Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ss Brewtech Keg Washer  (Read 3382 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Ss Brewtech Keg Washer
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 03:30:37 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, folks.  Makes perfect sense and since water isn't an issue for me, it's something I'd never considered.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 04:07:09 pm »
Same here. Never considered the water savings issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 05:05:50 pm »
Yeah, you don't need 5 gallons of cleaning solution to clean a 5 gallon keg, and you don't need 5 gallons of sanitizer to sanitize a 5 gallon keg or fermenter. If done properly, you can do the job with a fraction of the volume of the container. To some of us it matters.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2021, 01:03:50 pm »
The Bucket Blaster looks pretty cool.  I can use a smaller amount of water, run it for 20 mins, and then fill with clean water for the rinse.  It works on Fermenter buckets as well I take it?  For 50 bucks I can use half the water and use it more efficiently.  Hmmm, I might have to do a bit more research on this   

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 08:17:00 am »
For me, the ability to clean all diptubes, poppets and keg interior without removing the posts is welcome.  I don’t tear down the keg each time, which has greatly diminished leaks on both beer and CO2 sides.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

narvin

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2021, 08:20:55 am »
For me, the ability to clean all diptubes, poppets and keg interior without removing the posts is welcome.  I don’t tear down the keg each time, which has greatly diminished leaks on both beer and CO2 sides.

I agree.  I built my own and I can fill it with a few gallons of PBW, do 5 kegs, then fill it with rinse water or saniclean and not worry about any crevices.  If nothing else it gives me peace of mind with less work since I'd normally be taking off the posts and using a brush.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2021, 10:15:37 pm »
I have the ssbrewtech keg washer and like it.  No issues.  Less water, don’t have to break it down.  It is expensive though.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2021, 12:27:44 am »
In looking at the specs, it seems the bucket they provide is about 11 3/4 inches in diameter, while the fermenter bucket I got from Northern Brewery is about 12 inches.  Bummer, but I might get it for the keg washing part of it and try and do something to get it to work on my buckets. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 04:37:36 am »
Just ordered now. Will see how it works. I like the idea of not breaking down a keg every time I clean them.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 11:05:35 am »
Thanks for all the feedback.

I just ordered one as well. I'll post my impressions once I receive it and clean a bunch of kegs.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 09:10:47 pm »
I cannot wait to see what you all say about this.  I think it is a cool idea that will save me a ton of water.  And in the San Francisco bay area, that is going to save me money as well. 

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 04:37:53 pm »
I am a fan of SS Brewtech gear.  I have their 10-gallon TC kettle and a 7-gallon Brew Bucket.  I also own a Delta Brewing Systems (DBS) 6.6-gallon kettle and their 4-gallon version of a brew bucket.  There is no comparison in build quality between the two. The DBS gear is good, but the SS Brewtech gear is better.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 05:36:57 pm »
To be clear, my keg washer is homemade - a bucket with a pump tied to a manifold leading to a spray mast and separate QDC’s for both keg posts.  It works great so far (5-6 years).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2021, 07:17:28 pm »
A 5 lb container of craft meister alkaline brew wash cost $33. With a $10 pump and a few fittings, you can make that last 4-5x longer. Cost of water is irrelevant, the cleaner is what gets you.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2021, 01:28:47 pm »
There is no way that I could justify such an expensive toy.  A 4.5lb box of Savogran TSP (the real stuff, not sodium metasilicate passed off as TSP) costs around $11.00 at Home Depot.  A rounded teaspoon in a 5-gallon soak will leave even filthy kegs spotless.  There is no need to disassemble a keg when it clean it.  All one needs to do is add cleaner, fill the keg completely to the top, push down on the liquid poppet until liquid comes out of it, and let it soak.  I have always used picnic faucets in a standard fridge, so I seal a keg, add a picnic faucet, and run cleaner through the picnic faucet  before removing the lid and topping off the keg with hot water. 

I am curious as to how people who are so water conscious chill their wort?  For me, chilling is the largest single use of water in brewing.  I used a minimum of 10-gallons when chilling only 3.5 gallons and that is with the first five gallons running into a white bucket for cleaning and the second five gallons recirculating with ice.