Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: For IPA…. Whirlpool hops plus dry hopping, or dry hopping alone?  (Read 2007 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
I was just wondering what you all do for an IPA.  ( West coast or NeIPA ).  Who does whirlpool hopping in addition to dry hopping and why?……. Or do most just dry hop? With the new Yakima survivable compounds info, it has me thinking.   And then of course the question of active fermentation DryHop plus or minus post fermentation DryHop.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: For IPA…. Whirlpool hops plus dry hopping, or dry hopping alone?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 04:09:19 am »
NEIPA, I guess people are doing both. West Coast, I'd stick with only the dry hop.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 04:41:28 am »
I was just wondering what you all do for an IPA.  ( West coast or NeIPA ).  Who does whirlpool hopping in addition to dry hopping and why?……. Or do most just dry hop? With the new Yakima survivable compounds info, it has me thinking.   And then of course the question of active fermentation DryHop plus or minus post fermentation DryHop.

I had the same question a while back, for WC IPA actually, and by the comment the best way is dry hop only, bitter addition, flameout maybe and then dry hop, no whirlpool, and this to a IPA and the result was really good, as for NEIPA, for experience, Bitter addition, I like a little more bitter in my beers, whirlpool or hopstand, dry hop during the fermentation and then dry hop after the fermentation, I brewed a APA doing this, remove the bitter addition in the start, gonna carb tomorrow and let see the result

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 04:46:45 am »
I've always done a flame out addition of hops for my IPAs and for many other styles. Right after that addition I WP for 5-10 minutes (maybe longer depending on what I'm brewing). Then let settle for several minutes. for IPAs and for some other styles I then dry hop.

So, yeah, I'm not sure why you wouldn't do both for any beer you are trying to get hop flavor or aroma into. I also don't think WP hops are anything "new" or exclusively for NEIPAs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 08:31:28 am »
A few years ago, I stopped doing WP in favor of flameout and dry hopping.  I found it gave me more of what I was looking for and was easier for me than WP.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 08:46:54 am »
With dry hopping alone, I think something obvious would be missing. It's important to lay a good foundation of hoppiness on the hotside. I have sampled plenty of my IPAs before dry hopping, and they're pleasantly hoppy from hotside hopping alone.

I've landed on doing a large addition (4-6 oz) with 1 minute left in the boil, then immediately chilling at flameout. This is all I do for my hazies in terms of adding hops on the hotside; for my WCs, I do additions earlier in the boil for bitterness.

Something I do not do anymore is a whirlpool stand after cooling the wort some. I was picking up way too much god-awful polyphenolic bitterness and hop burn, especially from the 170-degree range.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 11:21:14 am »
I do flameout and dry hop only. I don’t do a hop stand or whirlpool hopping. I don’t think any thing is missing flavor or aroma wise.

A few years ago I tried several batches with hop stands.  I thought those batches had a different flavor profile and I preferred flameout and dry hop. It’s also a bit easier.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 12:45:28 pm »
I like to do first wort hopping, a 60 minute addition and a 10 or 15 minute addition.  I stopped doing and flame out or whirlpool additions and have been cold dry hopping lately with better results.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 12:47:18 pm »
I like to do first wort hopping, a 60 minute addition and a 10 or 15 minute addition.  I stopped doing and flame out or whirlpool additions and have been cold dry hopping lately with better results.
Same! I've always been skeptical about flameout but I guess it works lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 03:01:01 pm »
I usually do both.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 07:42:14 am »
I do flameout and dry hop only. I don’t do a hop stand or whirlpool hopping. I don’t think any thing is missing flavor or aroma wise.

A few years ago I tried several batches with hop stands.  I thought those batches had a different flavor profile and I preferred flameout and dry hop. It’s also a bit easier.

After several batches of hop stand experiments I have eschewed them completely. There were a few times I thought I liked the results well enough but too many times I got weird veg flavors and aromas.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 07:56:11 am »

Pretty much exactly what I do, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2021, 09:09:15 am »
A lot of these comparisons might not be apples to apples.  The definition of whirlpool vs flameout will depend on how long it takes you to chill and whether you're chilling the entire kettle at once, getting it below 180 pretty quickly, or using a plate/counterflow chiller in line to the fermenter.  But at a homebrew scale, whirlpool/hop stand is an optional step that is usually borne out of necessity on a commercial system. 

Whether a steep at 180 is different than throwing hops in for 10 minutes at the end of the boil can probably be debated, but a long hopstand is something I also stopped doing.

Offline BrewBama

For IPA…. Whirlpool hops plus dry hopping, or dry hopping alone?
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 08:06:41 am »
I cool my post boil wort by running it thru the HERMS coil returning it to the kettle thru a whirlpool arm. So… since whirlpool is already happening I take advantage of it.

I have been very pleased with the outcome on those beers that call for whirlpool additions — usually an oz or two of Cryo hops at a 140*F stop for 30 min or so. From what I understand, temps nearer boiling degrade the oils faster but 140*F has been a nice compromise between a good resting place and the taste results.

I like to dry hop during active fermentation so the brief fermenter opening is offset by the CO2 production to reduce O2 uptake. I don’t like opening a keg after filling it but I have done it with unnoticeable degradation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 08:09:21 am by BrewBama »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2021, 08:27:44 am »

I do exactly the same here for my West Coast IPA's.  Don't brew hazy ones as I think they can be a bit sweet for me.  With my Black IPA, I do FWH and then don't start adding any extra hops until the last 30 minute of the boil.  I also add later additions before flameout.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified