Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reviewing Recipes  (Read 820 times)

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Reviewing Recipes
« on: November 21, 2021, 11:29:26 am »
I know I'm not going to get a straight answer but I'm asking anyway!!

I want to brew a Rauchbier (don't forget to check out the Podcast This Week in Rauchbier) so I pulled out a few books. Brewing Classic Styles and Smoked Beers. The recipes are fairly similar. Jamil Z/John Palmer use Pilsner, Munich, & Rauchmalt and Ray Daniels/Geoffrey Larson use Munich and Rauchmalt.

I know some people use 100% Munich in some beers but I'm wondering if the Pilsner malt would be necessary at all.. I don't doubt either recipe would make a good beer but just trying to think of what I'm going to do. Hmm...

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Reviewing Recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 11:39:40 am »
I like the idea of some pilsner malt in a rauchbier. Go for it. A third of each would probably make a great version.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 11:57:13 am »
A third of each I like there your head is at! I could adjust the smoke from there and not have a crazy blast initially.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 01:03:11 pm »
It depends on your model.  IIRC, Shlenkerla refers to theirs as a smoked Marzen.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 01:14:20 pm »
If I could recreate their beer, it would get into the rotation fairly regularly.