Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: JaDeD Hydra Wort Chiller  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
JaDeD Hydra Wort Chiller
« on: November 20, 2021, 08:59:16 am »
Ordered one of these a couple days ago.
In the special instructions on the order page, a request was made for a slight mod to the chiller, in overall coil height.
Additional follow up emails were sent to JaDeD.
No response from them. None. Period.

Next response is I get an email saying my wort chiller has been shipped! Without any mention of my requests.

Another email was sent, this time stating my concerns for the height of the chiller, and that it would be immediately returned to them (at their expense) if the wort chiller was not the size we requested.

Only after this final email did they respond. Saying they would mod the chiller, and get it shipped out this weekend.

I hope their Hydra Wort Chiller performs at a standard that surpasses the companies communication skills.

What is your experience with JaDeD?

Anyone use their Hydra Chiller?

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: JaDeD Hydra Wort Chiller
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 09:02:31 am »
I love my chiller but I just ordered the stock and I had it a few days after ordering. So I'll actually using it today.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 09:14:10 am »
I have the stainless version and am pretty happy with it.  They responded to all my emails very quickly when I had questions prior to ordering. 

The owners are nice guys, having had a few beers with them at one NHC or another.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 09:15:19 am »
The Hydra is without a doubt the best chiller I've ever used.  And the build quality is top notch.  Jaded is a one person company, so you might want to cut them a bit of slack...a bit.  Clay works his butt off.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 10:14:08 am »
The Hydra is without a doubt the best chiller I've ever used.  And the build quality is top notch.  Jaded is a one person company, so you might want to cut them a bit of slack...a bit.  Clay works his butt off.

Ok, good to know.
Thanks.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 04:37:00 am »
I love my Hydra! I wish I would of got one sooner. I am sorry you had a bad experience. But, their product is excellent.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 05:58:34 am »
Clay has been responsive in addressing my concerns, and my new chiller will be shipped tomorrow (Monday) morning.
Can't wait to give it a run!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 07:25:46 am »
I have a Jaded (standard, not customized) and a CuSS (Modified for Anvil Foundry).  Both work extremely well, especially when enhanced by the manual lifting of the coil during chilling.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 07:38:55 am »
The Hydra is the best chiller I have every used. Cools the wort down to ground water temperature in 8-10 minutes for me.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 08:03:11 am »
I like my Hydra but I no longer use it. If someone wants to buy it you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 10:17:36 am »
Are you guys using a garden hose attached to a hose bib? The reason I did not go with the Hydra is because it requires 6 gallons per minute. I use a utility sink faucet. Standard house faucets only deliver around 2 gallons per minute. That is why I went with the Faucet Flow (a.k.a Mantis).  It works well for chilling 3.5 gallons of wort, but there is little advantage over a 25 or 30 foot copper chiller.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 11:26:55 am »
We currently use a utility pump, submerged in my swimming pool for the cooling water. In the winter, the water is 46 degrees. We also use an ice bath to further chill the water before it goes into the wort chiller, so the actual temp is well below 40 degrees.
It takes over an hour to get down to 75 degrees.

We do not stir the wort as it cools, so not to disturb the hop bed filter, and the huge amount of cold break…egg drop soup, that we always have.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 12:59:05 pm »
Are you guys using a garden hose attached to a hose bib? The reason I did not go with the Hydra is because it requires 6 gallons per minute. I use a utility sink faucet. Standard house faucets only deliver around 2 gallons per minute. That is why I went with the Faucet Flow (a.k.a Mantis).  It works well for chilling 3.5 gallons of wort, but there is little advantage over a 25 or 30 foot copper chiller.
I brew in a pole barn with a high pressure water hydrant connected to a 6 foot garden house. This really helps with water flow through the chiller. The ground water is in the 50's now so I can pitch yeast for lagers quickly now. The barn is not heated so I have to bundle up in the winter but I am glad to be out of the wind!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 01:02:58 pm by purduekenn »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2021, 06:41:10 pm »
Got this delivered yesterday. Can't wait to try it out!

This thing is a work of art. It would look good in any museum of brewing.

Clay was very helpful in tweaking this to my specs.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 09:17:19 am »
The results are in!

This thing is wicked fast! Went from boiling to 78 degrees in 24 minutes, and eventually got down to 62 F. This is an all time record for us.

No, we do not stir the wort as it cools. We do not go by time, or temperature in deciding when to run off into the fermenter.

Instead, we go by the progress of the cold-break formation. When the cold break has reached it's peak, and abates any further development, we then drain the wort.

The hop bed filtration works nicely, removing 99% of the hot-break / cold-break / trub.

What passes through is caught in our ultra fine mesh nylon filter prior to going into the ferment vessel.

I really like this Hydra! You will too!