Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Ask us anything!  (Read 6624 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Ask us anything!
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2022, 09:33:50 pm »
I started using a bag in my Foundry for my past 3 or 4 brews and I like it a lot. I don't recirculate during the mash, but I always had a fair amount of husk material slip through the holes in the basket. I can't say for sure that it ever impacted my beer, but it never gave me the warm and fuzzies to see them at the bottom of the kettle at the end of the day. It is also easier to get my spent grains out for my chickens.

I've started milling my grains into my bag-lined basket and slipping it into my strike water. It's sort of a pseudo underletting, and it has definitely lead to less dough balls for me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2022, 04:24:45 am »
If you’re using a bag you could also switch to a dunk sparge. I BIAB with a regular kettle as opposed to an all in one. I pull the bag and hang it over the kettle for a couple of minutes then place it in my sparge water vessel. I stir a bit and then let the bag sit for 5 minutes in the sparge water and then pull and drain. I then pour the sparge batch into the main kettle. I find dunk sparging much simpler than pouring one cup at a time over a basket (I used to have a Grainfather).

PS. I brew three gallon batches so the volumes make all this pretty easy.

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2022, 07:36:39 am »
What have you brewed that falls outside of bjcp styles? Anything you really like?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2022, 08:05:49 am »
I started using a bag in my Foundry for my past 3 or 4 brews and I like it a lot. I don't recirculate during the mash, but I always had a fair amount of husk material slip through the holes in the basket. I can't say for sure that it ever impacted my beer, but it never gave me the warm and fuzzies to see them at the bottom of the kettle at the end of the day. It is also easier to get my spent grains out for my chickens.

I've started milling my grains into my bag-lined basket and slipping it into my strike water. It's sort of a pseudo underletting, and it has definitely lead to less dough balls for me.
Is there a bag made for the Foundry, or a particular one that fits? The husk left behind is about the only beef I have with mine.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2022, 09:19:04 am »
Is there a bag made for the Foundry, or a particular one that fits? The husk left behind is about the only beef I have with mine.

There is! Check out The Brew Bag® -- now sold solely via the Anvil (Blichmann) website. I've used one for about a year (20+ brews), and they are *super* durable and quite easy to clean; definitely worth the price. If you have another bag you used for BIAB, that should work also, although it might not fit as cleanly (this is what my dad does).
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2022, 11:56:18 am »
I can vouch for the BrewBag. Though I don’t have an all-in-one system, I’ve been using a BrewBag in my mash tun with false bottom for many many years.

It’s a ‘belt and suspenders’ approach with the key feature being easy cleanup.  Pull the bag, feed the deer, rinse it and the mash tun, and it’s done.

I’ve used it in my outside gravity system, moved brewing inside with RIMS, and now HERMS.  I don’t brew without it.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2022, 01:43:26 pm »
If you’re using a bag you could also switch to a dunk sparge. I BIAB with a regular kettle as opposed to an all in one. I pull the bag and hang it over the kettle for a couple of minutes then place it in my sparge water vessel. I stir a bit and then let the bag sit for 5 minutes in the sparge water and then pull and drain. I then pour the sparge batch into the main kettle. I find dunk sparging much simpler than pouring one cup at a time over a basket...

Now I feel a bit stupid, as in, why has it never occurred to me to try this? 

Cue the "I could've had a V8" self-bonk.

I love this forum. 

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2022, 05:19:08 pm »

There is! Check out The Brew Bag® -- now sold solely via the Anvil (Blichmann) website. I've used one for about a year (20+ brews), and they are *super* durable and quite easy to clean; definitely worth the price. If you have another bag you used for BIAB, that should work also, although it might not fit as cleanly (this is what my dad does).
Thanks Andy!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.