Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Post boil hopping  (Read 1512 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Post boil hopping
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 07:12:30 am »
I find this post quite informative.  I will be attempting a NEIPA in January and the recipe I’m looking at calls for hop additions at two of these points - whirlpool and hopstand.  However, when I enter this schedule into BS3, the IBU increase is very minimal.

So, I guess my question is: at what temperature do hops no longer give up bitterness?  Other than adding dry hops into the secondary, I’ve never added hops past the flameout stage.  So any additional information and knowledge on this subject would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!  :)
This article has lots of info about hop utilization at varying temperatures: https://alchemyoverlord.wordpress.com/2016/03/06/an-analysis-of-sub-boiling-hop-utilization/

This article sure does have a lot of info!!  Ill check it out!  Thanks for sharing it!

After reading this article, I have come to the conclusion that IBU contribution below boil temperature, while present, is minimal and highly dependent on hop freshness and packaging.  I have also concluded that the subject has given me a headache!   ;)  That said, it was a very informative article with links to supportive documentation that will also be very useful.  Thanks again for sharing!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
Re: Post boil hopping
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 09:28:35 am »
I find this post quite informative.  I will be attempting a NEIPA in January and the recipe I’m looking at calls for hop additions at two of these points - whirlpool and hopstand.  However, when I enter this schedule into BS3, the IBU increase is very minimal.

So, I guess my question is: at what temperature do hops no longer give up bitterness?  Other than adding dry hops into the secondary, I’ve never added hops past the flameout stage.  So any additional information and knowledge on this subject would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!  :)
This article has lots of info about hop utilization at varying temperatures: https://alchemyoverlord.wordpress.com/2016/03/06/an-analysis-of-sub-boiling-hop-utilization/

This article sure does have a lot of info!!  Ill check it out!  Thanks for sharing it!

After reading this article, I have come to the conclusion that IBU contribution below boil temperature, while present, is minimal and highly dependent on hop freshness and packaging.  I have also concluded that the subject has given me a headache!   ;)  That said, it was a very informative article with links to supportive documentation that will also be very useful.  Thanks again for sharing!
You're welcome - I'm glad you found it useful. I use the chart in Figure 2 to estimate the IBU contributed by the hop stand hops, and when using fairly high alpha hops, it's substantial. Naturally, it's highly dependent on temperature and other factors. I've found that the chart matches my perception of the bitterness.