Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crankenstein Mill opinions pro/con  (Read 910 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Crankenstein Mill opinions pro/con
« on: December 03, 2021, 03:41:20 pm »
I recently had a less than desirable experience when asking a few questions about a Crankenstein mill. Owner basically accused me of attempting to steal his ideas/design. Um, no, I was simply attempting to, finally, purchase a mill lasting a long time. Had a number of questions. I guess I exceeded their ability/desire to answer a customer's questions.

Shame too about the experience as I was 99.9% ready to purchase the mill.

Others experiences with Crankenstein customer service. Both pro and con.

Thanks.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Crankenstein Mill opinions pro/con
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 08:13:51 am »
I have a Crankandstein mill here.  I bought it about three years ago when the rollers on my JSP mill finally wore out and Jack is no longer in business.
I love the mill!  I have the three roller version here that has one dynamic roller and two other static rollers that turn when the grain is forced between them.
I actually wanted to get  three roller version that has all of the rollers driven like the model a brewery I help out in the winter months in Cocoa, Florida has, but that was a higher cost and this one does the job just fine.  Make sure to get the hopper for it as it will hold about 5-6 pounds of grain so you can re-fill the hopper less frequently.  I also have mine motorized so I don't have to manually turn it by hand and get a more consistent crush.

I have only had one problem with the mill in which the top static roller wouldn't turn after the humidity caused the grain dust to gum up the ends, but a good cleaning with a brush and a hand held vacuum quickly fixed the problem.  Obviously, this is not unique to this mill.  You will also have to install end plates on the sides of the mill, but I did that with some aluminum sheeting and aluminum tape I got at Lowe's.  It only took about a half hour to cut the sheeting  and tape it in place.

Three roller mill or two roller, that is your choice.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 12:50:39 pm »
Interesting as I also have the JSP malt mill. Purchased another mill only to discover it's a counterfeit with problems. Was considering the 3 geared Crankenstein until the rude customer service reply.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 07:17:18 am »
Interesting as I also have the JSP malt mill. Purchased another mill only to discover it's a counterfeit with problems. Was considering the 3 geared Crankenstein until the rude customer service reply.

Not sure why that happened.  Maybe someone was having a bad day.  They were very cordial when I ordered mine and I had a quick turnaround on my order., but that was about three years ago.  Good luck on whatever you decide on.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified