Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tex-Malt: First Impressions  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Tex-Malt: First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2021, 05:54:07 am »
I'm more than happy, although I don't see any trade offs from my point of view.  The malt acts predictably and makes delicious beer.  That's good enough for me.
Different folks, different strokes.
Protein, soluble protein, enzyme content, beta glucans vary greatly, not only from variety to variety but also within variety depending on fertilization  (affects protein) and weather conditions.
Let's see how many small malsters can get good malt after the very bad 2021 harvest.

If you can live with 2-3-4 points differences in OG and/or FG, you are right, the trade-offs are minimal.

Was 2021 a bad year for barley? Is this a worldwide issue? Just in Europe? In the USA?
My guess is all of the grain we have now in our storage facility is from 2020.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2021, 06:00:20 am »
I'm more than happy, although I don't see any trade offs from my point of view.  The malt acts predictably and makes delicious beer.  That's good enough for me.
Protein, soluble protein, enzyme content, beta glucans vary greatly, not only from variety to variety but also within variety depending on fertilization  (affects protein) and weather conditions.
Let's see how many small malsters can get good malt after the very bad 2021 harvest.

If you can live with 2-3-4 points differences in OG and/or FG, you are right, the trade-offs are minimal.

Was 2021 a bad year for barley? Is this a worldwide issue? Just in Europe? In the USA?

Bad in the US. Not great in the EU. Australia had a good crop.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2021, 07:30:34 am »

A silver lining, specifically for you, is that Texas weather was not abnormal, so if your maltster had a contract with the Texas growers, s/he is likely to get  good malting barley.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2021, 08:50:47 am »
Let's see how many smell malsters can get good malt after the very bad 2021 harvest.

If that happened to me, I would I would not find it a problem.  But it hasn't happened, at least to the extent that I've noticed it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2021, 09:23:11 am »

A silver lining, specifically for you, is that Texas weather was not abnormal, so if your maltster had a contract with the Texas growers, s/he is likely to get  good malting barley.

Can't speak for the grain growing region in West Texas (Amarillo), but here in North Texas (DFW region) this year has been cooler than normal, with far more rainfall. I think this spring we had as much rain as we normally receive in an entire year.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2021, 09:28:30 am »

Can't speak for the grain growing region in West Texas (Amarillo), but here in North Texas (DFW region) this year has been cooler than normal, with far more rainfall. I think this spring we had as much rain as we normally receive in an entire year.
That's likely to make good barley provided they had good drainage.
Certainly, to begin with, they planted a variety that grows well in Texas weather.
Of course, not much brewing barley is grown in Texas.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2021, 10:04:52 am »
I think the problems with the growing season will affect the maltsters who purchase their grain from farmers in the western states. We had adequate rain on the East Coast, so East Coast craft maltsters such as Riverbend and Dark Cloud should not be as negatively affected as craft maltsters in the west.  I tend to get worried when the corn crop is negatively affected because it is a sign of inadequate rainfall.  We had a decent corn crop this year.  Does anyone know if the barley growers were affected in the midwestern states?  I seem to recall the drought being a West Coast thing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:53:27 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2021, 10:33:38 am »
Let's see how many smell malsters can get good malt after the very bad 2021 harvest.

Hey, I'm curious....have you had problems with craft malts, and if so, which ones?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2021, 10:39:11 am »
I think the problems with the growing season will affect the maltsters who purchase their grain from farmers in the western states. We had adequate rain on the East Coast, so East Coast barley crops should have been as negatively affected. East Coast craft maltsters such as Riverbend and Dark Cloud should not be as negatively affected as craft maltsters in the west.  I tend to get worried when the corn crop is negatively affected because it is a sign of inadequate rainfall.  We had a decent corn crop this year.  Does anyone know if the barley growers were affected in the midwestern states?  I seem to recall the drought being a West Coast thing.

I did not follow it closely, but it appears the upper midwest might have been hit hard, lack of rain.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2021, 11:47:45 am »
I think the problems with the growing season will affect the maltsters who purchase their grain from farmers in the western states. We had adequate rain on the East Coast, so East Coast barley crops should have been as negatively affected. East Coast craft maltsters such as Riverbend and Dark Cloud should not be as negatively affected as craft maltsters in the west.  I tend to get worried when the corn crop is negatively affected because it is a sign of inadequate rainfall.  We had a decent corn crop this year.  Does anyone know if the barley growers were affected in the midwestern states?  I seem to recall the drought being a West Coast thing.

It was dry in the upper plains. When they did get rain it was at the worst time,  listen to the MBAA podcast 228.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:34:01 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2021, 12:40:53 pm »
This shows where the drought was. Most ofvthe Midwest was fine. The upper plains wasn't.
https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/2021-north-american-barley-crop-report
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2021, 01:47:17 pm »

Hey, I'm curious....have you had problems with craft malts, and if so, which ones?

First, it's not a problem, just a trade-off.
A local malster in Texas I'd rather not name (it's only my take after all).
Two different bags, different years, of their pilsner malt. Similar mash procedure, for attenuation. Same beer. Same fermentation. One malt 1.049 OG to 1.007 FG. Second malt 1.046 to 1.010.  First malt was 25% higher protein vs the second one (learned afterwards).
Used others, but not different bags of the same malt.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 02:11:05 pm by lupulus »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2021, 02:12:34 pm »

Well, there are not very many, 3 that I can find.

https://texmalt.com/

https://maverickmalthouse.com/

https://www.blacklandsmalt.com/

And here's the the master list:

https://craftmalting.com/craft-malt-finder/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 02:14:33 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2021, 03:01:01 pm »

Well, there are not very many, 3 that I can find.

https://texmalt.com/

https://maverickmalthouse.com/

https://www.blacklandsmalt.com/

And here's the the master list:

https://craftmalting.com/craft-malt-finder/
Yep. One of these.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2021, 03:48:50 pm »
Well, we can take a stab at it with a 33% chance of guessing correctly.

I contacted all of the above. The folks at TexMalt and Maverick Malthouse were super nice. Willing to work with us.

Blacklands? Could not even get them to answer the phone. Left messages, no response.