Author Topic: Does every state poke sport at the state to the south?  (Read 5209 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Does every state poke sport at the state to the south?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 09:43:28 AM »
We moved a lot. :)

No kidding.  :)

Kind of like your posting a lot.   :P ;D ;)
It is what it is  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 09:57:26 AM »
I remember trying to sort out all the upper midwest "confirmation catchphrases" at the end of sentences.  The common perception is that everyone in MN, WI, MI and IA says "eh?" like a Canadian.  I figured out it went something like folks in Wisconsin do, in fact, say "eh?" A LOT. However, folks in Minnesota often say "don cha know?".  Folks in Iowa say "yeah hey?".  I can't remember the Michigan version.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »
The common perception is that everyone in MN, WI, MI and IA says "eh?" like a Canadian. 

I don't know what you are talking aboot  :-\

The common perception is also that everyone in Canada says "eh?"  Its a regional expression in Canada as much as it is in the US.  Go north of the northern midwest US & that's where you'll hear it (central & western Canada).
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 10:19:46 AM »
I learn so much on here

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »
The common perception is that everyone in MN, WI, MI and IA says "eh?" like a Canadian. 

The common perception is also that everyone in Canada says "eh?"  Its a regional expression in Canada as much as it is in the US.  Go north of the northern midwest US & that's where you'll hear it (central & western Canada).

I don't know aboot the "eh" thing but most of the folks in the upper midwest that I deal with never say "yeah" but always "ya" (even when they're typing)
Joe

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »
I learn so much on here
That's not to say it isn't a widespread expression in Canada, but you don't hear it much east of Ontario.

But back on topic, the poking fun happens more east/west here and we have a severe inferiority complex when it comes to the neighboring southern border  ::)  even though Canada is larger (see there it is again).
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline dak0415

• Brewer
  • Winston-Salem, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »
But back on topic, the poking fun happens more east/west here and we have a severe inferiority complex when it comes to the neighboring southern border  ::)  even though Canada is larger (see there it is again).
Yes, but my wife keeps telling me size doesn't matter!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 11:42:25 AM »
Come on, we all know what it is really like down there. Lets just say,I for one am never going on a canoe trip down there that is for sure.

It suddenly dawned on me that Cap was actually making fun Tubercle and other of folks in S.C.

Tuberlce takes offense to that and really don't appreciate it as this is only a stereotype Cap's ignorance doesn't let him know that we are just as cultured as anybody else.

Here are some examples of our fine upstanding citizens out of for a lazy Saturday afternoon jam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGZ0V_QdDoc&feature=related

And some of our best pickers. Listen all the way through. If you can play an acoustic better than that, then bring it on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsemGaaG5zE&feature=related

More Saturday afternoon relaxin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0nj7KxL6WY

And even more.

I was in all them pictures some where.

We have this "Moonshiner's reunion" <http://moonshiners.com/>every 1st Friday and Saturday in October in Campobello,S..C. (Camp'beller in local vernacular) and it displays our refined upper social upbringing that has been so misunderstood by everyone outside our local area wrongly that defines us as red necks and hicks.

We even got folks in our state that has been certified with a P.H.D. (Post Hole Diggers) so all of you uppity folk had better back off Tubercle, unless he come find you and teach you some culture.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 11:49:13 AM »

I don't know what you are talking aboot  :-\

The common perception is also that everyone in Canada says "eh?"  Its a regional expression in Canada as much as it is in the US.  Go north of the northern midwest US & that's where you'll hear it (central & western Canada).

I don't know aboot the "eh" thing but most of the folks in the upper midwest that I deal with never say "yeah" but always "ya" (even when they're typing)

Ya!  You bet 'cha!  My oldest daughter says "Ya" like nervous public speakers say"uhhh".  Drives me nuts.

Paul

Modified to fix the confusing "Quote lines"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:52:45 AM by Slowbrew »
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »

I always thought it was stupid that everyone around me thought all Canadians ended every phrase with 'eh?".  Then I made my first trip to Canada on business and the first person I talked to (as I was stepping out of the door of the Toronto airport, mind you) asked me, and I quote, "Sooo, How you liking Canada, eh?".  It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud.  He was the only person I talked to during the whole trip who spoke that way.  It was just too funny.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 12:09:02 PM »
He was the only person I talked to during the whole trip who spoke that way.  It was just too funny.
Maybe he was just playing along? :)

I went to Vancouver BC for work once, and a Canadian I worked with told me - when you're in a conversation with some Canadians and there's a lull in the conversation, out of nowhere just say:

"Play hockey, eh".

So I did.

It was hilarious!  They immediately started going "oh hell yeah" and yammering on about hockey this and hockey that.  I'm a hockey fan so the conversation was fun, but man!  It was like a pre-programmed trigger phrase.   ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 12:30:42 PM »
Well as I live in Fla. we have nobody south to make fun of, thus we poke fun at the tourist.
Also Fla. is known as the limp wang of the country :o :D

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »
limp wang of the country :o :D

I love that "touch the soil" policy".
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 12:44:39 PM »
Well as I live in Fla. we have nobody south to make fun of, thus we poke fun at the tourist.
Also Fla. is known as the limp wang of the country :o :D

Summers in college, one of my brothers worked on a boardwalk on the Outter Banks of NC.  They called tourists "Tourons" for Tourist Morons.  They're slogan was "Tourons have twenties"

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • View Profile
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 12:54:47 PM »
Come on, we all know what it is really like down there. Lets just say,I for one am never going on a canoe trip down there that is for sure.

It suddenly dawned on me that Cap was actually making fun Tubercle and other of folks in S.C.

Tuberlce takes offense to that and really don't appreciate it as this is only a stereotype Cap's ignorance doesn't let him know that we are just as cultured as anybody else.

Here are some examples of our fine upstanding citizens out of for a lazy Saturday afternoon jam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGZ0V_QdDoc&feature=related

And some of our best pickers. Listen all the way through. If you can play an acoustic better than that, then bring it on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsemGaaG5zE&feature=related

More Saturday afternoon relaxin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0nj7KxL6WY

And even more.

I was in all them pictures some where.

We have this "Moonshiner's reunion" <http://moonshiners.com/>every 1st Friday and Saturday in October in Campobello,S..C. (Camp'beller in local vernacular) and it displays our refined upper social upbringing that has been so misunderstood by everyone outside our local area wrongly that defines us as red necks and hicks.

We even got folks in our state that has been certified with a P.H.D. (Post Hole Diggers) so all of you uppity folk had better back off Tubercle, unless he come find you and teach you some culture.

FREE BIRD!
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us