Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: most attractive beer/ favourite tint or colour  (Read 930 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
most attractive beer/ favourite tint or colour
« on: January 26, 2022, 01:24:21 pm »
i made a thread a while ago about observations on head colour based on certain malts, but it didn't take off. so now more generally, what are some of your most attractive beers youve ever made.

while good, but not amazing a beer i made that was 90% vienna, 3% each amber malt, carafa special III and crystal 120 ended up about 25 SRM, very clear and ruby red with an off-beige head. it looks nice. ive been using a lot of black (patent) malt for colour in various beers and it just doesn't give that red tint, it ends up more of a brown tint in the darkness.

have an imp stout now that is super opaque black with a brown head that looks good, i cant even see into it a millimetre in the light, and its not because its hazy.

marris otter and munich malts obviously provide some nice colours. red x? i heard it tastes bad. strange head/foam colouration tricks?

i refreshed myself on the purple rice in beer, when i made some purple rice for food recently. however, there are some pics out there on another forum, and it ends up more like a brilliant red than purple (i recall something about oxidation or ? changing the colour?).

anyone have any favourite malts that give a certain tint they like?

also, gravity affects appearance of beer, right?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:34:02 pm by fredthecat »

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: most attractive beer/ favourite tint or colour
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 01:45:58 pm »
Any beer that is as black as night with a creamy tan head will bring a tear to my eye.  I find that all other beers "pale" in comparison.   ;)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 02:31:04 pm »
The prettiest beer I made was a lager using 100% Red X malt at 1.050 OG. It was a brilliant red shade. It also made me realize that I'm not a huge fan of the flavor of Red X, especially at a large percentage of the grist. I dumped more than half the batch.

As much as I like the appearance of a good looking beer, I never brew for appearance any more.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:11:11 pm »
I think the ambers are my ‘prettiest’ beers. Something I like about them more than the straw or golden color beers. Although, I have a Scottish Ale that (if the hydrometer sample is any indication) will be a gorgeous beer. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 05:55:48 am »
I sometimes use 80% pale malt and 20% Munich in American IPA recipes. It comes out a lovely orange color.
I also like the looks of my English pale ales/bitters when I use a base malt with 1% black malt.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 07:51:34 am »
The prettiest beer I made was a lager using 100% Red X malt at 1.050 OG. It was a brilliant red shade. It also made me realize that I'm not a huge fan of the flavor of Red X, especially at a large percentage of the grist. I dumped more than half the batch.

does it taste like stronger munich? i thought that was kind of the concept. considering the many bad reviews of its flavour, i doubt i'll ever try it.

I sometimes use 80% pale malt and 20% Munich in American IPA recipes. It comes out a lovely orange color.
I also like the looks of my English pale ales/bitters when I use a base malt with 1% black malt.

i think both of these ratios are popular. i have a 80/20 2row and munich dark beer on right now, should be able to take a pic of the colour soon

ok, so 1% black malt is a perfect segue - i perceive that black malt darkens with brown, while RB darkens with a reddish tint? any thoughts?

Any beer that is as black as night with a creamy tan head will bring a tear to my eye.  I find that all other beers "pale" in comparison.   ;)

also about black malt. this year i did a stout that was only GP, flaked barley and black malt, and the head wasnt the light white i wanted, but slightly darker than expected. i do still wonder how to get a totally black beer with a really white head. maybe the GP?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 11:51:20 am »
red x
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

narvin

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 01:23:33 pm »
A pilsner so pale straw color that it looks almost green under natural light  8)

Online chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 02:46:23 pm »
I've got a dunkel on tap right now that is a wonderful brilliant dark amber.  Close to brown but not yet there and clear as a bell.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 02:57:49 pm »

does it taste like stronger munich? i thought that was kind of the concept. considering the many bad reviews of its flavour, i doubt i'll ever try it.

Yes, it tastes similar to Munich, but more intense. Not quite Aromatic/Melanoiden malt intense, but moving in that direction. It reminds me of a few beers where I overdid it on the Aromatic malt. The flavor isn't bad, but it is too much for me when used at 100% of the grist. The rub is that you're supposed to use at at 100% of the grist at 1.050 OG to get the optimum red color. At lower amounts mixed with other malts you get more orange or brown, which kind of defeats the purpose of using this malt to me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 03:27:55 pm »

Yes, it tastes similar to Munich, but more intense. Not quite Aromatic/Melanoiden malt intense, but moving in that direction. It reminds me of a few beers where I overdid it on the Aromatic malt. The flavor isn't bad, but it is too much for me when used at 100% of the grist. The rub is that you're supposed to use at at 100% of the grist at 1.050 OG to get the optimum red color. At lower amounts mixed with other malts you get more orange or brown, which kind of defeats the purpose of using this malt to me.

big time, and i definitely put priority of taste and actual quality over appearance any day. the most red beer i can imagine without starting to use non-malt/sugar colourants would be something like 98% munich 1 and 2% roasted barley, maybe with crystal 40 added at 5%,

A pilsner so pale straw color that it looks almost green under natural light  8)

yes, also this. is this an optical illusion or has anyone definitely made their beer actually green with the amount of hops/paleness of grist?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 04:25:07 pm »

I agree 100%. I love Munich malt, but when I brewed a 100% Red X beer I was not happy with the flavor. The color was gorgeous, though.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 07:12:24 pm »

I agree 100%. I love Munich malt, but when I brewed a 100% Red X beer I was not happy with the flavor. The color was gorgeous, though.
I agree. I love it split with pilsner as a base though. Make up the color with a dash of roasted malt and the color is still great.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale