Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ceiling Joist and Hoist for lifting recommendations  (Read 839 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Ceiling Joist and Hoist for lifting recommendations
« on: December 02, 2021, 04:52:30 am »
When using a ceiling joist for weight I know it’s best to avoid a single lifting point.

Therefore, is it best to use a board (piece of wood) on the single joist and then attach the hoist to the board (thereby spreading out the lifting point among the board).

Or, it is better for the board to run between 2 different ceiling joists and then attach the hoist to the board (thereby spreading out the lifting point among the board and the 2 different ceiling joists)?

Thanks.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Ceiling Joist and Hoist for lifting recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 07:43:38 am »
Many questions with little detail.  First, are you referring to an actual joist or the bottom horizontal beam of a truss?  There is a big difference.  Second, what kind of weight will you be lifting?  Third, when you say “ceiling” are you referring to the underside of a floor joist?  In which case the span of the joist and cross bracing between the joists should be considered before adding weight to the underside.

So, if you’re referring to a truss, I would not recommend using the bottom of a truss as a lifting point for anything over 30-40 pounds from a single truss and that is highly dependent on the type of truss and method in which it was constructed.  Trusses are engineered to take weight from the top, not the bottom.

My response may seem a little extreme. But I’ve seen structural collapses due to improper hoisting.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 07:45:21 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 07:49:43 am »
House basement ceiling joists.

Want for lifting/positioning filled 5 gallon corney keg into keezer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 08:14:30 am »

A 5 gal. keg weighs less than 45 lb.  Doesn't seem like a big deal either way.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 09:17:06 am »

That would be a floor joist, in most cases, so meant to bear significant weight. The weight of a full corny keg would be fine.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 09:23:10 am »
I needed to beef up a 2x6 ceiling joist that ran into the garage to hang something off of.  I took another 2x6 and ran it from on sill plate the the other, in a sense, making it two 2x6's if that makes sense.  I saw on Youtube a guy used an aluminum ladder and rigged up a hoist system.  Maybe you can put the ladder over the keezer and do it that way?  I don't know, but at the very least I would figure out a way to beef up that joist if you can. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 09:26:13 am »

Of course you can enlist a friend or two to help, and then have a beer or two and marvel at your accomplishment.  LOL.  That was meant as a joke, but maybe you can get a friend or two to help you.  If you are near the San Francisco area, I would help ya out for a cold one.  RR

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 10:10:33 am »

A 5 gal. keg weighs less than 45 lb.  Doesn't seem like a big deal either way.

Agreed. Not much weight at all.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 11:48:01 am »
I agree, not much weight, but with 2 possible hernated discs (definately 1 hernated disc) in my lower back I'm taking no chances.

I did see the "Keg Hoist" on page 40 of the Jan/Feb 2020 Zymurgy magazine. Giving me ideas...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 01:17:21 pm by brewthru »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 09:10:15 am »
I agree, not much weight, but with 2 possible hernated discs (definately 1 hernated disc) in my lower back I'm taking no changes.

I did see the "Keg Hoist" on page 40 of the Jan/Feb 2020 Zymurgy magazine. Giving me ideas...

I hear ya, I have a bulging/slipped disc in my lower back and when it acts up it ain't no fun at all.   Take a look on Youtube, I saw a guy that put together a system using an aluminum ladder, rope, clamps and a wratcheting system.  Looked pretty cool.