Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New BJCP Guidelines  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
New BJCP Guidelines
« on: November 27, 2021, 11:22:27 am »
I'm not sure how secret this was supposed to be but news was slipped on Twitter by someone known and  respected that new BJCP guidelines are coming.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: New BJCP Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 11:26:07 am »
Not secret at all lol they are working on a small update. Nothing like the changed from 2008-2015. But again, these aren't rules, just general guidelines for what to expect in a beer/to be judged against. Not for marketing purposes

(A disclaimer I give everyone when they want to fight with me over what the BJCP says)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 11:33:30 am »
Believe me I am no fan of the BJCP guidelines. There has been more disinformation about certain beer styles published by those bozos (no offense Gordon but you know its true) than anywhere else. But according to the tweet these changes are much better than the 2015 update.
- Plato

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 12:54:20 pm »
Hope these turn out better than 2015.  I recall that in 2013/2014, on the BJCP forum, all styles were open for discussion.  So, we discussed every style in detail... and then none of our comments were incorporated anyway.  Not sure whether I like that method better, or the new method where they just spring the new guidelines upon us like a surprise with zero opportunity for open discussion.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Daddylawman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 08:36:54 am »
Just one man's opinion, but they need to figure out a way to be more nimble.  Guidelines should cover what folks are brewing.  I'm not suggesting abandoning traditional styles, but if folks are brewing newer styles there need to be judging guidelines.  BJCP should reflect the members' brewing habits, not determine them

narvin

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 08:48:36 am »
Just one man's opinion, but they need to figure out a way to be more nimble.  Guidelines should cover what folks are brewing.  I'm not suggesting abandoning traditional styles, but if folks are brewing newer styles there need to be judging guidelines.  BJCP should reflect the members' brewing habits, not determine them

Perhaps create a "Specialty Fad Beer" category that can follow  the beer of the minute.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 08:49:22 am »

Perhaps create a "Specialty Fad Beer" category that can follow  the beer of the minute.

;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 09:53:55 am »

Ok…let’s cut them some slack. Let us at least allow them the “Flavor Of The Day”, or “Beer Du Jure”.

Brewers are free to brew whatever they wish, with complete disregard for traditional norms or guidelines.

In competitions, the style guidelines reflect historic traditions in beer brewing.

Let's please keep tradition alive.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:10:33 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 02:40:33 pm »

Great idea, the entrant can write the "fad" beer characteristics, which will, of course, describe the beer they are entering. Automatic winner!

I don't know what the new tweaks to the guidelines will be, but as a BJCP judge, there is no need for more "variations on a theme" beer categories.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 03:07:37 pm »
Keep in mind the amount of volunteer hours that go into creating and updating the guidelines.  Think about how difficult that is and how you might approach the job of determining if a selection of particular beers (e.g. dry IPA) merits inclusion or not.  There are enough categories to encompass what is out there and what homebrewers can brew well, IMHO.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 10:17:07 am »

Ok…let’s cut them some slack. Let us at least allow them the “Flavor Of The Day”, or “Beer Du Jure”.

Brewers are free to brew whatever they wish, with complete disregard for traditional norms or guidelines.

In competitions, the style guidelines reflect historic traditions in beer brewing.

Let's please keep tradition alive.

Oh really? I don't see a category for a strong, hoppy and pale colored British Mild. Historically that is how they were first brewed.
- Plato

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 06:29:17 am »
A lot of BJCP styles, especially the British ones, are ahistorical at best and imaginary at worst. People also mistake the map for the land and don't appreciate the diversity in the real world. As a descriptive tool I think it has some utility but it shouldn't be taken prescriptively.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 07:54:21 am »
Actually, much can be said for the comments section of each style in the guidelines - it often mentions historical differences and the fact that the guidelines deviate from historical beers in specific ways and sometimes for specific reasons.  I only feel constrained to review and follow the guidelines when I am brewing for competitions or judging in them.  Anymore that is maybe twice a year at most (last year only once - but it was a gold medal, so I was pretty happy for that event to be held, despite the COVID situation and odd manner of judging remotely that resulted).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 04:02:24 am »

[/quote]

Oh really? I don't see a category for a strong, hoppy and pale colored British Mild. Historically that is how they were first brewed.
[/quote]

This beer can be entered in Cat 27 Historical Beer
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 11:31:21 am »
Awesome, now I can finally enter my hemp banana spaghetti marinara white stout sour in the correct category
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia