Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ask us anything!  (Read 6506 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Ask us anything!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2021, 09:08:21 am »
My question: why do people make peanut butter beers.
Because someone wants to buy it.

Hahahaha ... thew actual correct answer.

Seriously, I'm just messing around. everyone should drink what they want to drink. I don't care for novelty beers, personally. They are great for about 2 oz but I don't care for more than that. But that's just me. I don't expect everyone to have pristine taste.  ;) :D

And I like distinctive and innovative small breweries that take an individualistic approach to interpreting historic styles, often with unique twists and non-traditional ingredients, and who aren't afraid to develop new styles that have no precedent.  That's what I'm looking for in a Craft Brewer.  But that's just me.
 ;)

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2021, 06:44:04 pm »
Unfortunately, I don’t have any questions that come to mind, but I will say I’m looking forward to the Q&A session.  Just enjoyed the Brew Files on Malted Corn and Cream Ale today.  Keep up the good work.  You two will always keep me from taking myself too seriously and worrying about the little things.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2021, 07:48:21 am »
Unfortunately, I don’t have any questions that come to mind, but I will say I’m looking forward to the Q&A session.  Just enjoyed the Brew Files on Malted Corn and Cream Ale today.  Keep up the good work.  You two will always keep me from taking myself too seriously and worrying about the little things.

Thank you so much!  I love it when somebody gets it!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2021, 09:27:41 am »
Here's a question. When you have a yeast slurry that you've harvested from a previous batch, or gotten from a local brewery, are you just pitching the entire slurry into a new batch or are you making a starter from the slurry first?
If you're making a starter from the slurry, how much slurry are you using to make the starter?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2021, 10:27:28 am »
I have a pound of Fuggles in my freezer. What sort of beer would you recommend that I brew?

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2021, 10:56:49 am »

And I like distinctive and innovative small breweries that take an individualistic approach to interpreting historic styles, often with unique twists and non-traditional ingredients, and who aren't afraid to develop new styles that have no precedent.  That's what I'm looking for in a Craft Brewer.  But that's just me.
 ;)

absolutely for a homebrewer. im very unlikely to buy a large amount of basic style beer, when i can reliably make that at home. at the same time, i'm very, VERY unlikely to dedicate 5 gallons of brew to something like a sour cherry+gingerbread spice porter because even if its good.. i don't think i'd be able to drink 5 gallons of it.

i tried a green tea (matcha) lager recently that was horrible (though i think not necessarily the fault of the green tea by itself). i would be so annoyed to just have to dump 5 gallons of that.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2021, 10:58:56 am »
Denny,
 Thanks. I have a question. Visited a local brewery. Had a wonderful Peanut Butter Porter. I ask the person working at the brewery how they got the peanut butter taste into the beer. I mention I didn't believe normal sandwich peanut butter was used as this type of peanut butter is oily. I get a blank stare and then "I don't know".

Any idea how to get a peanut butter flavor/aroma into a brew similar to what I describe with the Peanut Butter Porter?

Thanks.
You would use PB extract.

i actually did find defatted peanut butter powder at a bulk product store near me. i bought some considering homebrewing and tasted it in a hot chocolate first. it was super bland even at a fairly large amount. yeah, probably PB extract, or potentially homemade via high ABV spirit with roasted peanuts or peanut butter added to it? then the oil skimmed off?

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2021, 03:55:47 pm »

THIS.  No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the public.

To play off this idea and other recent posts on the forum:  what do you find yourself brewing these days? What's driving recipe design? Has it changed over the course of the quarantine? What about in homebrewing writ large --- have the kit makers seen a shift in what's selling?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 04:42:21 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2021, 08:40:45 am »

To play off this idea and other recent posts on the forum:  what do you find yourself brewing these days? What's driving recipe design? Has it changed over the course of the quarantine? What about in homebrewing writ large --- have the kit makers seen a shift in what's selling?

If you're asking me, I'm brewing pretty much the same stuff I always have.  At this point, I know what my tastes are and that's what I brew for.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2021, 10:10:02 am »

If you're asking me, I'm brewing pretty much the same stuff I always have.  At this point, I know what my tastes are and that's what I brew for.

I'm with ya on that one, Denny!

