Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: umami water treatment  (Read 6403 times)

Offline robbievonb

• 1st Kit
  • San Marcos, CA
Re: umami water treatment
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 08:42:14 pm »
I say go for it.  A friend and I brewed a wee heavy that had a small amount of peat malt in it.  The combination of the slight smokey flavor and the final gravity being on the high side was a noticeable umami flavor.  It was delicious and paired really well with bbq.  We still lovingly refer to it as the beer that tasted like meat.

Offline uisgue

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 08:16:42 am »
I think I'll go with Denny's idea of having two separate 5 gallon boils to compare. Just need to decide what style might benefit most or what style might yield the most experimental info.
Doug Hickey
Crescent City, CA
Symposia Brew Corps

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 09:33:03 am »
Let us know how it goes, I'm interested in what kind of flavors you get out of it.

Although I still think you could sprinkle some in a glass of beer and get some clue what it will taste like.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 10:22:14 am »
Did it once a while back after reading some of the first reports about umami for the same reason's the OP is thinking.

Didn't really notice much of a difference in the beer except a sour salty thing. Never saw the need to repeat the trick.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 12:47:04 pm »
Did it once a while back after reading some of the first reports about umami for the same reason's the OP is thinking.

Didn't really notice much of a difference in the beer except a sour salty thing. Never saw the need to repeat the trick.

That sounds about right... I don't even like the effect MSG has in most  prepared foods (and I can always tell when it's in there).  I think both the frenzy over the healthfulness of it and supposed allergic sensitivity to it (which is in reality very rare despite people's paranoia) is overblown...  but by and large I still think it is  a totally dispensable ingredient for any food, and the contribution to beer flavor would likely be akin to a salted meat broth.  It may be naturally derived, but I don't consider it a natural ingredient and probably wouldn't want it in my beer anyway.

Then again,  on the other hand maybe I should follow the advice I'm always dishing out and just try it before I make a judgement... I guess one could add some to a single serving of a finished beer to assess the affect. 

Still,  it seems to me that MSG in beer would be just as bad as putting saccharine or other artificial sweeteners into it.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 01:51:59 pm »
Still,  it seems to me that MSG in beer would be just as bad as putting saccharine or other artificial sweeteners into it.
But some lambics are sweetened with saccharine . . . maybe they're not to your taste either, but there's precedent.

With the supposed "brothiness" of it, perhaps MSG would work best in a rauchbier :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 02:23:43 pm »
perhaps MSG would work best in a rauchbier

Or a dumpbier
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 02:28:38 pm »
perhaps MSG would work best in a rauchbier

Or a dumpbier
:D

I'm still reserving judgment until I try it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 01:58:33 am »
You could try mashing with dried porcini mushrooms. I always thought fresh guinness has a slight "soy sauce/umami" flavor, fwiw.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 02:03:47 am »
I'm pretty sure Randy Mosher has a recipe for a mushroom beer in Radical Brewing.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 02:52:06 am »
My first "experimental" beer is going to be a fish sauce and peanut stout, for the same reason as Guinness sometimes has that soy-y flavor.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 09:34:07 am »
I'm pretty sure Randy Mosher has a recipe for a mushroom beer in Radical Brewing.

I've used Randy's concept several times to make a wee heavy that was "dry shroomed" with chanterelles.  An absolutely fantastic beer.  Randy calls his version "Nirvana".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 09:40:34 am »
My first "experimental" beer is going to be a fish sauce and peanut stout, for the same reason as Guinness sometimes has that soy-y flavor.
Sounds gross :)  Let us know how you like it.
Tom Schmidlin