Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxiclean instead of PBW?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Oxiclean instead of PBW?
« on: December 03, 2021, 09:13:57 am »
I have seen many Youtube vids where they use Oxiclean to clean buckets, Kegs and so on.  Is there any difference?  I can get Oxiclean at the local market whereas I have to go a fair distance to get PBW.  I am sure there is a price difference as well, but I have not confirmed it.  Any input is always welcome.  RR

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Oxiclean instead of PBW?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 09:22:01 am »
Oxiclean works at a lower price, way lower if you use generic.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 09:58:21 am »
Oxiclean works at a lower price, way lower if you use generic.

Awesome, thanks.  What would be the generic name?  LOL.  I am really stupid on this stuff. 

Offline Ortizer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 10:06:12 am »
I have seen many Youtube vids where they use Oxiclean to clean buckets, Kegs and so on.  Is there any difference?  I can get Oxiclean at the local market whereas I have to go a fair distance to get PBW.  I am sure there is a price difference as well, but I have not confirmed it.  Any input is always welcome.  RR
I've found pbw to be a little more effective, but oxiclean still works fine.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 10:11:35 am »
Oxiclean works...takes a lot of rinsing. PBW works better.  Craftmeister kicks both their butts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 10:13:46 am »
I've used Oxyclean for years. I always look for the box labeled "Free"... free of scent and dyes.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 10:39:57 am »
Oxiclean works...takes a lot of rinsing. PBW works better.  Craftmeister kicks both their butts.

Awesome, thanks.  I still have enough PBW for one more cleaning.  Gonna do both buckets and keg in my new self made keg and bucket washer.  LOL.  It looks horrible, but does the trick, I think.  LOL 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 11:19:22 am »
I've used Oxyclean for years. I always look for the box labeled "Free"... free of scent and dyes.

I use Oxi Versatile. No problems.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 11:20:33 am »

Awesome, thanks.  I still have enough PBW for one more cleaning.  Gonna do both buckets and keg in my new self made keg and bucket washer.  LOL.  It looks horrible, but does the trick, I think.  LOL

FWIW, here's a comparison of PBW and Craftmeister alkaline. https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/craftmeister-cleaners-picturing-carboy-test

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 03:15:52 pm »

FWIW, here's a comparison of PBW and Craftmeister alkaline. https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/craftmeister-cleaners-picturing-carboy-test

Awesome read, and to be honest, I am thinking of their tablet form in 3 gallons of hot water.  I have rigged up a bucket and keg washer that I can pump 3 gallons thru pretty effectively.  Would that be good to do for their recommended soak time?  I am in California, so conserving water is a big deal here.   

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 05:55:51 am »
This may sound silly to some folks, but I rinse out my vessels really well and then put them through cleaning (like you I have a homemade cleaning bucket system).  So it’s rinse until all residue is gone, then cleaner bucket then rinse and sanitize.  I can keep cleanser solution for a long time and use it multiple times, before dumping it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 07:29:29 am »
This may sound silly to some folks, but I rinse out my vessels really well and then put them through cleaning (like you I have a homemade cleaning bucket system).  So it’s rinse until all residue is gone, then cleaner bucket then rinse and sanitize.  I can keep cleanser solution for a long time and use it multiple times, before dumping it.

Not silly at all. If you don't get the stuck-on residue off first you can't clean the surface underneath that it stuck to.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 07:53:49 am »
I want to add something here.  Although I am not fully knowledgeable on how Oxyclean handles organic contaminants,  an alkaline cleaner like Craftmeister or PBW will more readily kill any organic compounds (like bacteria).  Actually the best alkaline cleaner is caustic but it is dangerous to use in a homebrewing environment and can cause burns if not handled and mixed properly.  Given that, the two popular alkaline products do a good job with these organics.  If you want to be more cost effective, find a dairy supply store near you like Tractor Supply and purchase the cleaner that is used on dairy equipment.  This works very well and cleans up glassware and stainless steel nicely.  I bought a 40 lb bucket of the stuff from a local supplier that sells and installs bulk milk tanks a couple years ago and use it to clean my bottles before competitions (I don't use glass carboys anymore).  IIRC, I paid less than $50 for it and it will last me many years.

As a reminder, alkaline cleaners will not remove beer stone in kegs and fermenting vessels as  beer stone is not organic.  You need an acid wash to accomplish this.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 08:37:28 am »

Awesome read, and to be honest, I am thinking of their tablet form in 3 gallons of hot water.  I have rigged up a bucket and keg washer that I can pump 3 gallons thru pretty effectively.  Would that be good to do for their recommended soak time?  I am in California, so conserving water is a big deal here.

I prefer the powder to the tablets.  The binder in the tablets makes it harder to rinse.  And I'd rather pay for cleaning ingredients than inert binder.

www.dennybrew.com

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 08:47:41 am »
I had good results with Craftmeister  in cold water.
My only gripe is lots of shops don't carry it, and it's cost especially compared to generic Oxiclean.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women