Brewtech unit is that it attaches to the keg, and allows you to move it from bucket to bucket for cleaning, rinsing, and sanitizing.

I've saved a lot of money over the years by building as much of my own equipment as possible. I built my own keg washer years ago, but I never really loved it, and it's time for an upgrade.

Other than what you hear on various forums, has anyone used the Ss Brewtech Keg Washer?

Online waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 11:07:25 am »
“What I really like about the Ss Brewtech unit is that it attaches to the keg, and allows you to move it from bucket to bucket for cleaning, rinsing, and sanitizing.“

That is a really nice feature. 

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 12:13:58 pm »
Here is the SS Brewtech thread over on HBT just be aware.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/ss-brewtech-qc-is-awful-now.694589/

The kegwasher might look like that to you but I've had a much different experience actually using it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 12:36:25 pm by Big_Eight »

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2021, 01:36:26 pm »
Here is the SS Brewtech thread over on HBT just be aware.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/ss-brewtech-qc-is-awful-now.694589/

The kegwasher might look like that to you but I've had a much different experience actually using it.

What is your experience using the keg washer?

I have other Ss Brewtech gear, and it's all top notch with no problems whatsoever.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2021, 01:39:01 pm »
Please excuse the derailment, but I'm really stumped why a keg washer is needed at the homebrew level. This is an honest question, not a troll.  I can't for the life of me see how it could get easier than filling a keg with Craftmeister alkaline, letting it sit a few hours, and rinsing it out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2021, 02:05:58 pm »
Please excuse the derailment, but I'm really stumped why a keg washer is needed at the homebrew level. This is an honest question, not a troll.  I can't for the life of me see how it could get easier than filling a keg with Craftmeister alkaline, letting it sit a few hours, and rinsing it out.

Two reasons for me:

1) The recent atmospheric river notwithstanding, water is an extremely, extremely, extremely, extremely, extremely, extremely precious commodity where I live (Sacramento area), and it is in extremely, extremely, extremely, extremely short supply. I can't justify filling a keg with 5 gal of water that simply gets dumped afterward. Using a keg washer allows me to use just 1 gal.

2) I usually have to clean many kegs at once. I reuse the cleaning solution for each keg, but if I fill a keg with 5 gal, this entails having to lift it up to dump it into the next keg. I can't do this anymore with my back.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2021, 02:21:45 pm »
Beyond what RC states, a lot less water means a lot less cleaner too. Other plusses include the dip tubes and posts/poppets being cleaned in place as the keg is being cleaned. With the addition of a fitting or 2 and some tubing, it will clean QDs, beverage lines and faucets too. All in all, a great labor saver and all in one equipment cleaner for the price.

As you say Denny, if you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong, or something to that affect. I never had any fun cleaning kegs, fermenters, beverage lines and faucets. The Bucket Blaster, and, I assume, similar setups, greatly reduce the not so fun aspect of cleaning your gear.  I like pragmatic, but it's even better when enhanced by practicality :)
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2021, 02:51:53 pm »
I'm with RC and Bob on this one. With a keg washer I can clean, rinse, and sanitize 10 kegs with just a few gallons of water and a  few ounces of chemicals. Super efficient.