Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing with Crisp Chevallier Heritage Malt  (Read 1105 times)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Brewing with Crisp Chevallier Heritage Malt
« on: November 15, 2021, 03:19:57 pm »
I recently listened to Experimental Brewing - Episode 141 - Re-Crisping Your Malt. One of the topics was Crisp Chevallier Heritage Malt. I am thinking of brewing a English Brown Ale or Mild with this malt. Wondering if anyone has brewed with this malt and has any tips? Also the podcast was very interesting about Crisp resurrecting these older English malts.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 03:21:41 pm by purduekenn »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewing with Crisp Chevallier Heritage Malt
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 07:55:37 am »
I'm thinking about buying some on my next order. The Crisp guys said a longer mash is called for compared to modern malt. I'm thinking that using 75% chevelier and 25% modern malt would eliminate that while still letting the flavor of the chevelier come through.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 08:26:32 am »
I used this malt (Chevalier) for several ordinary and special bitters when it first came back out 5-7 years ago and I liked the results.  Out of an abundance of caution, I went with a longer mash regimen of 90 minutes when used on its own with a touch of crystal, but when I mixed it with some regular pale malt blends for other English styles (milds or pale ales), it converted well enough in a 60 minute mash regimen.  I only had one full sack that I went through, so I can't say if they have changed the malting since the initial release.  I would follow the proposed guidelines, since these fellows surely have the experience to justify the appropriate mash regimen.  Worst case, you might end up with a slightly higher gravity wort. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 06:11:35 pm »
Thanks for the comments and tips! I think I'll get about 10 pounds of this malt and give it a try.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 02:31:58 pm »
I always do a 90-minute mash.  There is a definitely a difference between a 60-minute mash and 90-minute mash extraction rate-wise even with modern malt. I lose 2 to 3 points per pound when I limit my mash time to 60 minutes.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 07:31:46 am »
I, too, have gone to mostly 90 minute mashes…but only because it gives me time to run out on weekend errands (I usually brew on Saturdays).  The extra conversion is a reasonably good byproduct of the added time.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"