Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIY Cold Room  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: DIY Cold Room
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2021, 05:11:23 pm »
Well, for any man who is open to listening, if you have moobs, you have a testosterone/estrogen imbalance that will take years off of your life expectancy.  Healthy men do not have moobs.  When I was a body builder, the effects of elevated testosterone resulting in elevated estradiol was known as "b*t*ch t*t," which resulted in hard upper pecs, but soft lower pecs.  What that condition is known as is gynecomastia (look it up).   The extra flesh in the pecs is not fat.  It is the development of breast tissue (a.k.a. feminization of the male body along with rounding of the face and hips).  For steroid/testosterone using bodybuilders, it was the result of extremely high testosterone levels without the mitigating affects of an aromatase inhibitor such as anastrozole.  We did not have anastrozole available to use in the eighties and early nineties, so dabbling in testosterone supplementation and anabolic steroids was akin to rolling the dice.  Luckily, I was an all-natural body builder because I did not have a problem putting on muscle weight.  I never got grotesquely huge, but I did reach a point where I weighed 225 at 5'11.75" with 6% body fat.  I had a 52" chest with a 32" waist, which means that BMI is a BS measurement.  It is only valid for small and medium build people.  Muscle weighs significantly more than fat, but if one is fat, one is deluding oneself with respect to BMI.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2021, 05:16:42 pm »
Well...this thread went downhill really fast.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2021, 05:27:23 pm »
FOR SALE!! One Barrel brew system. Must sell due to the possibility of getting a fatty liver sometime in the future. What a turd!

The legal production for a single person is 100 gallons or 200 gallons per household per year.  It looks like that guy had 30 gallons on tap, so unless he is married, then we are looking at close to 1/3rd of the legal limit.  A hundred gallons per year works out to 15.38 pints per week, which is considered to be above moderate drinking for a man (24 fl. ozs per day) and more than twice what is considered to be moderate drinking for a woman (12 fl. ozs per day).  In fact, drinking two pints day for a sustained period of time is asking for trouble.

https://medlineplus.gov/fattyliverdisease.html

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/alcoholism-treatment/effects-of-alcohol-on-the-pancreas

I know people who have suffered from one or both disorders due to consuming alcohol at above moderate levels.  I came dangerously close to contracting alcohol-induced pancreatitis and I was not drinking much more than two pints a day back in my thirties, often not even one pint a day.  I was in excellent shape before I started brewing in my early thirties (I did not like beer at that point).  That is how the shaken-not-stirred starter came about. It was the result of being very strong.  I had a resting heart beat of 46 BPM, which was low enough that I had trouble donating blood. By the end of my thirties, I was pre-diabetic, which is the main reason why I left the hobby the first time in my early forties. 

The reason why people who drink beer heavily gain weight is because the liver is too busy trying to process the alcohol to process the carbs in beer along with any food that is eaten.  The unprocessed calories get deposited as visceral fat, a.k.a. belly fat.  We refer to this weight gain pattern as a "beer belly" for a reason.  Visceral fat is evil stuff because it is deposited inside of the abdominal wall around the organs.  The other ugly thing about visceral fat is that it increases aromatase production.  Men need small amounts of estrogen, but testes produce testosterone, not estrogen.  In in the male body, estrogen is synthesized from testosterone by the body using an enzyme known as aromatase.  Visceral fat produces aromatase. The higher a man's visceral fat level, the more of his testosterone gets converted to estrogen.  Since estrogen level (actually, the estrogen known as estradiol) regulates the production of testosterone in the male body via the hypothalamus, the higher a man's estrogen level, the lower his testosterone level.  What happens is that a man gets trapped in a cycle where his estrogen keeps increasing and his testosterone keeps decreasing, resulting additional visceral fat gain and feminization of his body.  That is why men with large large amounts of visceral fat tend to develop man boobs (a.k.a. moobs).  Any man who has moobs should have total and free testosterone tests as well as a sensitive estradiol (E2) test performed to see where these levels are and take appropriate action if they are off kilter because not treating this problem will shave years off of his life.

