Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: placing a chest freezer "keezer" in Garage  (Read 5927 times)

Offline BrewQwest

• Cellarman
placing a chest freezer "keezer" in Garage
« on: September 15, 2010, 06:18:03 am »
I'm from the upper midwest and I had heard from someone that not all chest freezers have the ability to withstand the frigid winters in unheated garages. Something about the coil kicking out when the temps fall below 20 degrees Fahrenheit.  Has anybody else heard this or was the guy talking out his back side? You would think the manufacturers would have some sort of warning on their freezers if this were true wouldn't you.  cheers!!
On a never-ending journey for the perfect pint of beer...

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Re: placing a chest freezer "keezer" in Garage
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 07:44:16 am »
If the ambient temp in the garage is 20, and the temp control for the keezer is set at 40.  The compressor ain't comin' on. RDWHAHB.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:46:55 am »
I had my fridge outside for a while during a kitchen remodel, and below 40F, it wouldn't work and the freezer goods would start to soften.  Luckily it would kick in again during the day and refreeze everything.  The fridge still works now that it's inside again though.  So your most likely problem will be your beer may get up to 45ish degrees if ambient temps are just right for long enough.  Or if it gets below freezing in your garage, your beer could freeze.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:18:20 am »
Or if it gets below freezing in your garage, your beer could freeze.

+1

Yep... if you're not actively controlling the temp inside, it will eventually settle out to the temp outside.

If its big enough, and you REALLY want it in your garage in the winter, how about a two-way controller with a lamp inside?

The easiest solution is keeping it in your basement/kitchen/other temp controlled area in your house.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 03:05:24 pm »
will a lamp keep it warm if the outside air gets in the 0 range? I'm sure the size of the freezer has something to do with that also, but just in general. I live in NE Washington and am needing to move my frementers out to the garage and this sounds like it could be the idea I have been looking fore. what about with a plastic bucket or something over the lamp to keep the evil light away? dose this work?

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:06:45 pm »
I have a Ranco 2-stage, 40 watt bulb covered by a small metal coffee can.  Works great!  Does the temp get down to 0 inside your garage?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 05:05:57 pm »
I dought my garage gets that cold. just the low temps for the night can get at or sometimes even below 0. I have never temped inside the garage but I'm sure it is a little warmer.

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 08:24:39 am »
Give it a shot.  If the 40 doesn't quite do it, go for a 60 or 100W bulb.  Metal coffee can would work great.

I am currently using the clamp on light fixtures with the aluminum globe around them (removed the clamp).  Just set that face down on a sheet of aluminum, secure with aluminum foil, and set the whole works on a metal spacer to keep the heat from the plastic of the freezer.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline BrewQwest

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:13:28 am »
thank you all for your inputs... Here in MN the garage can get down to below freezing temps late December through February.. Using the light bulb with the metal coffee can is a great idea... thanks!!
On a never-ending journey for the perfect pint of beer...

Offline monomer77

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 07:59:47 pm »
My outside garage fridge's freezer stops working in the cold winter months here in Illinois. Ironically, the stuff in the freezer will thaw because the freezer stops working but it's well insulated. The fridge part runs fine though.