Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIY LED  (Read 921 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
DIY LED
« on: October 18, 2021, 06:14:10 am »
Back in 2010 we were renovating our kitchen and I wanted undercabinet and uplighting as well as some task lighting and decided to go LED low voltage. I bought everything or the undercabinet and uplighting from a company in Arizona (Inspired LED). When I got it realized it was basically led strip lights they had cut and soldered on ends and some dimmable power supplies. For the task lighting I had them send me what they called super bright and I found an LED driver and put it on a wall switch. I ran all the wiring and learned quite a bit in the process.

Most LED lights are dimmable. If you ever want to dim LED, you need to do it after the power supply. You can do it before the power supply, but that is expensive. Dimming after the power supply is inexpensive.

My next project was our deck. I put deck dots/stair lights I got off ebay, but shipped from Charlotte, NC in the riser of the stairs. I wired them back to the power supply and between the power supply and the lights I put in an RF remote control dimmer I got on ebay for a dollar. Yep, a dollar. Let's back up a second to the kitchen renovation. We used a wall switch dimmer made for the dimmable power supply. The power supply was $60 and the wall switch was $35. It was expensive! I did the same thing after the power supply for a dollar. I wanted it to go on at dark and off late at night so I connected the power supply to a photoelectric timer and put everything in a waterproof enclosure with a clear door. The most expensive thing about the entire project was the Nema enclosure. The deck lights were maybe $40 with a power supply. The RF dimmer was $1. The photoelectric timer was $8. The enclosure was $60.

Currently I'm finishing up a bathroom remodel and it has three LED projects all tied to a central power supply. I sized the supply for all three applications. In the shower I used deck dots in the ceiling around the perimeter. They are waterproof and low voltage so no worries. Between the power supply and the lights I put in a wall dimmer which had a glass touchpad. The dot kit was $40 and the low voltage dimmer was $16. The power supply for all the low voltage was $10. For the enclosed toilet area I made a custom light. Basically I used PVC trim and created a valance. I took a single strip of 5630 LED and wrapped it around a perpendicular piece on the backside of a valance. On the bottom it has two runs of strip and on the top one run so I get up lighting and down lighting out of both. The valance is designed to wash the wall. I'm dimming it using another touch dimmer. For this one I've got $10 in PVC trim, $7 in LED strip, and another $16 dimmer. The toilet LED is only 30" wide and turned out great. I used liquid PVC to glue it and painted it the using trim paint. I have to build another one for our vanities and it will be roughly 7' wide, but will build the same way. It will take two strips and another dimmer. Hopefully I'll build it this week.

We've got a house under construction and I'm doing all the led. It's got LED everywhere, but it's all simple.
-Stair lights - using stair lights made for outdoor
-Shower lights - deck dots
-Kitchen, Pantry, Wet Bar, Desk, Laundry - uplighting and downlighting on the cabinets using led strips
-Cabinet Lazy Susan - lighting using LED strips and either switching off the door being opened or using a proximity sensor
-Bedroom cove molding uplighting - led strip
-Fireplace downlighting - led strip

What you need to know is the power required for the strip or dots if you are not using one purchased with a power supply or if you are putting together several off a common power supply. Then find an appropriate constant voltage led power supply. Most everything can be found nowadays on eBay or Amazon. I get my strips and power supplies off eBay from US sources, but I'm sure they originated overseas. Most LED products are made elsewhere.

At first it seemed a bit intimidating, but once I had a basic understanding of how it worked I realized how inexpensive it actually is to do. The hardest part is the wiring if you have to do it in the wall with existing construction.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: DIY LED
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 08:53:37 am »
Hi MDixon,

I've been interested in putting some LED lighting in my living room. My thought is to mount the LEDs in the corner where the walls and ceiling meet. Also, there would be some type of deflector to aim the light at the ceiling or a diffuser. That way it will soften the light. What you describe sounds relatively easy and inexpensive. I've looked at some LED solutions and they are quite expensive. I would be interested in seeing some pictures of your solution. Also, perhaps a basic parts list would be great. For example which LEDs you used, power supplies, etc.

Cheers,
Brandon

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 02:06:19 pm »
You would need to direct the light or put some sort of diffuser so you don't see the individual LEDs.

Here's a link from a quick Google search.
https://www.amazon.com/Muzata-Aluminum-Complete-Accessories-Installation/dp/B01NBC0NI9/ref=asc_df_B01NBC0NI9/

If I were going to do that I would first select the strip I was going to use and how much. The strip has a watts/foot rating or watts/meter and from that you can calculate how large of a power supply you need for the strip. I'd make the power supply at least 20-25% larger than what you calculate. Then you'll need wiring to get from a dimmer (if desired) to the strip and from the dimmer to the power supply. The power supply will either be hard wired on plugged in. One side of the power supply is 120v, the other is 12v (typically).

So the parts list is pretty easy:
Diffuser
Strip
Dimmer
Power Supply

For the dimmer it could be mounted in the wall or placed just after the power supply. If it's inline you could do a rotary dimmer or perhaps even an RF dimmer. Just make sure the dimmer you chose can handle the power output needed.