Occasionally I will try something new to get out of a rut, but mostly have the same stuff on tap that I always have because my family, neighbors, and I like them.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2021, 03:18:43 pm »
Denny,
 Thanks. I have a question. Visited a local brewery. Had a wonderful Peanut Butter Porter. I ask the person working at the brewery how they got the peanut butter taste into the beer. I mention I didn't believe normal sandwich peanut butter was used as this type of peanut butter is oily. I get a blank stare and then "I don't know".

Any idea how to get a peanut butter flavor/aroma into a brew similar to what I describe with the Peanut Butter Porter?

Thanks.

i actually did find defatted peanut butter powder at a bulk product store near me. i bought some considering homebrewing and tasted it in a hot chocolate first. it was super bland even at a fairly large amount. yeah, probably PB extract, or potentially homemade via high ABV spirit with roasted peanuts or peanut butter added to it? then the oil skimmed off?
I get LD Carlson extract from AIH.

https://www.homebrewing.org/Natural-Peanut-Butter-Flavoring-4oz-_p_4316.html

I use about 1oz of extract for 3.5 gal of beer.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2021, 05:10:32 pm »
Denny,

Thanks.

I get LD Carlson extract from AIH.

https://www.homebrewing.org/Natural-Peanut-Butter-Flavoring-4oz-_p_4316.html

I use about 1oz of extract for 3.5 gal of beer.

thats a great price for the equivalent of flavouring about 1 gallons of beer.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2021, 12:00:28 pm »
Might be a bit too late on this, but I saw in Hieronymus' newsletter Pahto was a top 5 hop by itself (Pahto 5.2 million lb). How's it being used? Is it just the latest and greatest bittering hop? That's how I used my free sample from Homebrew con, is there a better use?

https://yakimavalleyhops.com/products/pahto-hop-pellets

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2021, 07:27:15 pm »

Seriously, I'm just messing around. everyone should drink what they want to drink. I don't care for novelty beers, personally. They are great for about 2 oz but I don't care for more than that. But that's just me. I don't expect everyone to have pristine taste.  ;) :D

I know this is too late for the podcast and also really a side convo, but I actually spent a long time today pondering the concept of a "novelty beer" while running errands, some related to my first brew in several months and the maiden voyage of the hoist assembly for my Mash and Brew. (Time off -- that's a novelty!)

It's unclear to me when any homebrew ingredient is a novelty. I don't need someone to explain the style guidelines to me--I just read the new edition. I just think most homebrew is a novelty to begin with, whether we're dialing in a clone SMASH or throwing in half the pantry into a one-off. Peanut butter is not that strange an adjunct to begin with, given that like oatmeal it is another common pantry item (even if in this case it's being emulated with powder or flavoring). Peanut butter is also a natural complement to malty and/or roasty beers. I've had peanut butter beers that were, to my taste, absolutely delicious, and fully messaged "beer" to me. Not sure what I'm saying here, but IMO the world of homebrew benefits from an expansive interpretation.

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2021, 08:19:22 pm »

I know this is too late for the podcast and also really a side convo, but I actually spent a long time today pondering the concept of a "novelty beer" while running errands, some related to my first brew in several months and the maiden voyage of the hoist assembly for my Mash and Brew. (Time off -- that's a novelty!)

It's unclear to me when any homebrew ingredient is a novelty. I don't need someone to explain the style guidelines to me--I just read the new edition. I just think most homebrew is a novelty to begin with, whether we're dialing in a clone SMASH or throwing in half the pantry into a one-off. Peanut butter is not that strange an adjunct to begin with, given that like oatmeal it is another common pantry item (even if in this case it's being emulated with powder or flavoring). Peanut butter is also a natural complement to malty and/or roasty beers. I've had peanut butter beers that were, to my taste, absolutely delicious, and fully messaged "beer" to me. Not sure what I'm saying here, but IMO the world of homebrew benefits from an expansive interpretation.
+1. The correct answer. It’s really what “craft beer” is all about.  And everyone knows it, whether they are willing to admit it or not.

Heck, If I wanted to just drink German lagers all the time, I’d just go right to the source and buy lagers from Germany. I don’t need a “craft” brewery for that.