Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chilli pepper beer  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Aaron Grant

• 1st Kit
Chilli pepper beer
« on: December 05, 2021, 05:58:55 pm »
I’m after some ideas on a chilli pepper beer? Was thinking of something along the line of a English barley wine. How does the chilli peppers interact with the alcohol percentages? Is there a hop/flavour combo I should look at? I can get dried habaneros and that’s about it.
Hopefully having something that can be drunk in about 2 months, but then bottle and store the rest for my guests to take home.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Aaron Grant

• 1st Kit
Re: Chilli pepper beer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 06:00:13 pm »
It’s also summer here when we will be drinking it, so I’m not against something crisp and light either.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 06:08:36 pm »
Peppers have a surprising amount of sugar. It's really almost impossible to give you an idea how much sugar is contributed. I find that a blend of fire roasted peppers works best (be sure to roast them because that brings out the best flavor). Be sure to use some flavor peppers (like poblano) along with the fire peppers (like habanero) for the best flavor.

Obviously everyone's tolerance to heat is different but for me I want to taste the beer and peppers before I feel the heat.

Offline Aaron Grant

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 06:11:53 pm »
Yeah that’s what I’m after. I am growing poblanos by chance. But my habaneros are only flowering so don’t think they will be ready in time. So the only ones I can get are dried.
Any ideas on ratios etc?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 06:34:29 pm »
I'd recommend making a tincture, putting the peppers in a pint jar and adding just enough vodka, or other neutral spirit, to cover them. Let it sit at room temperature for a couple of weeks. Once the beer is ready to package, add the tincture to taste.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 07:43:49 pm »
Usually you will want a lot of peppers for a pepper beer, not a tincture. I have done firkins (firkin actually) with peppers before and I have used about a pound of peppers roasted and deseeded and aged directly in the beer.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 08:43:24 am »
I've had good results in a Kolsch with 2 oz. dried Jalapeños (broken up, but not deseeded) in a tincture for 5 gallons. A couple ounces of dried Habaneros in a tincture should pack a pretty good punch, even with a bigger beer.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 09:12:14 am »
I usually add the peppers after fermentation, like dry hopping.  Poblanos give nice pepper flavor, but not much heat.  A little habanero is always good to add some punch.  Most styles work well with peppers, with the exception of really bitter beers.  My opinion is that these tend to clash.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Aaron Grant

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 11:53:25 am »
Thanks everyone. I might pull some of the lager I’ve got in to a bottle and play with some Jalapeño and Habanero dry hopping and work my way from there…

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 12:03:09 pm »
One aspect to note is whether you are able to maintain head retention.  I found that the head collapses more quickly with pepper-infused beers.  Perhaps it is caused by the oils in the peppers...some one here will know, as well as how to avoid that problem.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 01:10:06 pm »
One aspect to note is whether you are able to maintain head retention.  I found that the head collapses more quickly with pepper-infused beers.  Perhaps it is caused by the oils in the peppers...some one here will know, as well as how to avoid that problem.  Cheers!
My very first peppers beers had poor retention.  I learned that roasting them (scorching the skin and then peeling it off) took care of that issue.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Aaron Grant

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 01:32:22 pm »
My very first peppers beers had poor retention.  I learned that roasting them (scorching the skin and then peeling it off) took care of that issue.
Skins are wax based so that could be the cause.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 07:27:23 am »
Roasting them brings out the most flavor anyway.

There's funny story about a firkin of pepper beer being stored in the brewery office during winter since the office was climate controlled and the brewery floor was not. let's just say peppers have a surprising amount of fermentable sugars. Likewise a surprising amount of beer can be expelled from an exploding over carbbed firkin beer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 03:14:05 pm »
I've made a hatch chile beer off and on for the last decade. Six roasted peppers and four unroasted per five gallons. Cut them open, remove the tops and seeds, freeze for a couple days and toss them in the beer after fermentation ends for four or five days--until you're happy with the flavor. The base beer is a very simple blonde ale.

Chile beers can go in a lot of directions depending upon what flavor and heat you want. Personally I like a lot of flavor and just a little heat so you can drink through an entire beer or more without regret. I've had blisteringly spicy beers like Stone Crime which was delicious but painful.

If your only option right now is dried habanero I think that could work in a barleywine. I'd start low at one or two per five gallons for a week. You can always take out the old peppers and add more until you like the flavor/heat. You can't take the heat out of the beer so it's better to start small and add more versus starting with a lot and hope your friends have a tolerance for capsaicin.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing