Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whirlpool setup  (Read 616 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Whirlpool setup
« on: November 13, 2021, 02:24:17 pm »
I finally got around to ordering another F-type camlock fitting, so that I can use my the whirlpool value I purchased for my SS Brewtech TC Kettle.   One thing that I did not think of until after I placed my order is that I should have purchased a 3-way ball valve to make draining the kettle easier.  For those who use a pump to whirlpool, how do you transition from whirlpooling to draining without making a mess?

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Whirlpool setup
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 04:30:26 pm »
When I whirlpooled it was with a whirlpool arm attached to my Jaded Hydra. When the whirlpool was done, I detached the pump from that and attached it to the ball  valve on my kettle to pump to the fermenter.  Eventualkky I decided that I wsnt betting anything from the whirlpool I couldn't get some other way and stopped whirlpooling.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 07:04:52 pm »
I can transition from a pump to draining the kettle without spilling a drop on the floor. Close the kettle valve and hold a plastic bowl under the valve output while you disconnect the hose. Drain the pump and all the attached hoses into the bowl while holding it under the valve output to catch any drips from the valve. Then I put a small sanitized stopper into the barb on the valve output to stop any more drips. When I want to drain the kettle I pull out that stopper while holding something under the valve and attach the hose that goes into the fermenter. I practiced it with water when I first got the pump. After doing it a few times I can make the changeover without spilling anything.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 10:37:40 pm by Richard »
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 10:00:22 am »
Pinch the hose with a spring clamp.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk