Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: This is kinda bugging me  (Read 2214 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
This is kinda bugging me
« on: December 17, 2021, 03:10:43 pm »
I read this forum and a couple of others that I randomly found, and I am kinda curious.  How do you all figure out your recipes?  I am not talking clones or ones that are loosely like commercial stuff, but the ones where you just say, "OK, let's try this" type of stuff?  I am new, so this is kinda curious to me.  Is it time and experience that you kinda know what the base is, then just mix and match and see what you come up with?  I find it all very interesting.  If this is a stupid question feel free to delete it, but you guys that kinda come up with your own recipes, you guys are what I hope to be some day.  Rock on!!!!!!  Dino

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: This is kinda bugging me
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 03:16:16 pm »
Yeah, experience counts for a lot. I start with imagining what the beer should taste like, then work backwards from there. That means you have know the flavors of different ingredients, and to figure that out there's nothing like brewing a bunch.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 03:17:18 pm »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 04:45:45 pm »
I usually start with a particular style in mind. For example, my wife had a Vienna lager that she really liked a couple of months ago and asked me to brew one. I read the description of Vienna lager in the BJCP guidelines to get an idea of the end point. Then I looked at recipes online at Brew Your Own magazine and the AHA website. After looking at 5-10 recipes I had a pretty good idea of how to make a Vienna lager. Then I used that information to generate my own recipe, knowing what I like and what my wife likes in a beer. That won't work so well for an IPA because the number of recipes you find to look at would be overwhelming. You need some kind of filter to narrow the selection in that case.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 06:50:23 pm »
Thanks.  I am getting that idea too.  LOL.  I am more of a Blind Pig, Racer 5 kinda IPA, so I guess that should be where I start.  I want to get into more styles though, so maybe I will start looking at Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada and stuff like that.  My brother likes Wheat beers and I have half his 5 gallon batch here, so I might try it one night just for the hell of it.  Thanks to all who replied.  RR

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 07:00:05 pm »
I look at the recipes section on the AHA website. I mostly look at award winners for a category. I look for commonalities from the various recipes. Lots of recipes have a bunch of ingredients. I try to boil it down to a basic recipe.

I also look at Morebeer.com and see what their kits include. I buy my ingredients there so, I think it’s okay to use their recipes. Besides they put them out there for all to see.

Once I have a basic recipe I start changing one (or two) things at a time. Frankly, I never stop changing. There are always more ingredients to try. That’s part of the fun for me.

I also search this forum. There are so many threads where people ask for comments on a recipe. I read those. There are posters (past and present) I have learned to trust.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 08:59:51 pm »
Read as much as you can about ingredients; malt, hops, yeast, to help form an idea of their contribution to the finished beer. And then brew with them and take notes, lots of notes. After a while you start to know what each ingredient brings to the party, so to speak. It takes some time, but that's where the fun is, the process of discovery.

Offline BrewBama

This is kinda bugging me
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 09:03:41 pm »
…How do you all figure out your recipes?  …

1. I try to select a base or combination of base plus one each per category of the other grains (only if needed) from the ‘mash required’ or ‘no mash required’ categories below. Some beers just have a combination of base malts such as my version of Festbier: 60% Pils, 25% Vienna and 15% Munich.

**Mash:
Base: Pilsner, Brewer’s Malt, Pale (‘2-Row’, Maris Otter, Golden Promise, etc), Pale Ale, Vienna, Munich, etc.
Special: aromatic, melanoidin, biscuit, Victory, Special Roast, honey malt, amber malt, and brown malt, etc.
Unmalted adjuncts: Barley, Wheat, Rye, Oats, Corn, Rice, etc

**Mash out/Vorlauf + Sparge:
Light C malt: C#, Cara-, Crystal, etc
Dark C malt: C#, Cara-, Crystal, Special B, DRC, etc
Chocolate: Light, Dark, Carafa, etc
Roasted malt: Roasted Barley, Black Patent, Blackprinze, etc

**Boil:
Sugar: Demerara, Lactose, Brown, Table, Turbinado, Candi Syrup, Invert, etc

2. Think in percents.

3. Have you seen this:

John Palmer’s template found in his book How to Brew, Chapter 20 Experiment! — Developing your own Recipes:

“To help get your creative juices flowing, here is a rough approximation of the recipes for the common ale styles:

Pale Ale - base malt plus a half pound of caramel malt,
Amber Ale - pale ale plus a half pound of dark caramel malt,
Brown Ale - pale ale plus a half pound of chocolate malt
Porter - amber ale plus a half pound of chocolate malt,
Stout - porter plus a half pound of roast barley.

