Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dome top vs flat top fermenter  (Read 1181 times)

Offline copachino

• Cellarman
dome top vs flat top fermenter
« on: November 29, 2021, 10:01:10 am »
hi all, im trying to undestand why beer fermenters have a dome shapped top, i believe that its for pressure distribution for isobaric fermenter but, for non isobaric fermenters its there any use on that or its just that they look good.

the main reason its because i want to make me a 10bbl fermenter, i got all the equipment uncludinf the shop for sanitary welding (not mine but a friend of mine), so i can make it conical with out problems but the dome top its quite hard to make, im trying to make it simple, flat top with a big 12 inch ferrule on top and a 4 inch reduction ferrule for the arm and the spray ball, main use would be mead and wine.

so the main question its does a flat top could be a problem?, should be ok to add a manhole in the middel of the tank?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: dome top vs flat top fermenter
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 11:30:03 am »
Some of the most common fermenters for fermentations at atmospheric pressure have flat lids such as bucket fermenters. I have seen adjustable volume fermenters having flat lids too. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 12:08:15 pm »
I don't see that it would be an issue
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 12:21:09 pm »
The domed lid is for pressure. Either fermenting under pressure or pressure transfers.  I don’t do either. If you do or want to you might consider a domed lid. Otherwise, it’s an unused feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 12:25:37 pm »
The domed lid is for pressure. Either fermenting under pressure or pressure transfers.  I don’t do either. If you do or want to you might consider a domed lid. Otherwise, it’s an unused feature.

Since I was ignorant of this, can you tell me why a domed lid is needed for pressure uses?  I had no idea.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 01:37:55 pm »
I guess the qualifier is how much pressure. I’ve learned that very low pressure (1-2psi) can be used with my flat BrewBucket lid. …but higher than that and a domed lid is recommended.

Theoretically, a sphere would be the best shape of a pressure vessel. But a spherical shape is tough to manufacture, therefore more expensive, so most pressure vessels are cylindrical with 2:1 semi-elliptical lids (aka heads).

There are several designs of pressure vessel lids: Ellipsoidal Head, Hemispherical Head and Torispherical Head are three types of ASME Pressure Vessel Dished Heads.

Ellipsoidal head
This is also called a 2:1 elliptical head. The shape of this head is more economical, because the height of the head is just a quarter of the diameter. Its radius varies between the major and minor axis.

Hemispherical head
A sphere is the ideal shape for a head, because the pressure in the vessel is divided equally across the surface of the head. The radius (R) of the head equals the radius of the cylindrical part of the vessel.

Torispherical head
These heads have a dish with a fixed radius (CR), the size of which depends on the type of torispherical head. The transition between the cylinder and the dish is called the knuckle. The knuckle has a toroidal shape.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 01:55:43 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 01:46:12 pm »
I guess the qualifier is how much pressure. I’ve learned that very low pressure (1-2psi) can be used with my flat BrewBucket lid. …but higher than that and a domed lid is recommended.

Theoretically, a sphere would be the best shape of a pressure vessel. But a spherical shape is tough to manufacture, therefore more expensive, so most pressure vessels are cylindrical with 2:1 semi-elliptical lids (aka heads).

There are several designs of pressure vessel lids?  Ellipsoidal Head, Hemispherical Head and Torispherical Head are three types of ASME Pressure Vessel Dished Heads.

Ellipsoidal head
This is also called a 2:1 elliptical head. The shape of this head is more economical, because the height of the head is just a quarter of the diameter. Its radius varies between the major and minor axis.

Hemispherical head
A sphere is the ideal shape for a head, because the pressure in the vessel is divided equally across the surface of the head. The radius (R) of the head equals the radius of the cylindrical part of the vessel.

Torispherical head
These heads have a dish with a fixed radius (CR), the size of which depends on the type of torispherical head. The transition between the cylinder and the dish is called the knuckle. The knuckle has a toroidal shape.

Thanks for that, but I'm still left wondering why.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 01:58:03 pm »
Flat panels have little strength. Curved panels have much more strength.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 01:59:52 pm »
Have you thought of building it and testing it out MythBusters style?  Make sure to film it for us.   :D

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 02:02:06 pm »
Because circles can withstand internal pressure by pure tension in the tank material instead of bending.

If the shape were not circular, then there would be bending stresses applied and it would not be able to withstand as much pressure without breaking.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 02:06:34 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 02:37:35 pm »
DUH!  It's so obvious once someone tells you!  Thanks, gentlemen!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 02:57:54 pm »
Flat panels have little strength. Curved panels have much more strength.

With a sphere offering the greatest strength because pressure is equally distributed.