Here's some quick Amazon results:
Wall Dimmer
https://www.amazon.com/Wall-mounted-Dimmer-Brightness-Controller-Lamp-White/dp/B00S803KJM/

RF Dimmer
https://www.amazon.com/FAVOLCANO-Controller-Dimmer-Wireless-Control/dp/B012YT93S4/

Rotary Dimmer
https://www.amazon.com/Hiletgo-DC12-24V-Controller-compatible-LEDwholesaler/dp/B073R7H52B/

LED Strip (find what you want on eBay, this is just an example, don't get waterproof unless you need waterproof)
https://www.amazon.com/GuoTonG-Flexible-Waterproof-Daylight-Lighting/dp/B075LB9HK2/

Power Supply (need to size properly and you can find them for less money)
https://www.amazon.com/EPBOWPT-Supply-Adapter-Voltage-Device/dp/B01KT20TNG/

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 03:04:22 pm »
I put white strip LEDs in a closet that had no light in it when it was built.  I installed a motion detector to activate when you reach in to get a coat or something and a dimmer to manage brightness.  All in all, maybe $50.  Really simple to work with.

I learned to solder when I was in electronics school 40+ years ago so no challenge there. :)

I also built a plant light box for starting seedlings in the Spring.  The lights work great but, a lot like brewing, I need to figure out temp control for the plants.

We are looking to use them under our deck for subtle lighting when we are siting around a fire.  So many idea, so simple to use.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 03:53:53 pm »
Thanks for the response! It definitely gives me some good info to work with.

Cheers,
Brandon

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 02:25:19 pm »
I put some LEDs around my basement bar and bar area. I wait for Christmas time to purchase as Walmart has a string of 100 mini LEDs for around $5.98 (or close to 5.98) a box.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 02:32:15 pm »
My home is now 100% LED.
All rooms, TV's, basement, garage, closets, kitchen, outdoor flood lights, etc.
I used Lutron Maestro for kitchen, and others types where dimmers were needed.

I feel good about it, and not having to possibly changing a bulb in my lifetime.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 06:36:22 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 02:36:24 pm »
IDK. Those dang LED light bulbs don't last anywhere near as long as claimed.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 02:36:47 pm »
My home is now 100% LED.
All rooms, TV's, basement, garage, closets, kitchen, outdoor floor lights, etc.
I feel good about it, and not having to possibly changing a bulb in my lifetime.

Oh, you're gonna change some bulbs. Don't buy into that line. LED create heat and if the heat isn't dissipated properly in the bulb they won't last nearly as long as they claim on the packaging. We've got an interior uplight that seems to roach out bulbs every 6 months or less. At least with LED they last around a year.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 02:39:06 pm »
I've had problems with LEDs outside too. They are fine. Then, we get a change of weather (hot to cold, cold to hot, etc) and the bulb no longer lights.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2021, 02:50:08 pm »
More than 8 but less than 10 years ago, all florescent lights were gradually replaced with LED.
It was a slow and gradual process and was completed this year.
Range lights on hood of stove, bathrooms, closets, bedrooms, living room, basement approx 15 bulbs,
double car garage, front and back door porch, many outdoor motion flood lights, kitchen.
None of the LED lights have been replaced so far by failure. 

I do remember when LED home light bulbs were first available at Loews, HomeDepot
they were expensive, heavier, and did run hotter, I replaced those older ones.
Some were replaced where soft white was preferred, in certain areas.
LED bulbs are now much cheaper than they first were, and more types.
Example:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=amazon+basics+led+light+bulbs&crid=353O92BTFDKIY&sprefix=amazon+basics+led%2Caps%2C238&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_17

Bulbs are rated (approximate) between 10,000-50,000 hours.
No lights are left on 24-7, so the calculated service life is extended greatly, by many many years.

I suspect if LED bulbs don't last a year, something else is possibly wrong.

FYI
https://hackaday.com/2019/02/05/what-happened-to-the-100000-hour-led-bulbs/

During my lifetime was somewhat a pun, no notable health issues, but I could go tomorrow.
Some LED's will be replaced by a change in lighting requirements, or new fixture.
I was an early adopter with fluorescent lights, and that was all bulbs in the house.
Most lasted 10+ years before being replaced with LED.
Those old enough to remember how a PITA it was to replace incandescent lights,
which was an endless task.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:26:46 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 08:52:19 am »
IME LED bulbs do not have the stated life. OTOH LED strips or fixtures which use multiple LEDs or strips last an extremely long time.

We still have a couple of fluorescent fixtures (garage, closet, bathroom) and I put a fluorescent bulb in our garage door opener which has outperformed any incandescent bulb we tried in there. In our upstairs hallway we have three original fixtures which use boutique incandescent bulbs which we have not had to replace. I just bought LED fixtures to replace them and will do that next week as well as changing how those lights are wired. That leaves us with just a few incandescent specialty bulbs (ceiling fan and bath fixture). Our kitchen and island recessed are halogen incandescent which produce a ton of heat. We won't be in the current house long enough to change those fixtures.

In our new home, still under construction, everything is LED. I bought recessed LED trims which have selectable color. Where we needed bulbs I'm hoping what I chose last at least 5 years.