Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ceiling Hoist Left to Right and Front to Back  (Read 861 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Ceiling Hoist Left to Right and Front to Back
« on: December 03, 2021, 01:15:49 pm »
As a follow up to my other post about a hoist for placing corny kegs into a keezer...

I searched online about hoists for keezers and corny kegs. I find the following.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/2013/07/12/lifting-carboys-and-kegs-with-a-pulley-in-the-brew-shed/

Most interesting.

Mentioned in the instructions
"It is possible to design a pulley hanger that allows for not just left/right movement, but also in and out from the wall!"

This is where I'm stuck. I searched without success. Anyone know how to do or have a link for a hoist allowing left/right and in/out from the wall?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 01:24:28 pm by brewthru »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Ceiling Hoist Left to Right and Front to Back
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 03:34:39 pm »
You would need to rig a channel on each end of the 6" pipe to allow forward/back movement. 

The pictures in the link show the example installed on a pitched ceiling which mean you would need to build a level frame to eliminate the pitch. 

C-Channel structural steel might work but building a shuttle on each end and keeping them in line would be challenging.  May bicycle pedal bearings?  Lots of ideas bouncing through the grey matter at the moment.

It's an interesting thought experiment if nothing else.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 08:23:16 am »
One suggestion I would make is instead of using a sling to lift glass carboys you buy a couple of milk crates to put the carboys in.  Glass is very dangerous and if something would slip you could end up with glass shards in your skin and a possible trip to the ER.

Better yet, go to Better Bottles that are made of PET plastic and are way safer to use than glass.  I gave up using glass carboys a couple years ago. I normally do everything in my conical fermenter, but occasionally have to transfer to a secondary for adding things like coffee beans or oak chips.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 12:44:34 pm »
Let me clarify...

I'm lifting filled corny keg into keezer. I only included the url as an idea of a hoist.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 01:47:18 pm »
This is where I'm stuck. I searched without success. Anyone know how to do or have a link for a hoist allowing left/right and in/out from the wall?

I wonder if wheels on the keezer would work for the in/out situation. Bring the mountain to Mohammed so to speak?

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 01:59:15 pm »
In looking at the setup in the link, I would ditch the straps and try and connect straight to the keg with the clips.  But I am sure you already know that.  Other than that, I think wheels on the keezer would be better.  You can make a frame out of 2x4's and use some metal strapping for support, or run a couple of extra 2x4's as joists in between.  Very simple, in my mind, and then get some cheap casters and screw them to the 2x4 frame.  Done.  Won't be pretty, but it will do the job.  Casters can lock, therefore keeping your keezer from going away, so to speak.  RR

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 03:37:08 pm »
I currently have casters on my keezer. Unfortunately, location of keezer doesn't allow moving the keezer around a lot.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 06:49:37 am »
How about a cheap car jack and an engine hoist type thing.  Put the keg on the jack, wheel it to where it needs to be, and then strap it to the lift of the engine hoist and roll that over the keezer and drop it in?  That's not the cheapest way, as engine hoist are a bit pricey, but you may be able to find a used one that will do what you need it to. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 06:56:57 am »
As said above, wheels on the freezers works great.  I use two furniture dollies per freezer and roll them around with no issues.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"