Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New BJCP Guidelines  (Read 2164 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: New BJCP Guidelines
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 11:59:21 am »
I wonder what category Lil Nas X entered Old Town Road in?

Food, drink, music, movies, plays, literature are all subjective art forms that change with time. Categorizing them is a near impossible task and I am sure a thankless endeavor.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 12:19:11 pm »
Awesome, now I can finally enter my hemp banana spaghetti marinara white stout sour in the correct category

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 04:20:54 pm »

Ok…let’s cut them some slack. Let us at least allow them the “Flavor Of The Day”, or “Beer Du (sic) Jure”.

Brewers are free to brew whatever they wish, with complete disregard for traditional norms or guidelines.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/de%20jure

is this about the reinheitsgebot in france?

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 06:02:32 pm »
I wonder what category Lil Nas X entered Old Town Road in?

Food, drink, music, movies, plays, literature are all subjective art forms that change with time. Categorizing them is a near impossible task and I am sure a thankless endeavor.
So true!  So interesting that we always want to categorize them despite this.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 08:39:51 am »
Remember, the Style Guidelines are just that "guidelines".  You can diverge a bit from them if you feel it makes the beer better.  You can also add comments in the Brewer's Specifics section that will guide the judges in competition when they evaluate the beer.

I said this before, I entered an American Brown Ale in a recent competition that I brewed to a higher ABV and higher IBU's to balance it.  The beer won gold and I got my highest ever score with a 43.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2021, 09:35:13 am »
Remember, the Style Guidelines are just that "guidelines".  You can diverge a bit from them if you feel it makes the beer better.  You can also add comments in the Brewer's Specifics section that will guide the judges in competition when they evaluate the beer.

I said this before, I entered an American Brown Ale in a recent competition that I brewed to a higher ABV and higher IBU's to balance it.  The beer won gold and I got my highest ever score with a 43.
We say it again and again, but no one cares

I'd add you can diverge from them completely. No one cares unless you are being judged to a guideline.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2021, 09:54:48 am »

That's why I don't do competitions anymore. I've entered great beers and gotten dinged for being "out of style." I've never figured out how to be "out of style" in just the right way to impress the judges.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2021, 07:59:05 am »
And then there are those brewers who may be newer to the hobby of just less knowledgeable who take the guidelines as gospel.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2021, 08:38:05 am »
And then there are those brewers who may be newer to the hobby of just less knowledgeable who take the guidelines as gospel.

They'll learn, just as we all do
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online BrewBama

New BJCP Guidelines
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2021, 02:32:20 pm »

They'll learn, just as we all do
Then they should read this in the guidelines:

“The following maxims express our original intent, and are designed to limit misuse not prevent the guidelines from being adopted for new uses:

1. The BJCP Style Guidelines are guidelines not specifications. Take those words at face value, or their plain meaning.  Guidelines are meant to describe general characteristics of the most common examples, and serve as an aid for judging; they are not meant to be rigorously-applied specifications that are used to punish slightly unusual examples. They are suggestions, not hard limits. …”

Bier bewusst genießen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 02:34:33 pm by BrewBama »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2021, 04:43:31 pm »
It bothers me a bit that recommendations made when the current guidelines were created, weren’t incorporated. But I do believe that the guidelines provide a viable and useful description of what a brewer and a drinker might use to set their expectations.

I recognize that there is often latitude in a style’s specifications and variations in resulting beers might differ, but there does need to be some definition of what a style is supposed to be like and if it can trend toward other styles. But it also needs to say what that difference is.

I don’t think that adding new and emerging styles is bad either. They should be cataloged just like the other styles.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2021, 07:20:38 am »
There's a few Q&A articles they wrote that they should probably just add to the end of the guidelines.

I'd be interested to read if BJCP style guidelines actually changed anything (style wise). Seems like things are more steered by commercial beer, where it only matters if it sells and they have their own categories anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2021, 04:54:00 am »
Ron Pattinson has started to review the new guidelines and thinks they are a step up, at least with respect to non-American styles.  This sounds promising to me.

https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2021/12/judging-begins.html
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.