Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Perfect Pils - Classic German  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Perfect Pils - Classic German
« on: November 25, 2021, 05:16:10 am »
Well...the results are in.
Invited my neighbor (Dave) over to be a judge of my most recent attempt at a classic German Pilsner.
The grain bill was a 50/50 split, Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner and Avangard Premium Pilsner Malt.

Hops = Tettnanger & Hallertau.
Yeast = Diamond Lager (harvested yeast slurry)
Original Brix = 12.4
Final Brix     =   7.0
ABV            =   4.73%
IBU            =   32
SRM           =   3
Boil Time    =   90 minutes
Mash          =   Multi-Step Infusion

Dave's background is a multi award winning home brewer, plus he worked for a craft brewery in Austin, Texas, for a number of years. About 3 years ago he moved up to the North Texas area, locating in my neighborhood.

Dave is brutally honest. He told me a Festbier that I had brewed was seriously flawed (diacetyl). He seems to have a highly trained (and hyper sensitive) sense of taste, and is able to pick up more "off flavors" than most people I know.

So here is the result - He said this is one of the best Pils he has ever had. Better than most commercial examples. I told him to find a flaw with it. He said he looked high and low, but there are no flaws that he could detect.

This beer will be brewed again, in a day or two. This time I will treat the water will Gypsum / Sulfates. Note that I have never treated the brewing water before, but will do this next German Pilsner as an experiment now that we have established a baseline with the current recipe.

My personal opinion? The Pils is good. Very good. It is probably my best effort to date for this style. Next time the bittering hops will be increased to give a little more "up front" hop bitterness.

Using the two Pils malts did give this beer a little more depth of character.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 05:42:13 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: Perfect Pils - Classic German
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 07:13:38 am »
Congratulations!
FG 3.5 Plato? 1.014?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 08:29:46 am »
Did you use a refractometer?  While refractometers are convenient and use little wort, nothing beats a well-calibrated hydrometer for simplicity and accuracy.  Unlike a hydrometer, a refractometer does not test the density of a liquid.  It test for the amount of sugar in a solution. The problem with small batch brewing and the hydrometer is that the average brewing hydrometer jar is too large; therefore, it is wasteful with wort and product (even the glass cylinder/plastic base hydrometer jars sold in the home brewing trade require a 200ml sample), which is almost seven ounces of liquid for each test.  I am thinking about going back to using a 100ml graduated cylinder as a hydrometer jar.  However, it is difficult to find a full-scale hydrometer that will work in a 100ml graduated cylinder without bottoming out on final gravities.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 08:32:29 am »
Congratulations!
FG 3.5 Plato? 1.014?

OG = 1.052
FG = 1.014
ABV = 4.73%

However, Brewer's Friend calculates the ABV at 5.1%.

Yes, all measurements taken with a refractometer. Northern Brewer & Brewer's Friend is used to do the gravity calculations with alcohol present.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 08:34:51 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 09:50:17 am »
Are you willing to share you hop schedule?

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 10:45:33 am »
Did you use a refractometer?  While refractometers are convenient and use little wort, nothing beats a well-calibrated hydrometer for simplicity and accuracy.  Unlike a hydrometer, a refractometer does not test the density of a liquid.  It test for the amount of sugar in a solution. The problem with small batch brewing and the hydrometer is that the average brewing hydrometer jar is too large; therefore, it is wasteful with wort and product (even the glass cylinder/plastic base hydrometer jars sold in the home brewing trade require a 200ml sample), which is almost seven ounces of liquid for each test.  I am thinking about going back to using a 100ml graduated cylinder as a hydrometer jar.  However, it is difficult to find a full-scale hydrometer that will work in a 100ml graduated cylinder without bottoming out on final gravities.
There's always EasyDens.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 11:47:13 am »
Are you willing to share you hop schedule?

Of course! For a 10 gallon batch.

Amount   
2.50 oz    Tettnanger US.  Leaf/Whole   5.9   Boil   90 min   26.11   45.5%
3 oz            Mittelfruh      Leaf/Whole   3.75   Boil   10 min   6.75   54.5%

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 11:51:04 am »
https://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/5/5D/german-pils/

out of specs for OG and FG, and despite the BJCP ranging from "22 to 40" IBU. I cannot recall having a ger pils i would differentiate from a german basic pale lager/"helles" with anything less than mid 30s IBU. im aiming for 45 IBU with a IBU:OG ratio of 0.89 for the one im about to do.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 11:56:44 am »

out of specs for OG and FG, and despite the BJCP ranging from "22 to 40" IBU. I cannot recall having a ger pils i would differentiate from a german basic pale lager/"helles" with anything less than mid 30s IBU. im aiming for 45 IBU with a IBU:OG ratio of 0.89 for the one im about to do.

From BJCP =

Vital Statistics
IBUs    25 – 45
SRM    2 – 5
OG    1.044 – 1.050
FG    1.008 – 1.013
ABV    4.4 – 5.2%

Note above, IBU’s 32.

Yes…I totally blew it on the FG, coming in way high at 1.014.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 05:14:42 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 12:00:03 pm »

Specs are numbers. Taste is whole other thing.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 12:00:26 pm »

From BJCP =

Vital Statistics
IBUs    25 – 45
SRM    2 – 5
OG    1.044 – 1.050
FG    1.008 – 1.013
ABV    4.4 – 5.2%

Note above, IBU’s 32.
Thanks!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 12:11:32 pm »
Agreed on bumping up the ibus vs a Helles. Prost in Denver makes one of my favorite pilsners. They were 43ibu for a long time but they've dialed it back to 35 recently.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 12:24:44 pm »
Munich Helles
BJCP Guideline
IBU = 16 to 22

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2021, 12:45:35 pm »
IMO, BJCP guidelines only matter for comps
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2021, 12:59:48 pm »
IMO, BJCP guidelines only matter for comps

And this beer was brewed specifically for competition.