Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Great Resignation  (Read 3425 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: The Great Resignation
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2021, 07:52:04 am »
The German system is interesting. It definitely railroads kids but it's not impossible to change tracks later in life. Technikers (trade school people) generally get paid more than engineers who has went to college. The best engineers are the technikers who went back to college for an advanced degree.

Their definition of trade school is a lot broader than ours. For instance, one of my friends is a banker, which is a "trade school" track there. His program was basically part time internship and part time American-style high school. There were a few years of full time internship at the end but by the time you're 20 you've got a good job and a skill if you stick with it.

The flip side is it's very difficult to change careers and industries. The culture is very conservative in that regard vs America where lots of people work in different industries and kinds of roles.

People love to speak ill of liberal arts degrees but as someone with soft and hard degrees and with American and German education I think there's a lot to be said for American creativity, critical thinking and communication. People with liberal arts degrees tend to have more of those skills, and those are the hardest skills to teach on the job in my experience.

Germany used to do compulsory healthcare or military service for young people but they phased it out 10 years ago in an attempt to professionalize their armed forces.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2021, 04:39:15 pm »
I plan on retiring as soon as I can get knee surgery done on both my knees under my employer's insurance plan. I started getting medical exams in late 2019 and preparing for the first operation, then the whole COVID thing put those plans on hold. Seems like it's not a good time getting elective surgery when ICUs are full of COVID patients. Plus, I can still hike up the mountain and hunt, so it's not a big deal.

Regarding the work force: I work for a consulting engineering firm (civil, environmental, transportation, industrial). What I've seen is a lot of mid-level staff move on to other firms, as my employer has been giving most everyone basically cost-of-living (2-3%) annual raises. So we have a lot of junior staff and a lot of senior staff. This is not good.

I still enjoy working on my technical work, but in the last couple of years, in order to improve profitability, my firm has adopted project management guidance from the Project Management Institute as requirements for managing projects, including having the project managers (self included) become certified Project Management Professionals. This is the biggest scam I have ever seen. Someone is getting rich on this malarkey.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2021, 07:08:19 pm »

I still enjoy working on my technical work, but in the last couple of years, in order to improve profitability, my firm has adopted project management guidance from the Project Management Institute as requirements for managing projects, including having the project managers (self included) become certified Project Management Professionals. This is the biggest scam I have ever seen. Someone is getting rich on this malarkey.

i just took a course on project management, i thought it was pretty useful.

i do not have the practical experience that you have though, what are your thoughts on project management?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2021, 07:54:42 pm »

... This is the biggest scam I have ever seen. Someone is getting rich on this malarkey.

I agree. I come from the PM world and saw PMI coming on the scene. The Gov’t of course has their own PM certification requirements which is also malarkey.  …and I agree someone is getting rich …in both cases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2021, 11:49:16 am »
After the latest contact negotiation with the union, Deere elected to give all their employees 8% raises. Seems like a good idea with all the turnover on the news.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2021, 03:40:34 pm »
After the latest contact negotiation with the union, Deere elected to give all their employees 8% raises. Seems like a good idea with all the turnover on the news.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Deere gave quite a bit more than that in other compensation benefits.  The last time a contract was negotiated the new, young, workers got shafted.  This contract basically brought back all the things the young folks got screwed out of the last time.  It's good to see a big company finally realize they don't exist without the workers.

Full disclosure: I do not and have never worked for Deere.  I'm from Iowa and my son lives in one of the cities Deere has a plant in.  I couldn't get him to shot about it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?