Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Wort Hopping when splitting brew day  (Read 608 times)

Offline RBQChicken

• 1st Kit
First Wort Hopping when splitting brew day
« on: November 15, 2021, 06:59:47 pm »
Years ago I used to mash and sparge on a Friday's eve, then boil and pitch the next morning.  Worked very well.  Eventually got away from it, and since then, discovered first-wort hopping, which I really like for some beers.

I've been thinking of getting back to the spit-day brew session and am wondering if I should first-wort hop at the beginning of the sparge (thus leaving the hops in the wort all night until the next mornings boil session) or put them in first thing in the morning before bringing the wort up to a boil?

Has anyone done this?  I guess I'm a little worried about getting an over-vegetal or over-bitter character from the hops sitting in the wort so long.  I use pellet hops.

Thanks!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: First Wort Hopping when splitting brew day
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 06:35:27 am »
Think I'd wait until I was heating for the boil and FWH when the wort reached the mash temperature range.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 12:00:48 pm »
I do overnight mashes (love it) and I add the hops right when I turn on the flame for the boil.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline RBQChicken

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 05:11:59 am »
Thanks for your thoughts.  I think I'll put the FWH hops in when I start to heat to a boil on the second day.