Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pectic enzyme into secondary?  (Read 3241 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
Pectic enzyme into secondary?
« on: November 24, 2021, 06:01:27 am »
I have been making cider for several years.  I don't overthink it.  I do 1 month in primary with yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme.  After a month, I put it into secondary for another month or 2 to allow more stuff to fall out (I like clear-ish) cider.  My question is, does it make sense to add more pectic enzyme when it goes to secondary?  I always have been now I am wondering if I am getting anything from that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pectic enzyme into secondary?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 08:03:28 am »
My pectic enzyme says to add it pre fermentation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 11:49:08 am »
Pectic enzymes are intended to be added at the start of primary because alcohol inhibits the enzyme although some are resistant to this inhibition. Anyway I've never added pectic enzyme to the secondary unless I forgot to add it in primary.  My ciders have always dropped clear.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 03:19:05 pm »
I've used it in secondary before.  I made a peach mead once and it had a slight haze that wasn't going away no matter how long I aged it (it was in a carboy had to be close to a year old).  I was at my LHBS for some other stuff and asked the guy if he had any thoughts.  He gave me some pectic enzyme (it was the liquid form), which I was unfamiliar with at the time.  I put some drops in and that mead dropped crystal clear overnight.

I agree with following the instructions and using it pre-fermentation, but if your batch is hazy and you suspect pectin, I would go ahead and give it a try.

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 10:01:30 pm »
I think it is yet another placebo.  I usually get clear ciders, and I never use pectic enzyme.  I don't have any, and won't buy any.  You can safely skip it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 08:07:27 am »
I think it is yet another placebo.  I usually get clear ciders, and I never use pectic enzyme.  I don't have any, and won't buy any.  You can safely skip it.

For 20+ years, everycider I made came out crystal clear with no enzyme. Like you, I told people there was no need for it.  Last year, one batch was very cloudy and after a year of cold conditioning still is.  I'm guessing there was just something different with the apples last year.  This year, Im using pectic enzyme for the first time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 01:03:48 pm »
For me, pectic enzyme is just insurance to get clear cider faster. My ciders are usually kegged and carbonated within 3 weeks, but if you have months to wait, then time generally is all you need.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Dan Schreffler

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 05:44:03 pm »
I have been making cider for several years.  I don't overthink it.  I do 1 month in primary with yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme.  After a month, I put it into secondary for another month or 2 to allow more stuff to fall out (I like clear-ish) cider.  My question is, does it make sense to add more pectic enzyme when it goes to secondary?  I always have been now I am wondering if I am getting anything from that.

At our winery, depending upon how clear we want the product we will use  enzyme 24 hours before yeast pitch.  We would not add to secondary.  Its the wrong product to use in the secondary for clarification. Usually time and gravity does most of the work, but we do use clarifiers like chitosan in the secondary, and/or filter depending upon the product's goal.  Depends on what look/taste we want in the glass/bottle for the particular cider for the consumer.
Dan Schreffler
Space Time Mead & Cider Works
Dunmore PA