Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long do StarSanned bottles stay sanitized?  (Read 705 times)

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
How long do StarSanned bottles stay sanitized?
« on: November 28, 2021, 06:29:18 pm »
A while back I sanitized a bunch of bottles with StarSan, gravity-drained as much foam out as possible, resealed them (put the caps on to slight firmness), then stored them shut.

I was expecting to use them in ensuing batches, but with some major life-interruptions, I unexpectedly brewed far less frequently in the past 6 weeks. 

Are these bottles still good to use now, 6-8 weeks after sanitizing?  They've been stored shut the entire time.  There is a tiny bit of liquid residue in each that was the starsan foam I left in them when capping.

Sure, I could just re-sanitize...  and perhaps should...  but I'm lazy.  Do I really need to? 

How long would you let a pre-sanitized bottle store closed and still feel good about using it?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: How long do StarSanned bottles stay sanitized?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 06:58:53 pm »
Forever (or close to it). As long as nothing got in them like dust or bugs they won't harbor any beer spoiling organisms.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 07:49:19 pm »
I agree with majorvices, but there's no reason to sanitize until you're ready to use. Starsan is a no rinse sanitizer, so any residue that remains after sanitizing won't harm you or your beverages. For bottles, clean, store upside-down, then rinse and sanitize just before use.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 10:53:16 am »
If you used a fresh sani solution and new bottles, no need to re-sani. Even if a few microbes found their way in, there won't be anything to metabolize, and so they won't grow.

If the sani solution was previously used and/or the bottles are being re-used, give the liquid residue a close inspection. Is it clear or cloudy? Are there any suspicious-looking, fuzzy spots on the inside glass? If not, you are fine.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 10:58:14 am »
   I almost always sanitize more bottles than I actually use when bottling - really don't want to be a couple bottles short. Any extra get left on the bottle tree until dry, then when time permits I stretch plastic wrap on them to keep airborne stuff out and use them for later bottling, I guess I'm lazy but why sanitize more than once if I don't need to. It's nice when I have enough already sanitized bottles to do a batch and can save 30 to 40 minutes of dinking around.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 03:51:20 pm »
Thanks guys.  That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a hole somewhere in my reasoning. 

Like Visor, I generally sanitize a whole bunch at once, beyond what I need for the batch at hand.  Figured I might as well sanitize all the empties I have, as usually I would be brewing frequently enough that I'd be using them soon anyway.  I didn't expect to have 5 weeks between batches.