I have a liver the size of a NFL football, nutz the size of quart jars, moobs the size of water balloons and my beer belly rivals that of Santa himself!! I can crush 18 liters of high octane homebrew in a weekend and s*** gold tokens from my hairy ass. For fun I lick door knobs upon entry to hospital rooms. In other words I don't give it one second of worry about what might happen to me either from drinking, smoking weed or driving my bike. Life happens friend, live it for the end come quickly. Cheers!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2021, 05:30:13 pm »
Well, for any man who is open to listening, if you have moobs, you have a testosterone/estrogen imbalance that will take years off of your life expectancy.  Healthy men do not have moobs.  When I was a body builder, the effects of elevated testosterone resulting in elevated estradiol was known as "b*t*ch t*t," which resulted in hard upper pecs, but soft lower pecs.  What that condition is known as is gynecomastia (look it up).   The extra flesh in the pecs is not fat.  It is the development of breast tissue (a.k.a. feminization of the male body along with rounding of the face and hips).  For steroid/testosterone using bodybuilders, it was the result of extremely high testosterone levels without the mitigating affects of an aromatase inhibitor such as anastrozole.  We did not have anastrozole available to use in the eighties and early nineties, so dabbling in testosterone supplementation and anabolic steroids was akin to rolling the dice.  Luckily, I was an all-natural body builder because I did not have a problem putting on muscle weight.  I never got grotesquely huge, but I did reach a point where I weighed 225 at 5'11.75" with 6% body fat.  I had a 52" chest with a 32" waist, which means that BMI is a BS measurement.  It is only valid for small and medium build people.  Muscle weighs significantly more than fat, but if one is fat, one is deluding oneself with respect to BMI.

Do you have pictures of yourself on the walls of your bathroom? Asking for a friend who happens to be tired of his moods.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2021, 05:40:10 pm »
Well...this thread went downhill really fast.

Boy, I'll say. Geez!

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2021, 06:39:54 pm »
Sorry guys, I need to bow out now.  This isn’t productive.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2021, 08:16:10 pm »
Some people have friends come over.  You should try it sometime.

That is a lot of friends.  I had a lot of friends come over in my thirties.  Yet, I never had more than three kegs on tap at any given time and I used to have to dump beer to brew.  I stand by my assertion that six kegs on tap at any given time pretty much equates to alcoholic level consumption.   I care about people.  I do not want to yet another person I like have to leave the hobby because he/she received  bad news from his/her medical practitioner.  Euge was the latest example of that phenomenon.

this is an odd reply, but feel like replying now. i actually read your initial post ITT, and sort of crystalized the fact that lately (at the end of a very stressful final semester where i drank a lot when i was able to do so, to escape the stress) that now is a time to take a pause.
don't worry, im not in any kind of serious health concern. but im just generally health-conscious, and i have a high-stress life, so any imbalance tends to hit me. i'll probably be abstaining until christmas and then being more conscious of my consumption going forward.

jsin, that someone did read what you wrote and it was the right time to hear it.

and yes BMI is completely meaningless lmao. im apparently borderline "obese" (hint: im not)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 08:18:54 pm by fredthecat »

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2021, 11:45:16 am »
My OP wasn't about the number of taps available it was about the cold room.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2021, 01:16:51 pm »
Lots of people own Corvettes but few people drive 200mph. Sports cars are much more impractical, expensive and deadly but if you're a car enthusiast it can be a worthwhile purchase.

Saccharomyces lives to criticize anyone who doesn't share his beliefs or goals. He doesn't seem to understand that everyone doesn't share his every idea. I've learned to dismiss his posts and move on to things than matter to me. Thinking he'd make a good politician.

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2021, 07:56:42 pm »
My OP wasn't about the number of taps available it was about the cold room.

THIS ^^