Yes, those recipes are pretty crude, but I want you to realize how little effort it takes to produce a different beer.”

4. Combining these thoughts you can end up with something like this Amber Ale (combination of base malt and one specialty malt added to Palmer’s framework):

Mash
75% Pale Malt
10% Munich
5% Victory

Add at Mash Out
5% C40
5% C120

…then substitute hops and yeast in/out as desired, as well as water adjustments.

5. Understanding styles can help. For example an American Pale Ale fits between a Blonde Ale and an American IPA in hoppiness and strength. Back off on the hops (and maybe the strength) and you have a Blonde Ale. Increase the strength (and maybe the hops) and you have an IPA. Tweak the malt-hop balance to favor the malt a bit more, and you have either an American Amber Ale or an American Brown Ale (add more crystal malt for an amber, add some chocolate malt for a brown).

6. …but don’t let the perceived ‘rules’ dictate your creativity. “The style nazi [wants] to define something as "English" or "British" is by the use of UK malt and hops. Even though beers actually brewed in Britain over the last 150 [years] have almost always contained some non-British ingredients.” — Ron Pattinson
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 05:58:17 pm by BrewBama »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 11:17:02 pm »
Awesome replies guys.  Thanks.  I honestly thought it was a pretty stupid question, but what the heck, I am the king of stupid questions.  LOL.  Thanks again.  RR

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2021, 04:07:41 am »
iMO the key to understanding how to design recipes is mastering styles. It's not any different than any other forms of traditional arts or crafts. Even the most celebrated artists and craftsmen in the world stand on the shoulders of those who came before them. Understanding how styles change from region to region really gives a brewer a peak into what ingredients do to change the flavor profile of a beer. It also lets a brewer see how simple some of the most flavor recipes really are and allow them to make tweaks that fit their preference.

The creative urge causes almost every brewer to jump in and add lots of different ingredients to their beer, it's totally natural. But understanding styles teaches brewers to use a restrained hand.

Keep recipes simple and branch out from there, changing one thing at a time. Once you have a base recipe change one or two things at a time until you get the beer where you want it. Making too many changes at one time will probably confuse you as to what has done what.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2021, 05:39:24 am »
It is a bit dated, but Designing Great Beers is all about recipe creation. I don't think the basics of recipe design have changed much; though you won't set any help with some of the new IPAs. Most of the ingredients haven't changed either. Check it out.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2021, 06:00:24 am »
I started brewing about 10 years ago. I knew nothing about brewing other than the fact that I loved craft beer and wanted to learn how to make it.  So, I read, and read, and read some more.  Then, like many of the other brewers have mentioned, I start with a style in my head.  Then I read about the style in BJCP.  Then I may seek other recipes from AHA just to get some ideas.  The rest is experience.  Knowing: as another brewer stated - “what each ingredient brings to the party” is very helpful.  So read the description of the ingredients you want to use.  Also, learn your equipment.

In the beginning, I brewed some crappy beer.  But not anymore.  Lastly, spending time in this forum also is a great learning experience; there is no such thing as a dumb question.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 06:02:41 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2021, 06:43:27 am »
I usually start out trying to find a solid recipe for the style I am making and brew that then taste it and next time I tweak it to get more or less of something. I am experienced enough know what I like and what changes in ingredients will do.
I have found that BYO magazine has well vetted recipes that can be found online easily. Ideally I would change one ingredient but I don’t have nearly the time I would like to brew so I tend to make whatever changes I need, like maybe lower or eliminate crystal malts and add more late hops.
Often my third brew of a style is completely my own recipe. But even if I like it I find it hard to resist tweaking. Like others I tend to move towards simplicity, but only if it works.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

narvin

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2021, 07:04:34 am »
I generally keep changing the recipe until it is far worse than what I started with.  But that's the learning experience!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2021, 07:46:53 am »
Know your ingredients.
Know the beer styles.
Know the processes used for different styles and ingredients.

Then you can say how do i get to my desired beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!